Universal Wayward Souls (by Rocketcat Games) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2014]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 23, 2014.

1. ryanini01

ryanini01 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Behind you
    I don't have an account... Again, I don't know why

2. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Does Kepa still visit this thread? It'd be nice to just have a little touch-base from him even just to hear what's going on with Rocketcat to those who don't use Facebook.

3. Makoto

Makoto Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Hi guys, I heard that there will be a 4th type of saint statue if you keep all the first three buffs to the next level, did anyone find it?

4. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    No, where did you hear/read that??

5. Makoto

Makoto Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    #3865 Makoto, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    Well, I seem to have heard that from Kepa in this thread, but since I can't find the statement anywhere now, maybe I misremembered. The only statement I can find now is from wayward souls wikia, and it doesn't offer any picture of the 4th type.
    I luckily preserved all 3 buffs for some levels last night, but didn't meet any more statues before I got hit… maybe it's just a rumor :(

EDIT: I got 3 buffs at around level 7, and lost them at Lv 15, between which no statue showed. And after I got hit at Lv
    15, I encountered statues again at later levels (began with lv 16), which were the 3 known types. Sad, probably just a rumor :(

6. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    did the other game from this developer as good as wayward souls?or what other game from this dev that you guys recommend??

7. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Mage Gauntlet. And I dare say it might be just as good, in both very similar and very different ways. The action is much the same* (thankfully!), while the content, progression, narrative and structure is very different.

Regardless, you REALLY want that stuff as well!

* To the extent that the protagonist of Mage Gauntlet plays much like yet another class for Wayward Souls, one very similar to the Spellsword.

8. wateracid

wateracid Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    iCloud

Omg still struggling on silver dungeon, any idea when is iCloud sync coming?

9. Makoto

Makoto Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Hi guys, I wonder if anyone got any news about WS from Rocketcat? I'd like to check their Facebook page myself, but FB is blocked in our country…

10. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    Just beat the third dungeon for the first time
    I feel pretty relaxed.

11. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Anyone know a way to reset progress without reinstalling? I want to play from scratch with the MFi controller.

12. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    If you have access to a computer(won't work with iOS 8.3 or higher for now) or have a jailbroken device you could delete contents of games documents folder.

13. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Or i could reinstall the app through my computer. LOL.

I guess there's nothing in-game then.

14. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    In love with the game again. Purposefully deleted and reinstalled (lack of reset option) just so i can play the game from scratch again.

15. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Someone on facebook told me to check out the Toucharcade thread. I haven't visited in awhile, have been really busy.

I read all feedback I can. Though yeah I also have a pretty clear idea over what direction I want each game to take. I also try to play around with the design and direction of each game and try new things, so it's unlikely that everything I make will be exactly what everyone wants. And that seems ok by me! If people like every single one of our games and see no flaws in them, it probably means that we're not trying hard enough to innovate.

Updates before PC port: I was planning on one, but now I'm not so sure. We'll try to make some time but I really have no idea haha. Same with stuff like updating older games... we really want to, but we somehow need to make time for this while still working on new games.

AND NOW ABOVE WE SEE CLASSIC GAMER ENTITLEMENT
    Crying indie auteur tears, leaving twitter forever.

I still feel kind of bad about that! I think it was a language barrier thing mostly. Or a misunderstanding of tone. When I communicate I mostly have a super matter-of-fact tone.

Mage Gauntlet was pretty cool, and was a completely different game. Early next year, we might be able to release a followup to Mage Gauntlet and Wayward Souls that's kind of a mix between the two games. Or like Wayward Souls, but like a small Zelda sort of game. Big hand-crafted dungeon you explore, and find items that let you access new areas.

Some people just couldn't "get" the swipe for Wayward Souls. I kind of want to go back and add a swipe option to Mage Gauntlet, while also adding a buttons option for Wayward Souls. Likely thing is we'll do this for the Zelda-y followup, and then port it back to previous games.

PC port will hopefully be out in October or so. After that it becomes too dangerous to launch stuff on iOS until January.

Death Road Mac port: No port needed because it already runs on Mac. iOS port: Very, very likely.

Nice. Though I'm not sure if a cultist win even counts because Svala is OP.

Yeah I'll start visiting the Death Road thread once the PC development dies down.

Working on Death Road to Canada mostly. I manage the team for Dad By The Sword, but don't do development on it directly. ORIGINAL ROCKETCAT team is working on Wayward PC and the Zelda-y followup. I'm also doing design for that one-handed tactical RPG I was working on, but this gets delayed a lot due to problems with development and me just being really busy on other stuff.

Hello

That was actually planned but I think we never quite implemented it. I can't remember if it's in our partial update that we never got around to releasing. I think it might be the case that I just talked about it, and we never actually did it.

The Spellsword is essentially just Lexi from Mage Gauntlet, but nerfed considerably. Lexi attacks faster, has much more attack range, her one-use spells hit like 3 times or 4 times as hard off the top of my head, and she has the option to attack even faster (but weaker) if you wail on the screen. She'd probably get some nerfs for a planned big sequel (that we want to start on early next year), but she's supposed to be a really strong character story-wise.

16. guzzla

guzzla Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 12, 2015
    For anyone that has played this on both, do you prefer on the iPhone or the Pad?

17. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Ipad!

With an MFi controller! ;)

18. Makoto

Makoto Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Kepa replied!

19. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Going to revisit this game. I beat it with warrior last time I played, any recommendations on what class I should beat it with now? Can't decide among rogue/spellsword/adventurer

20. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I dunno, it's all personal preference. Try them out and see which one seems to appeal the most to you at the time?