Pirate Waters

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by bootant, Sep 20, 2009.

1. bootant

bootant Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Junior Designer, Senior Coder, CTO, CEO, Chairman
    #1 bootant, Sep 20, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
    We are working on a new game called Pirate Waters.

We'd like to show you a couple of screenshots:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

and a short video:
    [hqyoutube]4pYjxKpe9Lc[/hqyoutube]

new screenshots:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Pirate Waters submitted to AppStore!

2. Michelangelo

Michelangelo Well-Known Member

Looks tight.
    BTW, happy talk like a pirate day!

3. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    Pirate day! Arrrgghh!!!

The graphics are acually pretty impressive! Unlike some 2D games

4. bootant

Aug 30, 2008
  5. Frog

Frog Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    It looks very good, but I'm a bit dissapointed that i once more looks the same as Crazy Tankz and Crazy Choppers. More of the same. Why don't you continue developing and make it like Sid meiers's pirates. That's really good.

6. bootant

Aug 30, 2008
    When we released Crazy Tanks people told us that it is very similar to BiiBall :) There are similarities between Crazy Tanks, Crazy Choppers and Pirate Waters. These games are similar, but Pirate Waters is more advanced game. It uses more advanced 3d engine. It has better graphics and sounds and we put more efforts into this game :)

We'd like to make this game more like Sid Meier's Pirates. We'd like to have some deep story, adventure and strategy in Pirate Waters, but our problem that we are very tiny team and we don't have enough people to make this kind of game :)

7. bootant

Aug 30, 2008
    Thanks! We spent a lot of time and efforts working on our 3d engine :)

8. Frog

Frog Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    I understand, but maybe you can add some things from Sid Meier's Pirates? For me, your game will be much better if you add these thing:
    - In Sid Meier's Pirates you shoot from one of the sides (and not the front) and you have 3 weapon types that you can buy in a port: chain (damage sails), grape (damage crew) and normal. I would also like to see a fire weapon;
    - The ability to sail into a port and see a menu in which you can buy new weapons, go to the tavern for tip's and talk to the governor;
    - Wind directions;
    - Ships that you can capture from enemy's and use for yourself.

These things and the open world make Sid Meier's Pirates fun for me. Offcourse the open world is difficult to make, but I hope the thing I listed above aren't very difficult?

9. bootant

Aug 30, 2008
    Thanks for ideas! We'll think about these suggestions!

You can buy upgrades fro your ship. You can sail to this structure:
    [​IMG]

and you can buy upgrades:
    [​IMG]

10. bootant

Aug 30, 2008
    new screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Frog

Frog Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Once more looks good! Are there two ships in the game? That upgrade screen looks good, but I think it is more fun if you change "Upgrade Speed" to "Cotton Sails" (for example) and "Upgrade Armour" to "Copper Plating". You understand the idea?

12. bootant

Aug 30, 2008
    Thanks for the idea! We'll try to redesign upgrade screen. May be not in initial release but in update for sure :)

13. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    Hey bootant!

Looks great, as always. However, I might add that you seem to be getting in a little bit of a rut with your games. Crazy Tanks, Choppers, and this, all seem to have a very similar gameplay mechanic...While they are all solid and fun games in their own right, I think that you could find even greater success if you tried to "break the mold" a bit.

Maybe instead of the classic arcade style you've been following with these titles, you could switch to a more open "sandbox" format. I'm sure that pirate waters will be a fun game, its just that i'd rather have seen you take a slightly different approach...(ideas below)

-instead of linear levels, create an openworld sandbox format. Think 18th century pirate GTA.
    -various ports to dock at and trade/buy supplies, crew members, upgrades, etc./recieve missions...which leads me to:
    -missions: you can keep the game somewhat focused in the "level" progression, by supplying your open world with various missions, to eliminate fleets, harbor towns, etc. When completed you could earn cash to spend on upgrades and such...
    -ok, I'm not presenting this idea very well, but you get the gist? Thing is, you current games have very little replay value. However, if you changed to a more sandbox format, and provided even just a similar amount of content, I think the longevity would increase greatly...

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm only suggesting all this because I'm a long time bootant fan, and you've demonstrated your ability to put out very enjoyable titles with unique and awesome graphics. Though its probably too late to implement any of this for pirate waters (update?) it could be something to consider in the future...

14. bootant

Aug 30, 2008
    Thanks a lot for suggestions! We'd like to make a deeper game (with missions, adventures, story). We started doing this with this game, but we are a tiny team. It is hard to do this type of game only with one programmer and two and half artists :) We concentrated more on graphics, sound and arcade action gameplay. We worked a lot on our engine and this will allow us to do more interesting games. May be we'll be able to grow our team and when we'll release Pirate Waters II it will be more like an "18th century pirate GTA" ;) Thanks a lot! And it is good to know that we have fans! Thanks!

15. NothingLikeSleep

NothingLikeSleep Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Stalker of the night
    The badlands
    Looks promising, I'll buy it, looks similar to Sid Meir's Pirates. Fletch had a good idea about the Sandbox environment.

16. bootant

Aug 30, 2008
    Yes. I like this idea too!

Sid Meir's game has more.
    Our game is more about shooting :)

17. bootant

Aug 30, 2008
    Pirate Waters submitted to AppStore!