Which is better, Driver or Gangstar?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by dominator246, Dec 8, 2009.

?

Which is better, Driver or Gangstar?

1. Driver

18 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Gangstar

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. dominator246

dominator246 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    I've bought neither of these titles but I'm slowly closing in on buying one, and they look similar. What's your opinion? :)

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Driver. Gangstar is alright as a tech demo (and possibly for the storyline, I wouldn't know), but the police chases aren't fun.

3. sk8erdude50

sk8erdude50 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    I have gangstar, and im not saying i hate it, but since i am a HUGE fan of GTA, I was expecting a little more cause i got bored of it really quick even though I checked ta.com everyday for months to see when it would come out. I dont have driver yet, but i really want it and know that it is definetly at least 10 times better, even if u cant get out of ur car.

4. iMario

iMario Well-Known Member

Driver. Because it's Driver.

5. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    Haven't played Driver but I bet I can predict the outcome of this poll :) it's never even when you compare a hyped game that has just come out to a game that's already been out a few months.

I would say that if you are looking for a game like GTA where you can get out of the car and do missions, shoot people, etc. go for Ganstar.
    If you are happy staying in the car performing missions the entire time and, well Driving, then go with Driver. the driving aspect itself is probably leagues better than gangstar.

6. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    It all depends on your type of game. I've played the demo of Gangstar and have played Driver 2 ALOT (which seems to be similar to Driver 1 except you can leave your car)

Gangstar is a clone of GTA style games. You run around, steal cars, and shoot people, then talk to people and do some missions in the meantime. It's a fun game, and there's a good amount of content from what I've seen. I'll probably get the full thing after Christmas.

Driver is more of a driving game. It's a mission based driving game, meaning you won't just be racing other cars or doing time trial laps. It'll be something like losing or chasing another car, getting someone or something from point A to point B, ditching the cops, etc. It's a fun game, but if it's like Driver 2 it's going to have a good challenge to it. Again, I'll probably buy sometime.

7. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Gangstar. In both games, your goal is to complete missions. In Driver, you can only drive. While in Gangstar, you can drive and be outside of your car.

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    This is true, only Gangstar gives you the choice between boring driving and boring walking. Oh, and you get to be a dawg too. Intelligence ftw :)

9. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    If your bag of cats is running around, hijacking cars, shooting, and foul language, Gangstar is the game for you.

If you don't mind not being able to get out of your car, and being tied to doing missions while inside of it, Driver is the one you should get. It's a PlayStation classic, and it is damn good. <3

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    As someone who didn't particularly care for the any of the handheld versions of GTA games (not including CW -- I have yet to play it), I didn't find Gangstar particularly offensive as a Rockstar clone. But MidianGTX is right: the action sequences were too short, easy, and boring, while the driving was marred by limited draw distances and mediocre physics. And the story did nothing to make any of the proceeding any more compelling. Driver does one thing, but it does it really, really well. That's a win in my book.

11. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

I've enjoyed Gangstar for about a week, then it just got too... meh.

I can't describe it, it just didn't satisfy me after a week or two.

12. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I only had the lite of gangsta and I got driver today. I way prefer driver, better graphics by far (no jerky lines on the edge of buildings) more cars and people about. Real good cut-scenes with speech aswell (I don't know if gansta had this, but doubt it.)