Tapjoy was hacked. Are you affected? They do not compensate our losses

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by the_binary_family, Mar 22, 2012.

1. the_binary_family

the_binary_family New Member

Feb 4, 2011
    Dear fellow iOS developers & app marketers,

After our unbelievably frustrating experience over the last weeks, trying in vain to get Tapjoy (https://www.tapjoy.com/) to share the details about the hack into their system, and to compensate us for the damage it caused, we are looking for other developers who are affected.

We are concerned that our losses, of which Tapjoy has only repaid a fraction (and only after countless emails from us), could total over $15,000.

After we recently received our detailed account info (CPI), only for September to December, we had to conclude that at least 70% of our installs were clearly the result of hacking (and over 90% in December). For example, the majority of the installs we paid for came from countries where we do not actually sold apps (e.g. Algeria, China and Hong Kong).

Confronted with this evidence and our persistent demands for compensation, Tapjoy has not reacted for the past two weeks. We are concerned that this situation is not a one-time problem, but that the whole system may be compromised.

If you are a paying Tapjoy customer, we would recommend that you review all your account statements closely and check their plausibility.

Please feel free to contact me by email and to forward this post to any other colleagues who might be affected.

Thank you and best regards,

Thorsten

2. lolzappan

lolzappan Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2012
    That's concerning. So was it finally resolved? Tapjoy seems to be one of the big ones in the industry and if they behave badly that's not good for the smaller guys.

3. http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/Tapjoy+news/news.asp?c=39188

Pocketgamer picked up the story. I've never heard about the hack on Tapjoy. Based on the info here I can only assume that you are paying for installs through their service where users can earn bonus currency? Is it possible that they can do this by installing your app through a jailbreak and illegal means?