Universal (a platformer where you slide the world with your finger)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by nachobeard, Dec 5, 2014.

1. nachobeard

nachobeard Active Member

Sep 28, 2013
    #1 nachobeard, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    <deleted>​

2. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Ok, now I have to see these controls for myself. Count me in!

3. nachobeard

nachobeard Active Member

Sep 28, 2013
    #3 nachobeard, Dec 6, 2014
    <deleted>

4. shadowgamerr

shadowgamerr Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Living life and Playing mobile games
    Right by your side
    The control scheme sounds somewhat intriguing, I signed up and I hope to be accepted (I may have signed up twice by mistake, not sure). Best of luck pulling it off and if it's as good as it sounds, day one purchase for sure.

5. nachobeard

nachobeard Active Member

Sep 28, 2013
    #5 nachobeard, Dec 6, 2014
    <deleted>

6. shadowgamerr

Apr 16, 2011
    Right by your side
    I gave it a try just now to see how it feels and I can tell you the level design ain't bad, the save points could be better though. I got to the bees with little to no trouble but, and it's a big but here, I think the whole dragging must be limited in terms of speed as when you start dragging it can get very chaotic if you drag very fast and it can result in unpleasant results. I tried to close the game and try again and it took me from the beginning (not much of a surprise) and playing it again got me the same strategy and results (with little to no differencies). I would love to see some secret areas of sorts, and to see how much of an impact some items would make if you have this planned.

I will give it another try in a few days to see how I will approach it differently.

Also, a little suggestion regarding device support: you should try to cover a wider array (at least iphone 5 too if not 4s and iPad 2 too) as you want to reach as much of an audience as possible.

Looking forward to how it will evolve.

7. qugoid

qugoid Member

Nov 15, 2014
    I've just signed up for a test copy cos the controls sound really interesting, definitely a watchlist item. Hope I could try it out!

8. nachobeard

nachobeard Active Member

Sep 28, 2013
    #8 nachobeard, Dec 8, 2014
    <deleted>

9. johnchiafos

johnchiafos Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 25, 2013
    Freelance Writer
    San Diego
    Fascinating. I wonder what a boss fight would be like with that style of control.

10. shadowgamerr

Apr 16, 2011
    Right by your side
    To expand on the save points, what I meant was that you should limit them a bit, they seem to be too many at the moment. I'm not sure if it's intentional for testing purposes or not, but either way it's one for the future.

I can't wait to see the progress on it.

11. nachobeard

nachobeard Active Member

Sep 28, 2013
    #11 nachobeard, Dec 9, 2014
    <deleted>

12. nachobeard

nachobeard Active Member

Sep 28, 2013
    #12 nachobeard, Dec 9, 2014
    <deleted>

13. shadowgamerr

Apr 16, 2011
    Right by your side
    I almost made it to the end, was about 6-7 jumps away (watched the video on the front page and saw it) and I think the difficulty was fairly ok for me, but then again I like platformers (in a very casual manner). If I was to try it again I'm sure I would have made it to the end and as such I can say the difficulty was ok in terms of its progressing.

The fact that you can skip checkpoints makes sense to me as I wondered why would I want it, but with some nice bonus it sure is nice (maybe you can put the checkpoints in some sort of type of variable that starts with the boolean value False and if you activate any checkpoints it turns True; at the end of the level you could just check the value and activate the bonus accordingly - not quite the expert programmer so that is just my basic approach :D).

Cheers and count me aboard every version you want to include me in.

14. nachobeard

nachobeard Active Member

Sep 28, 2013
    yeah I'm not sure what the exact reward would be, that's the thing. if you signed up to the testflight thing you'll get updates whenever I upload a new build so I guess we can all look forward to that :)

15. qugoid

qugoid Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Hey there Nacho, I went through it a few times over the past couple of days and here are some thoughts. As this is an early demo, I'll focus on the controls, which I assume is your selling point.

As expected, the controls were really fun to play with. I imagine with some practice, the player can do some insane mid-air acrobatics with this kind of precision, but that is if the controls could be more forgiving. Currently I feel the horizontal movement is unnecessarily fast. While that allows me to do crazy things like moving across multiple screens with one swipe, it also makes the 'precision' bit really difficult. Even basic things in platformers like 'moving slightly while you jump' requires focus. On the other hand, vertical movement is super slow, and deceleration takes quite some time when you reach the top of a jump arc, so it becomes difficult to predict the height and duration of your jumps. Again, this allows for some potentially fancy movement, but coupled with the super fast horizontal speeds, you can imagine how easily your character can get out of control.

On a related note, if you're aiming to eliminate virtual dpads, you could consider removing the jump button as well, the implementation feels very awkward in comparison to the touch intended movement. It's likely that this is just a placeholder and you're still figuring out how to incorporate jump into this new control scheme, but I thought I'd just bring it up.

So yeah, these are my thoughts so far. I think the controls are the most important at this point and the levels are clearly just for demonstration so it's probably too early to comment on those. Hope this is helpful!

Cheers, and congrats on the frontpage feature! I look forward to the next version :)
    qugoid

16. shadowgamerr

Apr 16, 2011
    Right by your side
    Yeah, the jump could compliment the dragging if you were to rely on a swipe gesture for example. I agree with what qugoid said about everything, horizontal too fast and jumping too slow.

17. nachobeard

nachobeard Active Member

Sep 28, 2013
    #17 nachobeard, Dec 13, 2014
    <deleted>

18. qugoid

qugoid Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Hello Nacho,

Ah, yeah I thought that might be the case. It seems that with platformers the jump and directions have to be somehow separated at the very least, unless one of them is automated (such as the running in infinite runners, or the jumping in games like Bean Dreams) That's a bummer though, if only there's a way :/

Anyway, thanks for the explanation! Looking forward to the next version :D

19. nachobeard

nachobeard Active Member

Sep 28, 2013
    #19 nachobeard, Dec 14, 2014
    <deleted>

20. nachobeard

nachobeard Active Member

Sep 28, 2013
    #20 nachobeard, Jan 14, 2015