Restore app data?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by November's Chopin, Apr 24, 2011.

1. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    I accidentally deleted one of my apps from my iPad. Does anyone know how I can restore its data? I do have a backup made in iTunes x days ago, and the backup should contain the data right? But I don't think I can simply restore from backup, as that won't restore deleted apps. But I'm afraid if I sync to re-install the app, the backup made in this new sync will erase my old backup containing the app data. Kind of awkward situation here. So does anyone know how I can re-install and restore app data? Thanks.

2. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    If you reinstall the app, you can probably restore from the backup. Unfortunately, all your other apps' data will be restored too, so you may not want that. First thing you should do is prevent iTunes from creating a backup when you sync. If you're on Windows, there is a program called Backoff that will allow you to turn off the automatic backup. If you're on Mac, I believe there is a terminal command that can do this.

3. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    I don't mind all the other apps getting their data reverted back to x days ago since I didn't play that much anyways, it's better than losing the entire app's data. Is there any way to like save the backup file so it doesn't get overridden, then choose that file when I restore from backup?

4. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    I don't think there's a way to choose the specific backup file to restore to. But like I said, you can disable the automatic backup, which will prevent your current backup from getting overridden.

5. Abi646

Abi646 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    I think if you plug it in, let the ipad backup, and then go to apps and check the app that you want, it will restore it with the save data... Not sure though, but try it as a last resort. It may work

6. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Nah, if he let's his computer backup his iPad, it will overwrite his current backup and delete his save forever. Checking the app in the apps tab will only reinstall it, but not restore the data. I wish it were that simple though :(

7. Serian

Serian Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2010
    This is one major flaw with the i-devices gaming appeal, which I hope Apple realizes and addresses soon. Game saves should be backed up, especially to make transferring to a newer device easier.

8. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Well, when iTunes creates a backup of your device, it does backup your game saves. But if you delete the game from your device, it'll delete the game save for that game. Though I do think that Apple should allow us to backup our game saves manually so we can restore it whenever we want.