DLC done right/wrong

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tblrsa, Feb 1, 2010.

1. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    #1 tblrsa, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
    Many developers start to introduce purchaseable Downloadcontent (DLC) into their games, but not everyone does it right in my opinion.

So here is a list of games which, according to my personal opinion, utilize DLC the right way:

- Blockoban

100 Levels for free, and 700 more as a payable content is not a bad deal at all.

- The Creeps

They maybe should have charged one fee for all three of the level packs, but then again, much work went into them, so i guess it should be okay to sell them off seperately.

- Rolando 2

No problems here either, the game can be purchased as a whole, or you may purchase the levels as you progress in the game. This way it suits every type of gamer, very clever.

DLC done wrong:

- Minigore

Many may disagree and it´s okay, but i think charging 99 cents for a new character is a bit steep, even if Santa brings new gfx to the map. Most of the chars don´t even have their own voice acting, or they just feature the old voice acting speeded up. It´s just too less for too much.

- Hook Champ

Hook Champ is a great game, no doubt. What you get for 99 cents though is 1 new character with different abilities (new hats, new dialog etc.). The DLC offers more than Minigore does, but still too less to be worth the 99 cents in my book. They could unlock both chars (Zelle and Hookbot) for one price for example, especially because the game itself is over the 99 cent mark aswell. Unlike Hookbot, Zelle doesn´t feature anything new either, only new dialog and hats.

- Pacman Championship Edition

Uhm, where do i start. First off all, yeah, Namco did a great game with Pacman CE. The DLC is another story though, as the asking price for it is absurdly high. I can´t see me paying 2,99 Euro for 100 new Missions (which are short) and 10 new courses, so i passed.

If you have a different opinion on a game, or you can list other games and share your opinion about their DLC, go ahead. :)

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

In regards to Hook Champ and Minigore, I don't really think either were supposed to provide an exceptional value, especially since the games themselves were both 99¢. They were more just offered as something additional you could optionally buy to help support development.

3. SarcasticGamer

SarcasticGamer Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    Namco's Ace Combat. I bought it and the DLC pack for the air mission but it still feels incomplete compared to Hawxs. Additional planes for 99cc? C'mon it should've been included in the first place.

4. Chrono Gear

Chrono Gear Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Peoria, Arizona
    #4 Chrono Gear, Feb 1, 2010
    Just have to defend Hook Champ a little here. While you can argue that Zelle is just another character I would argue that Hookbot adds a new exploration element. Since you don't have a ghost chaser you can explore levels to their fullest at your leisure. Being able to explore every nook and cranny really gives you an advantage when trying to go for high scores on the leaderboards. I would wager that all the top scoring players have used Hookbot for just this reason. To me this is easily the best DLC I have seen.

I'm suprised you didn't include Ghosts'N Goblins Gold Knights. Cheat DLC. All of them for the one price is a maybe, but $0.99 for each of them? When I saw it I decided to not even buy the game at all.

Similarly you could talk about SEED's DLC model. At least they went the free and please buy our DLC route. I'll probably buy some when I get around to playing it.

5. Scottlarsen

Scottlarsen Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    That is dead on. Love the series, but this one left a bad taste.

6. SarcasticGamer

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    Another one done wrong is Touch pet dogs. The game is pressumed is aimed for children but ithe lack of an offline play makes it very expensive for prolonged play.

7. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    It got too repetitive (a chore) for me to even start to consider the DLC...

8. SarcasticGamer

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    I was hoping it can serve as a distraction for my kid brother while I drive the car. But what ensues after the allocated 5-10 mins of playtime is over almost turn into a disaster for us :D

9. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    #9 tblrsa, Feb 1, 2010
    I´ve only listed games which i have played myself. Paying for cheats? This is meh, Codemasters tried that a while back aswell.