What makes for a great TD game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by CharredDirt, Mar 9, 2012.

1. CharredDirt

CharredDirt Well-Known Member

I played guns and glory. I don't know, it didn't sit that well with me. I had a hard time mentally keeping track of where all my little tiny guys were at. It was a good try at a different concept but you're right, it did kind of get annoying being forced to constantly shift your guys around. I am starting to be keen on the ability to move turrets but I want it to be an occasional thing for strategic planning, not move all your guys around the map constantly.

2. CharredDirt

Any other Likes/Dislikes about Tower Defense games? I've got a great list started and could really use some more input.

3. araczynski

araczynski Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    only other thing that comes to mind is great effects, both visual and auditory. also little things like swaying background grass/trees, water moving, maybe an occasional bird flying by, or birds fleeing from a tree when the first kaboom goes off :) just stuff to draw you into a little world.

4. NoThru22

NoThru22 Well-Known Member

First of all, I can't believe people are recommending GeoDefense for graphics. The vector graphics thing is cheap, lazy, and played out. Don't try to replicate that.

Second, play Kingdom Rush, iBomber Defense, and Sentinel 3 to see tower defense games with depth. You shouldn't copy any of these, but you should try to accomplish at least that amount of depth. I like persistent upgrades and the perks introduced in iBomber are just great.

Third, however you do it, don't make just "another tower defense game" or you won't be successful.

5. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

Well I'm recommending Geo Defence for classic tower defence gameplay done right. There's few games that I repeat played over and over but Geo defence was one of them.

Add the original Dekstop Tower Defence to that list.

6. MarkDF

MarkDF Well-Known Member

May 17, 2011
    Sound is a very important aspect to draw me in. And I don't mean background music, but sound effects for towers firing or charging or whatever, enemies moving and dieing, etc.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I dont think vector graphics are lazy at all, when done right they look stunning and make some 'average' games look brilliant. Vector graphics have always been popular throughout the years, at the end of the day its about the gameplay. Vectors are crisp and look great, as long as the gameplay is great i dont really mind to be honest.

But again gameplay is key, dont go for some crazy control method which you might think is great, think of the actual players themselves.

8. CharredDirt

To be honest, GeoDefense seems like a solid TD game but hasn't bowled me over yet. Games like GeoDefense and Desktop Tower Defense are great only because of the gameplay. The graphics are simple and don't get in the way of the game. I understand your concerns. Charred Dirt Defense will be attractive graphically to lure people in to play but I definitely like deeper gameplay. I know being challenged to come up with new strategies is what really gets me hooked on a game. I think the HEB elemental damage system and the ability to move and terrain height/range modifiers are going to be enough to keep people hooked. I've got lots more in store as well.

9. araczynski

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    geodefense and the sequel were both great games, i'm typically not a vector lover, but those two games presented them perfectly i think. perhaps my preference for the genre had a big impact on that perception. I just wish they took the time to make it universal, i think there's a ton of gamers out there that haven't played it, and would love to if it came out on the ipad.

when i started with ios gaming i only had the ipod touch, but since getting the ipad i don't bother buying any iphone/ipod only games, can't stand the small size anymore, or the pixelated look on the ipad.

in any case, i'll second the ibomber td games as pure hotness, love the sound effects and art in those games, plus everything just feels so liquid smooth. in general i love anything WW2 themed.

which reminds me, please make the art in a manner so that enemies taking 90 degree turns don't do so in one frame, that 'tron bike' effect is so annoying in all td games i think.

10. CharredDirt

I know what you mean about the tron bike effect. I had thought about putting interim sprites in on the apex of the turn but I realized that my enemy sprites would go from having to draw each a two different angles to drawing them from 5 different angles. That's an extra 150% more artwork needed. I'd really like to put it in but I have to be realistic with how much I can handle.

I may have to check out the Bomber Defense game if you say its that good.

11. GSnyder

GSnyder Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2010
    I'm puzzled by the love for iBomber Defense.

The graphics are gorgeous, no doubt - in fact, the game is a clear contender for "best-looking tower defense game on iOS". But I found the gameplay to be shallow and unimpressive. This is a good example of a TD game where any old haphazard play style works just fine. What's the point?

12. araczynski

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    #32 araczynski, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
    you sound like someone that probably thinks tiny heroes is the best thing since sliced bread :)

haphazard play style (to me) = fun. i'm not interested in playing a puzzle game where the point of the game is to figure out the exact combination of units to use and in an exact position to solve a level. haphazard = variety = flexibility = fun.

all that aside though, i just love ww2 themed anything. the audio is brilliant, and the pacing is spot on. but to each their own of course, there's plenty of 'great' games out there that i find to be drivel, and vicea versa.

13. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I agree with you I hate the TD games that only have one real solution to play a level theres no replayability, I quite like iBomber myself but I haven't played the new one.

14. CharredDirt

I just got a new defense game, Total Defense 3D. Its one of the more innovative defense games I played in a while. Hovercrafts that can go off the path, turrets that burrow from the ground up, multiple upgrade paths, all make for a really fresh TD game. If you guys are looking for a good new one (while you wait for Charred Dirt Defense of course) you should check it out.

15. Endair

Endair Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    I think that besides all the things you say, the unique idea for Tower Defense type game is also important. If you make Angry birds tower defense, where you have birds (it's not popular anymore) or tower defense where you defend your body against viruses or something - it's a completely new perspective.

16. CharredDirt

Yeah, I can definitely see putting a fresh spin on the TD genre as a way to make it different. I don't see my game going that direction but to use the Creeps as an example again, defending your sleeping boy from monsters in his dreams is definitely a different theme.

17. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I hope some enterprising developer or developers see this thread and make the next awesome TD game...the genre is just begging for something new and original.

18. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    For me, I like Simple UI, simple story, fun gameplay. Sort of like Com2Us' TD game.

19. CharredDirt

I am an enterprising developer and I started this thread with the intent of making my game better because of your feedback on what makes a good TD game.

20. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I have played a number of TD games and the only ones I have played to completion were Pixeljunk Monsters on PS3 and Kingdom Rush on IOS. Both were extremely polished, attractive and had excellent gameplay balance with a well implemented increasing challenge level. I also enjoyed Jelly Defense and The Creeps HD on IOS, but there is something special about those first two games I mentioned that I found addictive that kept me wanting more.