Game loft 4 Unreal Engine games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Nicoipad, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Nicoipad

Nicoipad Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    I hope that N.O.VA 3, Gangstar 3, Modern Combat 3 and a new series,

2. Vee

Vee Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in your imagination
    Lol. I'm guessing that Gameloft will be using the URE almost exclusively now. I heard that the deal they made for it was pretty expensive, so they won't be moving on anytime soon ;). Looks like your dreams are coming true!

3. leslie2233

leslie2233 Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Me too I think That Modern Combat 3 & Gangstar 3 should get it this year then N.O.V.A 3 & Hero of Sparta & spiderman should get it next year because Gangstar 3 & Modern Combat 3 were more successful & better than N.O.V.A 2 in my opinion

4. Xyo

Xyo Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2011
    A gangstar free would be fun!
    I'm expecting alot this year from Gameloft, iOS wise.

5. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    The upcoming 4 UE3 Gameloft games could be anything though, sequels or no. Though like most others think, it will most likely be NOVA 3, Gangster 3, and Modern Combat 3, and then some other gameloft game that could be anything from Shadow Guardian 2 to Zombie Infection 2 to any other game of sorts.

A thought.....do you think Gameloft's upcoming game Backstab will be powered by UE3 when it comes to iOS?

6. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    Those three and GT Racing: Motor Academy to kick the crap out of any iOS racing game. Then eventually a console breed Starfront one.

7. superzarop

superzarop Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Dum question here but did gameloft buy URE from Epic?

8. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    They used money.

9. superzarop

Apr 15, 2011
    Of course they did, I was wondering if Epic sold them the engine.

10. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    No..you don't sell an engine. You ask for a percentage of the revenue a game using the engine makes..and that's going to be the case here most likely unless Gameloft was able to pay some kind of face-value to use the engine 4 times in the next two years. If they bought the engine, then they wouldn't be limited to using it only in 4 games in the time span of 24 months.

11. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Yes, but that's really too bad that only 4 of their games are going to use the engine :( Hopefully they're making their own engine better and revamping it because their graphics look old.

12. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Yep, the cartoonish artwork really has gotten old in these past few years :[. They used to be at the top..now, not so much. In a way, it's almost sad that the company who used to lead the iOS in graphics is now paying a larger console-based corporation for its technology. But, I guess it's what the customers want.

13. pmckean

pmckean Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Very few firms have got the expertise, time or money to develop their own 3D engine. Gameloft did well to get this far. It's no shame to license something as venerable as URE.

Unreal Engine started off on the PC, implementing the original Unreal and Unreal Tournament. It was always ahead of its time, competing only with ID software's Quake engine.

A note of caution, though - the extra detail and graphical sophistication comes at the expense of speed. I have my doubts that Gameloft could get an FPS running at the same speed on URE with all that extra detail (well, without an iPad 2 or iPhone 5).

Time will tell, I guess.

14. superzarop

Apr 15, 2011
    But what engine is Dead Space then? The graphics look just as good as Infinity Blade, but still runs smoothly even though it is a TPS, which is pretty close to a fPS.

15. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Selling the Unreal Engine to Gameloft would probably go down as the worst business deal in gaming history.

16. superzarop

Apr 15, 2011
    I wouldn't agree. Gameloft actually does a good job at copying existing games onto the iDevices, combined with the Unreal Engine, we would have some real quality copies. And hey, Epic gains money from it to further improve their engine and games(hopefully).

17. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Um, Epic Games isn't going to suddenly come up with another competent engine instantly. They make console games. No amount of money Gameloft gives to them can match up to how much they earn from the hits they've produced on consoles. Allowing other companies to use the engine by borrowing it is definitely the best choice. They get a pretty good cut of the revenue plus demand for their engine increases every time it's used.

18. superzarop

Apr 15, 2011
    #18 superzarop, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
    I don't get your logic, I argued that selling or lending the URE was a good thing, and so are you, still I think you are arguing against me.
    Also, I said improve their engine, not making a new engine.

Edit: Oh I get what you are saying. I know Epic didn't SELL the engine, as in giving the entire thing for money. But I use the word "sell" as I can't find any approriate words for letting someone use something and getting some of the revenue. "Borrowing" doesn't do the trick either.

19. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I think you interpreted Midian's post wrong then. He meant Gameloft taking full possession of the the engine, not just borrowing it.

20. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    Licensing might be the term you're looking for superzarop.

I am actually quite happy that Gameloft licensed the Unreal Engine - but not so much for the graphics (in my opinion the Gameloft engine displayed excellent graphics) - I think though that they will have access to a better AI engine than their own, which hopefully they will take advantage of.

My guess is that their games will look similar graphics wise to their previous work other than the use of shaders. I doubt their actual graphic assets (3d modelling and textures) are likely to change because of an engine switch.