UX Writer (feature rich word processor) 24.99-> for 5 days (supposedly)

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by Greyskull, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

Despite having ipad in the title, this app is, I believe, universal. I haven't tried it for long, but this is a pretty robust word/text editor. About as close as you'll get to an office suite word processor on your ipad/iphone. Supports HTML5, pdf-creation, etc. no ads or iaps.

2. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Thanks a ton for sharing.

3. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Thanks! I've been looking for a good word processor...
    :)

4. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I don't know their history, but UX was, I believe, a powerful PC text editor back in the day. If this is by the same people it will be an extremely powerful, and well written program.

5. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Free for US only?

6. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Observation: this is free on my local store too.

7. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I must have missed the boat here as it seems to have closed, but thanks for info.

8. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

#8 Habakuk, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
    Yes. It seems that the sale is over. It was definitely free for some hours here in Austrian App Store.

They deleted this part from the app description text:

Strangeā€¦

9. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    well that was the shortest 5 days in the history of the world ?

and looking at my calender, it does not seem to be the 10th June either

10. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

I asked via email if this is an error or intention and dev (Dr. Peter M. K.) answered:

11. Kubaton

Kubaton Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Louisiana, USA
    #11 Kubaton, Jun 5, 2013
    I don't care how good the app is, I wouldn't pay .99 for it now. That falls under unethical in my book.

"Let's show those pirates!"
    "No, wait. People are actually taking advantage of the promo and we're losing 24.99 per download!"
    "I'll edit the promo and hope no one noticed."

Seriously, what did they think would happen? It's a good thing common sense isn't required to obtain a doctorate.

If the primary intention was to address the piracy issue, the promo would still be ongoing. The primary goal is money, which is understandable. All credibility of the dev is gone now.

12. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    i admit you've got a fair point there.
    Cant say i'm impressed either

13. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Weird...it sounds like they made this free in a fit of anger...slept it off, and took the appstore Walk of Shame, if ya know what I mean.

14. Kubaton

Kubaton Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Louisiana, USA
    I think you've hit the nail on the head.

15. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I'm not a big southpark fan, heck haven't watched it in 10... heck 12 or more years, but for some reason when I read "Dr. Peter M. K." I imagine Cartman's voice saying it.

16. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Wow... sure glad selling on the App Store doesn't require any ethics... classy. :rolleyes:

DBC

17. airdan

airdan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Belize
    People are butthurt they didn't get it.

:rolleyes:

18. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Within your sad attempt at a biting comment lies a tragically obvious missed point... shocking on the internet, I know. :rolleyes:

I for one have ZERO interest in whatever this is. The point, which you apparently missed so grandly, is that you don't advertise a promotion and then end it within a day because (*GASP*) people are taking advantage of it.

Butt hurt? What does that even mean? Never mind, I DON'T want you to enlighten me. ;)

DBC

19. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #19 undeadcow, Jun 5, 2013
    I managed to nab UX Writer; obsessively haunting the freebie section pays off again. Based on the exchange from the developer I like to think I scored a double whammy. I showed those pirates whose boss by getting the game for free AND also exploiting the last ditch effort of a regretful developer.

...by that I mean, if you missed the freebie there's not too much to UX Writer. I don't detect any ability to change fonts, it's basically a near bare bones text entry portal (you can insert images or create tables but not much more) with ability to create PDFs, HTML, or Doc files. Serviceable yes, not worth $25 unless you're repeatedly in a bind needing to create Word documents on the go in a hurry. With a lukewarm presentation like this I half exected it to be one of the hidden emulator things.

20. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    You'll find all the normal word processing tools (including font choices and options, page layout, margins, borders, indents, styles, etc.) under the Settings tab.