James Bond 007 Goldeneye

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by invader07, Oct 22, 2009.

1. invader07

invader07 New Member

Oct 14, 2009
    This by far was one of the best games for the Nintendo 64. Anybody know if it might come to the iPhone?

2. SparkyBlue

SparkyBlue Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    Still at school
    Bonnie old Scotland
    Not really, Rare as far as I know are Microsoft only this gen plus this problem has already happened when the rumoured "Golden Eye for Xbox Arcade" rumour was around, It can't happen because of Licensing issues

3. Sfv818

Sfv818 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Buying Apps!
    California
    Ya Goldeneye was the BEST game for Nintendo 64!!! I wish they could pull it off for the iPhone, that would be AWESOME!!!

4. franny

franny Active Member

Oct 7, 2009
    nyc
  5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

If you're talking about the multiplayer portion, yeah, it will be released soon, it's called Eliminate. ;)

6. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    that would actually be kinda dumb to bring it to the iphone. i can imagine the controls being horrible and the game laggy as hell

7. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    I think it would be epic! I don't see why you automatically think the controls would be bad and it would be laggy.

MC:S got the FPS controls right. I think every or most FPS's should mimic the same control scheme.. No reason they couldn't use the same scheme for Goldeneye... Maybe a tilt to strafe option..?

And as far as it being laggy, I mean it's an old game.. 10-12 years or so I would think. I'd bet iphones have just as much horsepower or more than N64's.

Besides, both controls and optimization are development concerns. It depends on the Dev. Look at Duke Nukem. There is no reason why DN should lag and have bad controls.. it's a 20 yo game! The Dev's dropped the ball. If the right Dev could port Goldeneye, and do a good job, as I said earlier it would be epic!

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The controls for Goldeneye aren't great anyway. Does anyone actually remember that you can't move the gun sight around and move at the same time? Pretty much mean no shooting up or down unless you're standing still and holding R, because the same (only) stick was used for both walking/running and moving the crosshair.

9. Kintaro360

Kintaro360 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Vienna
    I wished they would bring up Mariokart 64 - the. we would finally have a gkod kart racer on the iPhone.

10. Outkast1

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    That's true but it still doesn't mean they couldn't take the MC:S formula and use it. N64 just had funky controls period. It's almost impossible to come up with a decent emulator scheme... Any port on this device is going to have to make sacrifices somewhere imo.

11. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Turok control scheme >>>> Goldeneye 64 control scheme

In Turok, the c buttons where forward, backward and strafe movements, and the analog stick was free look. So you could move and aim at the same time.

The only good thing about Goldeneye's scheme in comparison was analog movement, which helped quite a bit in the game as it was more stealth oriented.

Then again, that's comparing default control schemes.

Goldeneye did have the far better control scheme overall, but it was only accessible if you used two controllers at once (one for movement/strafe, the other for free look). Pain in the ass to duck with that scheme though.

12. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    One of my favorite dasterdly tricks was playing as odd job and crouching the entire time. It's so frustrating to shoot him when he's like that. Coupled with the magnum it was an unbeatable combo!

13. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    lol

That's why I used to pick Elvis (the alien) in Perfect Dark. Short like Odd Job in Goldeneye, but even more difficult to hit because Elvis is so skinny, and his walking speed, even when crouching, is pretty fast.

My trick was find a spot in an air duct, grab laptop guns and put them in sentry mode (stick 'em to walls and they'll autotarget anyone who comes near) and hide in between them.

Good times....

14. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Oh, and I used to shoot proximity mines onto opposing players on my way into the air ducts. :D

15. Outkast1

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    I love proximity mines! We always had a rule where you couldn't play as oddjob :) What the hell was my character... oh ya, Arctic Commando :cool:

16. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    God what a great game! Can't believe not a single updated version has been released since then...(I mean goldeneye specifically not the lame tomorrow never dies etc. games that followed)

17. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I always preferred Goldeneye's controls to Turok. I guess it's because Bond is a secret agent it kinda felt right that I should be stopping to take my shots anyway... running and gunning is more of a sci-fi over-the-top kinda move. It had an auto-aim anyway so it was still possible to shoot while on the move, you only had to stop for the precise stuff like shooting cameras and alarms.

18. Outkast1

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    Yep same here. btw- anyone have Turok for PS3? multiplayer is pretty fun.. there are dinosaurs you have to deal with on the maps, and there's this mode you only have a bow and your knife that's a lot of fun

19. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I picked up the badass steelbook edition for £8, didn't like the demo enough to pay full price but at that price it was a bargain.

20. Outkast1

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    I just picked it up a couple weeks ago actually for $20. My buddy has it and we don't have many common games to play online so I got it just for that.