N+ the way of the ninja for iphone??

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by foxmulderino, Jan 17, 2010.

1. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    Why isn't there an iphone version of this great game named N+????
    Please some developers hear my request! i will pay 3.99 for it!

[​IMG]

official site:
    http://www.thewayoftheninja.org/

:D

2. Quinlan

Quinlan Member

Oct 17, 2009
    The way I see it, the game wouldn't work well with the normal virtual controllers out there. If some dev. got a game out like this, I'd be interesting in how they worked out the controls.

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The DS version sucking doesn't help matters much, but if they actually got it right on iPhone I'd be all over it.

4. Quinlan

Quinlan Member

Oct 17, 2009
    It would be a great game to use DLC.

5. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    WOW! $3.99?

I'd probably pay $9.99

6. Videotape

Videotape Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    student, journeyman
    pallet town
    the ds version absolutely did not suck, not quite the same as the pc version but good in its own rights... and the controls require waaaay too much precision to pull of a port

Jet car stunts is the closest thing to N+ on the app store lol, at least to me :p

7. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    If this game were to ever get onto my iPod, my iPod would be history in a matter of minutes. Not so much the frustration of the game, as the controls they'd implement. Nothing can achieve the level of precision tactile buttons can. I can't even drag with precision in Finger Physics.

8. jstg

jstg Active Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Dock Worker
    Washington
    I remember reading a post on theTA forums saying that someone emailed the devs about it, but they said they weren't really looking into it because they didn't think they could come up with a good control scheme that wouldn't take up half the screen.

I'll try searching for the thread. I know it's buried in here somewheres...

9. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    why bother porting it to iPhone when everyone will only buy it for 59p when it's worth £15 on PSP when they could just make a new project for PS3/PSP/360 and get a hell of a lot more money.

10. Sixxes

Sixxes Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Maybe, but how much longer does a PSP game take to make than an iPhone game? And the cost would be much higher, too :)

11. KGameLover1

KGameLover1 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    SO WOULD I!!! I love this game.

12. Toast Games

Toast Games Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Mobile Application Developer
    Louisiana, USA
  13. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

ha, looks pretty cool! how many levels are there? cus N has LOADS

suspiciously similar to N though...

14. DusT_HounD

DusT_HounD Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    @Toastgames:
    i still believe you should rethink your strategy on those graphics. If your game engine is good, then you can still have it as a ninja- and obstacle- based game.

Currently, it's a ripoff, and those graphics are barely disguised. You've obviously put a lot of work into the game, so why not make it your own?

15. jalfonsosm

jalfonsosm Member

16. metanetsoftware

metanetsoftware New Member

Mar 27, 2015
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    hey everyone,

Mare from Metanet Software here -- I happened on this thread while randomly reading through this forum for other games and decided to make an account to post and answer some of your questions.

First of all, thanks so much for playing and enjoying N and N+! As developers, it's always really great to hear that people have had a good time playing the game that you made. It never gets old ;)

About N on a mobile platform: believe me, we've thought about it, for a long time -- we also wanted N on mobile because we knew it would be great to play on the subway or bus. Its little bite-sized play sessions are perfect for that. We even made some quick-and-dirty prototypes, but they only ended up confirming what we already knew was true, and which a few people in this thread have already said: N/N+ needs physical buttons. The game is so precise and fast-paced, you need the immediate haptic feedback from physical buttons: any lag makes this game frustratingly unplayable. and since you know the game, you know it's already really difficult and occasionally frustrating! If it were more so, all the fun of the experience completely disappears.

In order to make it work on iOS or Android, we'd need to change the game so much that it wouldn't be N anymore, and we feel that that would cast a shadow on the rest of the series. N feels the way it does because Raigan (the other half of Metanet Software) and I wanted to play a challenging, old-school platformer with a modern, physics-based twist -- it didn't exist, so we had to make it ourselves. But to water that down and remove the specifics of what sets N (and N+) apart from other platformers would erase what makes it special, so that's why we're not interested in porting to a platform that isn't well-suited to the game.

That's also why we made N+ on DS/PSP, so that we could have that experience of playing in transit, but it would still be a good game. Unfortunately, we weren't very happy with how it turned out: the developer Atari hired to do the port didn't care as much as we did about how the game felt, and since we weren't paying them, there was not a lot we could do.

So we decided to take matters back into our own hands. Did you know that we're making N++, the last game that will ever exist in the series? It's true, and even better, we're almost finished. you can find out more here:
    www.nplusplus.org
    www.metanetsoftware.com/blog

It'll come out on PS4 first, and if it sells well enough, we hope to be able to afford to bring it to PSVita, to finally fix all those mistakes made with mobile versions.

I know I'm pretty biased, but I gotta say, N++ is awesome, and I know you'll all really like it. It's better than anything we've ever made, and it only took us ten years ;)

If you want to know more, check out those sites, or feel free to email us with questions. I hope you'll all give it a try when it comes out!

cheers,
    Mare

17. metanetsoftware

metanetsoftware New Member

Mar 27, 2015
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    I also have to take a minute to note a few things about Ninjascape, and the other games that look like it, which DusT_HounD nailed.

While we think it is wonderful that people like N so much and are so inspired by it that they seek to recreate it where it doesn't exist, we have a question: Have you thought about what inspiration really means? It doesn't mean cloning. Look at the credits page in N: there are several games which inspired Raigan and I to make N, such as Zone Runner, puchiwara no bouken, Super Bubble Blob, Soldat -- these games are similar to N in subtle ways, not overt ones. N is nowhere near a copy of any of those games, and is entirely graphically unique. We took small things we liked and combined them, along with our own ideas, to create N.

We don't understand: people who make apps that are clearly clones have demonstrable talent and skill in programming -- why on earth do you waste it remaking something that already exists? We try to encourage people to come up with their own unique idea and make it into a game. Or team up with a friend who has a great innovative idea, and collaborate on a project together. Even if not all the ideas are totally unique, the combination can be. And that's a whole lot more interesting than just recreating something that someone has already done.

(obviously recreating an existing game can be a great learning exercise for yourself, but to release that project is a whole different story)

So to all app developers, a plea: in future, please respect the hard work and imagination we other developers put into our games, and don't copy them! Metanet Software is a team of only two people, and we have spent our lives (so far) working on this series of games. Instead of stealing N and calling it yours, please make your own game instead. Like I've said, many of you clearly have the programming ability to make something cool. And we hope you do! 'cause we want to play it :D

18. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Thank you for responding! I know it's a pipe dream but since MFI are getting more and more popular how about making it only controllable through a controller. Ya, I know it's an insane idea.

19. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep nsane and commercial suicide! MFI controllers haven't exactly set the word on fire. I don't think there's one game out there which is ONLY controlled like this

20. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Are you sure you don't mean n+sane? Wouldn't be awesome though if MFI controllers do at some point catch on like crazy and we would get some controller only games? I know it's commercial suicide but I can dream right?:)