I've got great game idea, all I need is someone to make it for me.

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by 20happyballs, Oct 28, 2009.

1. 20happyballs

20happyballs Member

Sep 7, 2009
    #1 20happyballs, Oct 28, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
    I've got a game idea which I think could be rather successful, depending on how well it's advertised, and would be very addicting. I would try and make it myself, but I don't know how to program let alone own a mac. Any developer out there willing to make my game and split the profits?

The game could be made really simple, but it can also be advanced. It just depends on how good of a developer I can find for it.

And it's one of those HIGH SCORE type games.

Of course I won't add the description of the game here in this post, so just reply and I'll get back to you.

If you do decide to develop my game idea, the profit would most likely be divided along the lines of this:

If the game makes over X amount of dollars,
    then I'll get 30 percent of anything over X.
    However, if the game makes less than X amount of dollars, then I get nothing.
    And X could end up being a high number depending on how much effort you seem put in.

2. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

You are pulling all of our legs, right? :rolleyes:

3. 20happyballs

20happyballs Member

Sep 7, 2009
    No, am not. It's just that I really want this game made, but I can't do it myself. I really think that my idea has potential.

4. NickFalk

Well, sorry to bust your (happy) balls, but if you do a search of these forums I think you'll find your request to be overly naive. Everyone seems to have a great idea, but only a handful (admitedly a large handful) are able to turn these ideas into games.

As such, asking someone to do all the work for you and split the profits. As a (smalltime) developer myself I'll tell you that the main problem is actually finding the time to complete my own projects. I have lots of ideas, some bad, some good and a few potentially great ones*. Even the great ones have little chance of becoming hits in the App Store at the moment unless I put some serious cash behind the marketing effort.

*Now, I just have to figure out which ones are good and which ones are bad.
    (figure out = take a wild guess).

5. 20happyballs

20happyballs Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Well, there is no harm in trying, right? It's not like I'm forcing anyone to do this. You never know, maybe my idea is great, and maybe I'm also really lucky. Yes my chances could be slim, but I'm not naive.

6. NickFalk

I'm not saying your idea isn't good (how would I know). I'm not saying you are naive either. Your original request however, is. I think you'll find you have to bring a lot more to the table than "just" an idea to get your app made. Good luck though!

7. 20happyballs

20happyballs Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Okay, I do admit that my request is a bit ridiculous. But I have no other way than trying this. Obviously, your not a taker, but there are others that are interested. Actually, I've had two people pm me and I'm going to send them the concept of the game, via powerpoint, so that they can see whether or not they'll do it.

8. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    in anycase - spliting profits is normally based on effort. no-one is going to blindly sign up and go 50/50 for something if there isn't an equal contribution on either side.. contribution means a few things as well - idea, coding, art, audio, marketing and reputation.. just bringing an idea wont get you a 50/50 split :) as NickFalk has identified.

9. 20happyballs

20happyballs Member

Sep 7, 2009
    I was never thinking to propose a 50/50 split, or anything more than that actually. I was going to see what you guys said first.

10. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    exactly :) dont worry.

there have been a lot of "ideas" discussed on these forums that end up going no-where as well - because the blind reality is that it costs time and money to do anything.. you need to put this into the project; if you dont have the time; you cannot do it.. you might get lucky tho :)

at the same time; you might not also get everything you want - its all part of the negotiation and you need to balance the +vs with the -ve's. in the end it doesn't hurt to try.

11. Yffum

Yffum Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    2 questions

1. Can you say the game genre?

2. Is it 3D/2D graphics?

12. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
  13. sumiguchi

sumiguchi Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Developer (Business Apps)
    Canada
    Aside from the idea will you be doing any of the other "non-programming" work?
    Artwork, sound effects, music...e tc

14. Yffum

Yffum Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Ummm, I can make 2D art and animations using Illustrator and Flash if you're in need of a 2D artist...

15. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    LOL this thread is just funny.

16. coachmcguirk

coachmcguirk Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2008
    #16 coachmcguirk, Oct 31, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
    I was thinking the same thing.

17. Frej444

Frej444 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Highschool
    Copenhagen, Denmark.
    I think it's great you're doing this, me and my brother are also trying to learn how to program, as i too have some very fine ideas. My brother approved them to be good, and came with his input, and he goes on this Elite High School, so he's quite bright, hope we'll find out how to do this, but remember, start out small, then try bigger things later :p

18. itman

itman Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    I would do it. And all I ask for is 110% profit. You pay me the other 10% for developing your game. OR. You could make a computer version and I'll think about making an iphone version more seriously.

19. Theta-Omega

Theta-Omega Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Classified
    You're better off asking someone to take your idea into account and allowing them to keep all of the profits if you ever want your game out on the appstore. Finding time to actually try and make game ideas is hard enough already, and typically the person with the idea wants to do more than "make sure it gets out there."

20. uberarcade

uberarcade Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Software Developer
    Nashville
    The thread is kind of funny but I will give you a serious reply because I like your enthusiasm.

If you really want the app made and think you have a good idea you need to come up with the funds up front to pay a developer. Get some friends together and pool up some money or take out a loan. :) Plus you need to protect your idea and. Anybody you work with needs to sign NDA's and so on with you. If you try to get somebody to do it for free they will never complete the work because something more important always comes along. Money talks and that will get your game made. Depending on how elaborate of a game you want made the cost may not be that bad.