Great Little War Game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Rubicon, Mar 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    #1 Rubicon, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
    Hi guys. We have a turn-based strategy game coming soon for all iOS formats, and our first promo video can be seen here:

The website is on the to-do list, but I wanted to share the vid with you all as soon as possible. The game itself is in late Beta and should be up with Apple in a week or two.

2. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    I forgot to mention that we'll be looking for some beta testers with either an iPad or retina phone/pod. (The game will be available on older model phones too, but not 3G as it's too slow to be fun on that)

If anyone is interested, please PM me with your details (and UDID) and I'll get back to you at some point when we have a worthy build. Hopefully some time early next week. Sorry if that's a bit vague, we're doing plenty of our own testing atm and its a bit hectic.

3. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Looking great Rubicon.

Does it play anything like Advanced Wars? If it does I'll pick it up as soon as it is released. :)

4. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Thanks, Nick.

It sorta does, yes. We're not going to pretend we weren't influenced by it in part, but this is not meant to be a clone either. Hopefully we've brought our own unique flavour to the genre. :)

If this game does reasonably well at the box office, it's certainly something we can go on extending with too!

5. towelll

towelll Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Looks stunning, you have done a great job with this! Should sell well.

6. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    #6 Marcus70, Mar 3, 2011
    Wow, the gameplay looks like a lot of fun. Looking at the video, it looks like you've made a turn-based strategy game with unit building design taken from real-time strategy games. Can't wait to play this!

Will this be playable on older IOS devices, like the 2G touch and 3G iphone?

Also, I love all of these great TBS games coming out in 2011 :)

7. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Thanks for the encouraging comments guys, I do hope the game won't disappoint.

Sadly it won't be for 3G or older devices. It does technically run on 3G, but the frame rate we're able to achieve isn't pretty. It rips along nicely on 3GS or above though.

8. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    WOW.

I mean, that looks fantastic.

You should incorporate L.O.S. and "overwatch" mode.

9. steviebwoy

steviebwoy Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    #9 steviebwoy, Mar 3, 2011
    Holy Jesus, that looks absolutely STUNNING! Blimey, that game alone might even convince me to buy an iPad! I'll definitely volunteer for beta testing when the time comes, please! Have an iPhone 4 already, but it would look fantastic on a bigger screen..

Just as an aside, and please tell me to shut up if you like; but have you thought about releasing this on the current gen consoles? Something like this is sadly missing on the 360, and I honestly think it would sell by the bucketload on the Xbox Live Arcade. Any thoughts?

Good Lord, this really does look fantastic! How far down the road with development are you?

10. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    #10 steviebwoy, Mar 3, 2011
    Hm, I'm not sure about that. It's not really squad level tactics in the same way as "Hunters:Episode One", this one looks a lot more like Advance Wars/ Cannon Fodder. Some sort of terrain interaction would be good though.

Again, great work chaps! Loving the graphics and animation too, this sounds like a trip to the Isle of Wight to me! :D

11. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Assuming you refer to Line of Sight, that's in already. The little men can hide behind walls and trees and stuff. There is also a range advantage to be gained from taking higher ground. A well placed sniper can shoot for miles. :)

You /can/ fire through buildings and other units though as the gameplay wasn't as good without that little rule bend.

12. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Wicked.

It's the finest looking thing in it's genre.

Thanks.

13. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Just re-read your first post, sorry, I skipped it a bit in all my eager beaver excitement!

So the game's pretty much ready then, aside from beta testing? Have you got many maps/scenarios and a skirmish mode in there?

14. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have to play this on an ipad then :)

15. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Thanks. :) This was designed primarly for the iPad and modesty aside it does play really nicely on that. It's certainly the device everyone wants to test on! I'll make another announcment wrt testers asap but I'll add your name to the shortlist, thanks.

We have thought about it plenty tbh. Our engine would enable the game to port fairly quickly to most formats, but the one I really want to get on after iOS is the new PSP2. Dunno how viable that market is going to be, but the machine itself looks almost as cool as my iPad. :)

You'll have me blushing in a minute! We're about there actually. I'd say it's at "developer finished" status, which sadly is never quite the same thing as "other people agree its finished" status!

16. dansu

dansu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    At least now you can get a new iPad for $399 or refurbished one for $349. I think I'll pick up an iPad 2 because I can hardly wrestle my wife's iPad out of her hands...

Anyways, I agree with everyone else. This game looks amazing. How much is it going to cost?

17. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Never mind the iPad! I reckon this would look much better on my 40 inch Samsung in the lounge! ;)

For the 360, I think your biggest competitor would be something like Worms, or Attack of the Genos, but they're both very different to this one. There are so many people on Xbox forums I visit that are crying out for a proper strategy game like Advance Wars, you really would sell this by the bucketload. There's so many people you could reach with the game on the 360 Marketplace; I kinda think that releasing it on the PSP2 would be a little bit too limited?

Have you got pass & play multiplayer? If so, then this would really lend itself to the 360 too, either online or local. You could release this on the Indie Games label as I think it costs next to nothing, but I think you might be selling yourselves short; I'm sure it would sell well as a full Xbox Live Arcade release.

Sorry, this is all a bit off-topic for the iOS. Is it better than I e-mail/PM you about this? Just throwing ideas around really!

18. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    There are 20 maps/missions in the main campaign you get with the game and there's an IAP pack with a 10 mission bonus campaign for an extra buck, all those missions being pretty hardcore battles.

Sadly no skirmish mode. It was intended all along but frankly we had to cut it due to running out of money. If we make decent sales and do a sequel, then a skirmishing mode is at the very top of the list - I want to play that myself.

19. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Holy crap! It looks brilliant. Finally a TBS for my iPhone that looks good, I have been waiting a loooong time. Thanks to the dev, this style of game is criminally lacking in the app store.

20. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    I guess I shoulda stated that at the start. I'm hoping not to kick myself for it later, but we're doing the basic game for a dollar with a HD version at 2.99.

There's been quite a debate about price point here, but the bottom line for me is actually the bottom line. We could probably do decent numbers selling higher, but we're hoping to get more than double the sales that we would at double the price iyswim. And even if it works out even, I'd rather more people got to play the game.

There's an in-app purchaseable campaign pack for another buck and also a bunch of extra voice packs for a buck each too if you really feel like supporting us. The different accents are a load of fun - I especially like the "yokels" :)