Poke! Upcoming Block Game with a Twist

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by samw3, Apr 3, 2009.

1. samw3

samw3 New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Indie Game Dev
    Georgia, USA
    #1 samw3, Apr 3, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
    Hello All,

I'm developing a Match 3 type block game that has the twist of a back board and being able to flip it around and play the back side. It's currently about 30% done.

I would like to ask what you all think about it? Comments and criticisms are quite welcome.

Below is a couple of screen shots, and a video of it which is really cool to watch, imo.

Thanks!

Sam

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. grid

grid Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    iPhone Game Dev
    Minneapolis, MN
    This looks really cool so far!

What's the plan for how the pieces will be removed? Just normal match-3 and they disappear? Will more pieces fall down from above at that point? How do pieces get onto the board to begin with? I really like the pushing to the other side mechanic, but I just don't know yet how it's going to translate into an actual game.

What happens when you push a piece and there's already a piece behind it?

What about the "clear" blocks? What happens with them?

I wonder if you might want to have blocks with holes in them. You could have different shaped holes, and different colored blocks with different shaped holes in them. All sorts of fun possibilities open up then. Or different shades of translucent blocks.

Oooh... and what if it weren't just two sides, but rather a + when viewed from above? Then there would just be that many more options. (heh.)

Very nice concept, I look forward to seeing it a little farther along!

3. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    #3 Zincous, Apr 3, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
    Why are there 2 "flip" buttons? Don't they do the exact same thing? (except the animation) but is that worth having two buttons?

EDIT: ok I see you said 30% done. Nice, game play idea, it's cool. I like it so far.

Things you need are points, an area for a score. Animations for how many points are made after a match is created.

4. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Hi Samw3! Welcome to touchArcade.

Thanks for sharing what you have so far. The graphics and animations look like you have actually spent some time on this. Looks nice so far.

5. Spiral75

Spiral75 Well-Known Member

Looks really cool graphic wise. I like how the game pieces have different looks to them (i.e. the graphics inside). I think different backgrounds would be cool. Kinda like how Bejeweled 2 has different backgrounds each round (except theirs are cheezy landscape backgrounds imo). I think the background you have now is nice but maybe add different colors just to give the different levels a new look

6. samw3

samw3 New Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Indie Game Dev
    Georgia, USA
    Thank you all for the great comments!

@grid, yes it will be match 3 or more to remove, but the game play aims to be really fluid so you can sneak blocks in and get combos. Pushing blocks of the same color to the back will create a super block which is worth more points and also boosts your star combos. But I think I'll save talking about the star combos until I have something to show as a visual aid. Both the concrete blocks and the glass(clear) blocks are unmatchable but glass blocks will crack and break under load, so you can use them to set up big combos if you like. Thanks for the other suggestions. I'll see what I can work in :)

@Zincous The reason for the two flip buttons was for rightys and leftys, but you are right they are kind of redundant and I could just have an option for righty/lefty. I was needing a spot for a pause/menu button anyways, so thanks for helping me think through that! :) Points and score are coming soon.

@SSquared Thanks for the complements, the graphics were fun to create.

@Spiral75 You read my mind :) Not only will there be varied colors for the backgrounds they also animate a little to liven things up. You can't really see it in the youtube video, but the background actually sways a bit as you play.

Please keep the comments and critiques coming! I'd like to make this a game that you'd love to play! :) I'm very encouraged by the responses and will be keeping this thread up to date as I make more progress

Cheers!

Sam

7. anduril_ukr

anduril_ukr Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    i actually detest match 3 games, but your game looks like it would appeal to fans of those games.