Puzzle to the Center of the Earth - by Foursaken Media (Spelunky + match 3)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Foursaken_Media, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

#1 Foursaken_Media, Sep 4, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    Hey everyone, we're finally ready to announce one of the next games we've been working on for the past few months - Puzzle to the Center of the Earth!

Puzzle to the Center of the Earth blends exploration, "match 3" (Dungeon Raid "drag to match 3+ blocks" style), platforming, and puzzle elements.

In a nutshell, players will drag to match 3 or more blocks to destroy them, creating a pathway for your character to journey through and explore the area. There are over 80 huge levels across a variety of different environments. Find hidden treasure and secret passages, avoid dangerous enemies and obstacles, solve intricate puzzles, and ultimately dig your way downwards to the core of the Earth!

The great news is that we're probably about 95% done with Puzzle to the Center of the Earth (just polish now), and we're shooting for an early (tentative) October release :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. brothamannp11911

brothamannp11911 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Here we go again ;)

Spelunky is a big name to reference, bros...

So how do you fight those 20 green monsters?! Combat, avoid, etc?

3. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    OH HELL YEAH!!!!

YAY another teaser game from FM

With this almost done and Phantom Rift coming out. You mugs are about to be stupid RICH :)

4. jared9876

jared9876 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    Wow this looks awesome! Is there combat?

5. aconfusedkender

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    It looks like those 20 greenies just got the better of your little spelunker

6. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Different enemies require different things/strategies to take them out or avoid. For these plants, if you combo through them you will kill/damage them.

No actual combat. You'll use strategy and platforming to avoid most dangers.

7. SirHanet

SirHanet Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Halifax
    This DOES look like Seplunky but with a sprinkle of 10000000. And I am excited!

8. brothamannp11911

brothamannp11911 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    TOO MUCH FOURSAKEN ALL AT ONCE AHHHHH...

Magical cartography
    Colored block excavation
    Large edifice defense

9. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I am really looking forward to this cool game. 95% done and an October release? Wow!

10. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Ohhhh man I can't wait again. My hair is falling out. Ending the year with a Big Bang and there is still one more to go ! You guys are the $&@).

11. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    I was just talking about match 3 and 2.5D in the other thread too. :p

12. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

I know haha... I had to restrain myself from saying anything :p

13. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013

14. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #14 JCho133, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    Finally!

This looks sooooo sweet. I love games that add depth to match 3s (since this technically isn't a match 3 RPG)

15. cdkilgore21

cdkilgore21 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Looks awesome!!

16. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Oh hey... guess what? i found a new time sink!

17. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    This looks potentially awesome.

I see some sort of double energy thing in the upper right corner...which is the pricing model?

18. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    No way, Forsaken Media makes a freemium game, right? That would signal the end of civilization as we know it.

19. aconfusedkender

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    I like to refer to them as "time bandits" :p

20. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

#20 Foursaken_Media, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    It will indeed be a free game... but have no fear and read on!

So, the game does have x lives with a timer to recharge a life (each life has 3 health, so its not insta-death) - very similar to Candy Crush, etc (don't curse us just yet!). The energy icons you see are the in-game energy required to break blocks (necessary in order to add strategy to which combos you are getting, instead of mindlessly bashing out the entire map :p). The red energy is something called a "catalyst". By getting big combos, you can collect catalyst energy. With catalyst energy you can use different formulas to perform different actions (ex: blue-red-green might explode in a huge blast, clearing out a huge grid of blocks). This adds a really neat element in that you have to actually explore and "scout" a good route down through the level... you CAN get stuck if you haphazardly dig yourself into a ditch, so you'll always have to be careful and plan ahead!

I know people hate the dreaded "timer", so we also have a one-time IAP that gives you permanent lives, completely removing any and all timer elements from the game.

The reality is we have to explore different payment models as the app store changes. I know there have been some recent premium successes (Wayward souls, for ex), but they still appear to be the exception so far. Who knows, maybe this will flop (we already tried Bug Heroes 2 as free and quickly changed that), but I feel like we need to find some things that work for both us AND our players. Having an option to remove timers we're hoping bridges that gap.