Universal Mos Speedrun (by Physmo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Apr 6, 2011.

1. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    It's a well-made game alright. Just completed the second world. Some of the time medals are pretty hard to get. The game plays like League of Evil in a way, but adds some new things to the table. The ghost option is interesting. Can't say I like the graphics too much though. League of Evil and the games by Rocket Cat are good examples of pixel art done right in my opinion, but to each his own. The levels go by rather quickly as it's another platformer based on speed, but that's okay too since you'll probably be replaying quite a few of them. Not bad at all in any case.

2. Lonan

Lonan Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2009
    loving the game. the mos controls are okay. feels a bit like wrestling with yourself but it gets better. will try finishing game with them on my second go through. but my preferred controls are d-pad. very smooth. so far the levels are fun and a challenge.

good game. worth the $2. looking forward to updates already.

3. mikeg123

mikeg123 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2009
    I agree with others that the default controls aren't ideal. I don't know, they didn't really work for me, though they might grow on me after time. The d-pad seemed good enough.

But spending a lot of time playing speedrun-type games like Hook Champ and Super QuickHook, I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of "best" time information in the game. There is absolutely no mention of best times anywhere in the game: not in the level select screen, not in the level itself, and not in the level end screen. And I don't even see a button that will take you to GC (that is minor as it is easy enough to start GC and then task switch to it, but come on). That doesn't matter as my best times are being uploaded to GC.

So those are probably minor points for most players, but that stuff just irks me. Otherwise, I really like the graphics and the simplicity of the game. The physics seems pretty good overall.

4. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Thanks to the developers for the promo code!

Game's awesome, but yeah those Shift type controls just don't work out for twitchy platformers. I know developers love to go for the buttonless control scheme like the Chop Chop devs, but right now it's fleeting philosophy flying in the face of an established standard.

The virtual controls work and work magnificently, and should be the default control setup.

Other than that the game is awesome, the updates will be eagerly anticipated as with LoE. I wish there was an option to toggle through having 5 ghosts follow you around, to just one, to none at all. :)

5. samje

samje Member

Oct 13, 2010
    yeh mos controls started driving me crazy after a while. lucky the d-pad controls are good.

would be interesting if you could load ghosts from other players.

6. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Its awesome right? told you. :)

7. nyarla

nyarla Well-Known Member

I just gotta throw in my 2 cents... I like the 'mos' controls the best :) After I just kept using them and got better at them I find em really satisfying.. Dpad style might be best for a more explorationy platformer but I think the 'mos' style was a good choice for this game. Just my opinion..

When it comes to running through a level over and over again trying to beat the time limit, it's a matter of memorising it all, sort of like you'd memorise the subtleties of a track in a racing game... this is where 'mos' controls excel.

Game Center is being a bit weird for me, I can only see two scores for Mos Speedrun. My score was on there but has vanished.. I want some Speedrun battling! Maybe I should reinstall it...

8. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    http://www.touchgen.net/mos-speedrun-review

[​IMG]

9. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Love the game. And I definitely use the default controls, much better than on screen button stuff from yesterday.

10. klb.

klb. Active Member

Dec 17, 2010
    #30 klb., Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
    I really like the game too, great art and looks aswell as design. The default controls sucked though byt the onscreen buttons works great! The coins/skull/time requirements for badges work great.

I don't get the clock that is on level 4 on world 1 and on level 5 on world 2 though? it's not explained, so what's that about?

Also on gamecenter there's just 3 players on the leaderboards? And it's not explained how the time that is submitted works, the average time for the world? Like somebody said you should definitely be able to see your best times easily too, and a gamecenter button in the game would of course be good too.

Funny how enjoyable platformers on iDevices can be if done right with the device in mind. I'm talking about this, LoE and Pizza Boy, all the other I have tested is shit.
    Edit: The hookchamp-series, Karoshi and Pix'nRush are also very good, not sure if they're considered platformers though.

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Really enjoying this, prefer the buttons to be on screen but they seem pretty large

The ghosting thing is of no interest to me, just like going through the levels. Seems quite a small game but really enjoying it. Some much longer levels would be great.

But very happy with the purchase, great old skool action. Mario Land with a bit of League of Evil graphic wise

12. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    This game is so good, but also short so i will play it slowly, just a couple of levels per day so i dont have to wait an eternity (it will seen like this even its a shorter time than expected :p) to get the new levels.
    BTW, when is the first update coming?

13. klb.

klb. Active Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Apparently the clock on each world (I keep saying that because levels and sublevels would be confusing) is the time that's submitted to the leaderboards. Personally I think that the added time for all the levels in the world would be better, with an easy way to see your best time in each level of course.

Also still just 3 players with submitted times on my gamecenter, wat

14. nyarla

nyarla Well-Known Member

Ahh I get it.. Re-played the world 1 time trial level and my score appeared.. "all time" scores still only shows mine and the two dev scores. "today"/"this week" shows Boardumb as well. This might just be Game Center being slow to propagate scores.. I've seen inconsistencies like this, and delays in scores appearing on GC at first with a couple other games before.. I bet everyone's scores will start appearing after awhile..

15. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
    What do you guys think about this game when compared to the League of Evil?

16. steviebwoy

steviebwoy Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    I'd say it's very nearly as good. I absolutely love the game, but LoE is the pinnacle of platforming on the iPhone imho.

That said, Mos Speedrun is already immense. I was a little unsure of the controls for the first few levels, and I didn't think they were quite responsive enough and in trying to do large leaps I'd quite often end up doing a silly half-jump each time I'd landed. This is purely down to human error in timing though, and you quickly learn when to release the jump button to avoid this from happening.

A double jump isn't there, which would be handy in some instances, but I think giving Mos limited abilities makes her feel more vulnerable and innocent - likewise, I think the ability to kill baddies would take this away too.

I'm already loving the fiendishly hidden skulls that are on each level. The great thing with this game is, like LoE, that each level contains 4 different challenges:

- Reach the end
    - Complete the level in a certain time
    - Collect all coins
    - Collect the skull

This means that on the first run-through you can just try and get to the end, then try to get to the end quickly, then get all the coins, and finally try to find the skull. Doing this for all 20 levels is going to take some time, so there's definitely replay there. Of course, once you've got the speed badge, you can take your time in finding the skull, and you don't have to do all four badges in one sitting, which is great as it means you can just play the game casually - one of the many merits of LoE too.

All in all, so far, I'm loving the game, it's responsive, fun and a joy to play. In my view, if LoE was a 9.8/10, this would be a 9.7/10.

In short, it's freakin' ace!

17. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I always read Mo's Speedrun ...anyone else?

18. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'll probably check it out.

19. steviebwoy

steviebwoy Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Ooh, maybe, it certainly makes more sense! There should definitely be an apostrophe if so though!

Just read this from Jared's official TA review:
    Does anyone know anything more about this? I've not seen any links so far :)

Also, I love Jared's idea of just having the ghost of your fastest/furthest run, rather than having loads of distracting Mos (or Mos's!). I wonder if the devs would consider this?

20. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm hoping it's better than LoE. The level design in that left a lot to be desired. I was just going through the motions... nothing was very difficult, I was three-starring levels on my first attempt AND collecting the briefcase en route. It was like the levels had no character, y'know? They almost felt like they could have been randomly generated.