"Buttonless" book on iOS games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by keithburgun, Dec 1, 2011.

1. keithburgun

keithburgun Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Game Design, Author
    Westchester, NY
    Hey guys. Just thought I'd let you know that there's a new book coming out that features a ton of info about some of the best iOS games. It's got backstories on a lot of the games (including my game 100 Rogues, which, thanks to the magic of the alphabetical ordering system, comes first) too.

Right now it's just in pre-order mode, but anyway thought I should pass it along to y'all. Check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/Buttonless-Incredible-iPhone-Stories-Behind/dp/1439895856/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

-Keith Burgun, Lead Designer @ Dinofarm Games

2. Halfbot

Halfbot Well-Known Member

Cool! We're in this book. *Shameless plug*

3. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    We're in it as well, with our game Compression. If you're at all interested in some of the behind the scenes in game creation, give this book a look!

4. Adam Atomic

Adam Atomic Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Indie Game Dev
    Austin, TX
    Canabalt gets a few pages in there too :)

5. nickd3000

nickd3000 Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2011
    indie game developer
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I second this! I've seen a preview of one of the chapters and it's very interesting - really looking forward to getting a copy as it has the back-story and info about the development of a lot of games I like.

Mos Speedrun is in it too, very excited to be amongst a list of other great games!

6. davecazz

davecazz Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Pocket God makes an appearance

7. Madgarden

Madgarden Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Galactic Game Creation Overlord
    Kitchener, ON
    Fargoal is in there as well, whee! Everyone should check it out! NOT JUST FOR FARGOAL OF COURSE. ;)

8. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    As does NimbleBit!

9. RaptorF35

RaptorF35 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
    Very clever to get all the devs to 'sign' this thread, now I want to read it!

10. woodn

woodn Active Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Game Developer & Graphic Designer
    Switzerland
    And «No, Human» is in it too :)

11. BlueDog

BlueDog Active Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Indie Game Programmer Extrordinaire
    Rhode Island
    Perhaps this is a shameless plug, but our game Cow Trouble is featured in Mr. Rigney's book! :)

12. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    #12 stfj, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
    Halcyon is in the book too :)
    and actually, i'm pretty excited to read about all your other stories. The app store is such a strange and interesting place to develop in

13. Venan

Venan Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2010
    You'll also find the story of Space Miner within said pages as well. I'll definitely be picking up a copy just to read the other stories.

14. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Secret Exit managed to sneak in to that book as well - a madman's ramblings about the development of the Zen Bound games are included.

15. OneManLeft

OneManLeft Well-Known Member

The harrowing tale of Tilt to Live is also in there, including details on Alex's sex scandal!*

*Not in there.

16. Frogatto is in this book as well, and our semi-affiliated game Wesnoth! I saw a couple preview chapters, and it seems quite interesting.

17. Touch Foo

Touch Foo Well-Known Member

Our game Soosiz will also be there. Should be quite interesting reading the stories. :)

18. BrokenKings

BrokenKings Well-Known Member

May 13, 2009
    Some of you might remember earlier this year when Broken Kings tried releasing a game every weekend...well, the story of our most successful title from that, Dirt, is in there as well :)

19. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Wow, all these devs telling how their game is there! Might as sell pick it if dad lets me :) Waiting on Rovio to comment here, lol :)

20. untoldent

untoldent New Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Cassie and i were thrilled to have the story of Sissy's Magical Ponycorn Adventure covered in the book. It goes to show that there's a real difference between a critical success and a financial success when it comes to app development. And if you've never considered alternate rev streams like merchandising, i highly recommend it. Buy this book!

- Ryan