Quick game trailer question

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by CycloneKick, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Hello, I'm pretty new here to these forums, and I am nearly finished with my first iOS game. I am starting to make a trailer for this (most likely to put on Youtube), but I was wondering about the general consensus on whether gameplay footage should be placed inside an image of an iPhone. I think it would look fine, but in order to fit the iPhone image into a Youtube player (I think it is 640 x 385 or so), I would have to shrink the actual gameplay video from its optimal 480 x 320 size.

I've never made a trailer for anything before (though I think I can figure out how to do it), but I wanted to get some more experienced opinions first. If I don't include the iPhone image, should I keep the 480 x 320 size of the footage or would that look too small and out-of-place for a video on Youtube?

2. Clockworkapps

Clockworkapps Well-Known Member

Record it at HD (with retina display) and then use a video editing package to overlay it on an image of an iPhone.. you can always go down in quality once you have a nice high quality video ... but you cannot go up in quality if you have a low quality video.

This might help http://www.teehanlax.com/blog/iphone-4-gui-psd-retina-display/

I actually had a old copy of Motion 2 and managed to do it all with that (after screen grabbing with quicktime x (running in Unity)).

good luck

3. Vetasoft

Vetasoft Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    all other trailers use the same resolution with the same iphone on the screen. So, do the same, don't take care about the true size, if the gameplay is visible, it's OK.

but, my best advice is, forgot the old youtube resolution and work in HD 720p (1280x720) you will not loose any pixels even with an iPhone.