How NOT to make an indie game

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Rubicon, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
  2. EvilArev

EvilArev Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Thanks for a good read! I must say I'm with you on the whole marketing thing - trying to stay away from it and wishing it would be just the game's quality that counts... Yeah : )

3. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Yeah, that would good huh.

Good luck with your project. If we made it with all that against us, it should be a source of optimism for anybody!

4. MarshMelon

MarshMelon New Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Game Developer
    USA
    Very informative read, thank you. Even knowing about some of the budget and pr pitfalls mentioned, I still find it difficult to side-step them!

5. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Aye, I hear that.

It's very easy to mistake "knowing we have a problem" for "knowing how to fix it" :)

6. [M&B]Games

[M&B]Games Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Fantastic read. AS GLWG and GBWG being some of my favorite iOS games I am very glad to see that post and the trials you went through and even the income. I hope they GBWG was a lot smoother for you guys.

7. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Well, maybe a little smoother. :s

8. brokenknight

brokenknight Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Game Developer
    New York, NY
    Thanks for this, I feel the more I see articles like this the more I'm worried once my group's first app launches we may not have done enough pre-work.

I know there is no exact formula, but more thorough pre-release development and marketing can make all the difference I suppose

9. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    I think it's more important than the quality of the game in all honesty. There's so much competition about that getting people to try your game has become the #1 challenge. Only after they try does it matter if its any good, iyswim.

10. hungrylizards

hungrylizards Active Member

Maybe you didn't make it big, but you didn't go into the red.

You spent: $190,000
    You made: $500,184

So, between the 5 of you (if split equally) would have $62K each in bonus (because it said tech was included in the $190K).

Also, was this the only project this particular team was working on?

Plus the bump you'll get from being on the front page of VB.

11. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    #11 Rubicon, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
    Um, we started $190,000 in the red?
    You're forgetting taxes
    And considerable mortgage interest
    And a ton of other expenses
    There's no bonus - that figure is /all/ the pay available
    No noticeable bumps

It's not all we've done. More to come on the sequel project which is where the remainder of the money went.

12. Appvism

Appvism Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
  13. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #13 ScotDamn, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    Excellent Article

Well it seems you're learning the marketing side (hence this story) which is a great move. I enjoyed the read very much. Also, I can relate just being pre-launch in the non-tech business world. :eek:

As far as contacting the right publications to help sell the game, I think you're looking at it the wrong way. You're looking at it as a consumer. These are business relationships and you can be looked at as a success; at least in regard to brand awareness. I mean who doesn't know about your war games? I'm sure there are people but with so much crap released on the App Store every hour, yours certainly stands out as a quality title. Even compared to some other strategy games; Great Little War Game is, well great!

Anyway, I'm positive people want to write about and sell your next title. If you think about it, it's a win win. That is, after all, why a lot exist in the first place. I've learned this through personal experience with my own start-up company and it's true across the board I would suppose. It seems you've learned this already with Venture Beat!

It sounds like you have a business consultant and that's great; I hope this helps you achieve the success you certainly deserve. Although pulling from my experience, this was a double edge sword. Sure business experience comes with it but so does a definite expense which can hurt companies such as mine with little working capital. But again this is just my experience as a startup.

In the end you have talent where talent matters and you can't teach that. You can however learn marketing and finance. I personally hope to someday start designing and programming games and would be happy to be in your position respectfully.

I wish you the best and please keep us in the loop for your next title! Great Little War Game: For the Win! ;)

PS. In case it came off the wrong way, please don't take my post as an all high and mighty lecture, I think this is a very interesting topic and enjoy the discussion. Mobile gaming is growing enormously and everyday seems to be more of a viable business for the indie!

14. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Far from it, Scot, thanks for the encouraging words. Good luck with yours too. :)

15. LordFoul

LordFoul Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the informative read. I've been working on a game for quite some time now, and it is a bit scary to see how much more has to be done, outside of just developing the game itself.

Good luck on the next title!

16. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    You probably won't want to read the next one then tbh...

It's finished, just looking for somewhere big who wants to publish it, having learned the pr lessions in part 1.. :)

17. james.raymar

james.raymar Member

Aug 21, 2013
    great thanks for sharing nice info though

18. jAc0297

jAc0297 Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Student
    Interesting

Great story, very interesting to read. Thanks for posting!

19. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK