Single-Player Word/Puzzle Games for iPad?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Enriana, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    There are a few threads about word games that were posted in the last couple months, but I didn't want to bump an old one and wanted some suggestions. (Hopefully I'm doing this right..)

I recently got an iPad mini and love it - I have a ton of games, and what I really love are word games. I've got Puzzlejuice and SpellTower (and love them!), but I'm big on games with crossword/puzzle aspects - like 6 Letter Words, 7 Words & that entire company, The Grading Game and Find the Synonym - ones that make me use my vocabulary.

Usually I find good titles just by browsing the App Store's top lists, but the one for word games is currently flooded with "4 pics, 1 word" clones and it makes it hard to find anything else. Also, a lot of word games are multiplayer/play with friends - like Letterpress - and I tend to play on my own.

Trying to stick with free, but all suggestions are welcome. :) Thanks in advance!

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
  3. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

With regards to word games, I often play Jumbline. There's a free and paid version.

Basically, you're given some random letters, and you try to find as many different words from those letters. It's quite fun, and if you haven't already, give it a try! :)

4. JagerBombS

JagerBombS Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    W.e.l.d.e.r.

5. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    QatQi is insanely good, and free. Might be my favorite word game.

6. Enriana

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    I just grabbed the free version and tried it out - it looks nifty! How's the hint system? I get stuck with word games often, hah, and with some I'd have to pay $ or in-game currency to get them.

That's quite a recommendation! I just put it on my iPad, will give it a try shortly. :)

I have that on my wishlist currently, it looks really nifty. I'm hoping to see it discounted at some point, but may relent and pay eventually. :)

Thanks, guys!

7. strayrobot1

strayrobot1 Active Member

We are currently doing a free promotion, so grab it while you can:)

8. Enriana

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    Oh fantastic, thanks for letting me know! :D I just grabbed it and am excited to dig in. So many words!

9. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

There's an app called Word Mess that's also free (from $0.99). I haven't true it yet, but you may be interested :)

10. Enriana

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    I saw that earlier today and grabbed it - it's neat, it has a set of levels where you're finding rhymes, among others.

11. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

Word Solitaire: Aurora is also free ( from $4.99). There's some pretty good reviews so might be worth checking out also!

12. Enriana

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    It looks nifty, but sadly seems to be iPhone only. I'm kind of excited that right around the time of posting this, a few great word games have gone free/cheaper. Timing's everything, eh? ;)

13. Spell Collapse

Spell Collapse New Member

Jul 10, 2013