New apps have a built in time delay before they move up the charts?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Syndicated Puzzles, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

1 to 25 Lite released late evening Jan 14

Lots of downloads definitely putting it on the top 100 in one of my categories
    (Have a free app with 15 times less downloads in the same category at 50)

Noticed also that 1 to 25 Lite isn't paired up with any other competitor apps. (recommendations/ also bought)

Questions,

Is this delay new?
    How long does it take for an app to make it on the charts?
    How long does it take for an app to be teamed up with competitors apps on the info page?

Would be good to keep an eye on this!

2. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    I'm not sure what you are asking.

The charts use a weighted system, over a span of about 7 days. The last 3 Days are weighted heavier. You can actually have less downloads today, and still rise in the charts if the two previous days are significantly higher.

Since your title was released yesterday (evening of the 14th has little significance), then you are missing 6 other days, 2 of those days being significant to the charts.

Give it a full 3 days+ and you should see it do something if your numbers hold.

3. Syndicated Puzzles

#3 Syndicated Puzzles, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
    Flickitty,

I have way more than enough downloads to make the list. I really do think that there is a physical time delay. (something new?) Just would love to know if anyone else has noticed this. Checked all new apps they aren't teamed up with other apps as well (also bought) So maybe the chart positions starts when the app is teamed up with "also bought"
    Never noticed this delay before!

4. Syndicated Puzzles

Just went to Apprankings ( thanks Glenda!)on my phone, 1 to 25 lite has no rankings in 70 + countries (not possible!) So unless it is my app specifically that isn't working or there is a time delay before an app enters the charts.

5. MikaMobile

MikaMobile Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Read Flickity's response again - a single, awesome first day will not make an app show up on the charts instantly, the actual position relative to other apps is based on an average of several days downloads, with the most recent days being weighted heavier. So for a new app, that means your previous several days (where the app wasn't even on sale yet) count as zero and effectively pull your position down. It takes at least 3-4 days before your position on the charts will be accurate.

6. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  7. BlueSolarSoftware

BlueSolarSoftware Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Austin
    Do you still have to do the release date trick to show up on the new releases? One of my new apps isn't showing up on the list.

8. Syndicated Puzzles

Thanks Dave,

the name 1 to 25 has been a disaster from day one on the app store. It is listed under "T' and didn't show at all for a long time. So I think the chart isn't picking up the name or something like that. So it probably is the app. Still no movement in 70 countries as well. Some countries take 1 download to make it in the top 100.

9. Syndicated Puzzles

Your app will show up under 5 pages of apps!

Yes you do!

10. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    The lite does seem to be helping the paid app. 1 to 25 Number 156 in Dice Games (+3 today)

11. MikaMobile

MikaMobile Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I'm not sure what those links are supposed to illustrate...

I'm basing my assumption on data gathered from our last released app. OMG Pirates! outsold Zombieville on its first day and for many days after, but it didn't actually overtake Zombieville on the top 100 chart until the 3rd-4th day of consistently higher sales. That seems pretty self-explanatory to me.

Also, to the OP: the recommendations/what others bought lists aren't usually populated until there are enough downloads for it to draw some conclusions. It doesn't typically appear on day 1.

12. Syndicated Puzzles

They show an example where an app instantly makes in it on to a top 100 lists. So Dave illustrated to me that there is no waiting time for an app to make any of the top 100 lists. In other words he answered my question perfectly.

The good thing is your response is 100 % correct as well. It is possible that 1 to 25 Lite actually doesn't have enough downloads yet to make any lists. The downloads are diluted by the 7 day calculation that I might have to wait until tomorrow.

So what I take away from this is if the name doesn't have a search problem I should make the list tomorrow.

13. Syndicated Puzzles

#13 Syndicated Puzzles, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
    I guess one thing still remains unanswered and that is when the "also bought" section of an app gets populated by iTunes. I guess it makes sense an app has to have some form of history to be paired with a similar app. 1 day , a week, two weeks?

14. Syndicated Puzzles

1 to 25 Lite had a lot of downloads again. Still no movements on the charts, definitely a problem with the app it self. I sent a message. So the charts are obviously active the moment your app hits the store. Sorry for the confusion.