Unique iPhone Games!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by istopmotion, Dec 25, 2008.

1. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    #1 istopmotion, Dec 25, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
    Hey, I want to know what games available in the app store are unique to you and why. I'd like to know what other games you think are worth mentioning that are different from the hundreds of Sudoku apps.

One of my favorite examples of a unique game is Platypus. The reason that I think this game is so original is because it is just a simple arcade/sidescrolling shooter game... But the game was made from many photos of clay models (similar to clay animation). I really want to buy this game, but it's a little too expensive for me right now :p

A good example of a popular type of game with a unique twist is 7 Cities - TD. Most people know that there are many Tower Defense games on the app store. But the reason that this one is so special is because of it's leveling/upgrading feature. Each tower can be level up based on the amount of kills they get, towers can recieve new skills that make them more powerful - when they level up enough, and they can be upgraded an infinite amount of times.

Those are two excellent examples of unique games, but now I'd like to know of more. If you have any games that you know of that are different from most, please post about them.

[Edit] Another game worth mentioning is Radio Flare. It's another sidescrolling shooter, but it uses music as part of the gameplay.

Thanks, I can't wait to see the results of this thread :)

2. jborislow

jborislow Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Check out Passage... it definitely is unique... for many reasons...

3. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Yeah, I saw that when it was released earlier today. :p I think a more appropriate word to describe it is "special." It's a very special game for very special people. ;)

4. Fazzy

Fazzy Well-Known Member

I would like to talk about Sim City! It's one of the only games with a little "TM" after its name!

5. CrispsInnOut

CrispsInnOut Member

Dec 24, 2008
    I like :
    Skybound for it's visuall look and boss mode. The gameplay is cool, but normal boss is not that original allthough it's fun to play. Boss mode is a bit more original, and fun to play.

Pop
    Addictive and nicely executed.

6. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Another game worth mentioning is Radio Flare. It's another sidescrolling shooter, but it uses music as part of the gameplay. I definitely want this game but I'm waiting for the price to drop a little before I get it. :)

Um, ok... I guess that makes it unique :p

7. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Anyone else know of any strange/different games that we're not used to seeing?

8. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
  9. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    urban tycoon is unique = the crappiest game possible. :D

10. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I have alot of the popular games, but a unique game to me is ZoneOut. The reasons; I never tire of it. It is as if it calls out to me "you don't have the global high score, punk" then it's on, I play for at least an hour every time I fire it up. The global leaderboard will keep me coming back infinitely.

11. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    +1 :d

12. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I strongly disagree.

This is the crappiest game ever (although Urban Tycoon comes pretty close).

To get back on topic, I don't think this really makes the game unique. Many games offer online global leaderboards. I'm looking for games that aren't regular games you could see every day. I'm looking for games with features that aren't usually added into the game. Sorry for the confusion

13. illucius

illucius Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    I think Touchgridn is the most unique game for the iPhone. Mainly because of the controls for the game are so unique and not possible to pull off on other platforms.

14. MaskU2See

MaskU2See Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Philly, USA
  15. vaelsh

vaelsh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Rexburg, ID
    I am going to be a die-hard and say that one of my most favorite apps of all-time, Soul Trapper, is very unique. (And awesome!):D There is no other app like it! It is the only "Audio Adventure" to date! But more are coming...

16. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Thanks for the posts/comments. Those are exactly the type of games I'm looking for. They're excellent games and they're not like most of what we see in the app store now.

17. Hello

Hello Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    California;
    what about zoom zoom?
    this is unique since its voice controlled racing, so yeah.
    its also one of the few apps that embarass you in public! :D

18. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    I like the idea too, it's amazing. I just feel the execution isn't the best possible way. I myself can't really think of a better idea as I'm not a skater, so I definitely don't know the experience and everything. But from a gamer point of view, Tony Hawk is more enjoyable than watching the board the whole time.

19. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    As much as I don't like that game for being pretentious like christianity, I know some people love it and I must admit it is unique in that it has a very strong message. It's nowhere as crap as Urban Tycoon - the empty lies, the fraud game, whatever you call it.