GameSalad on TV

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Photics, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Photics

Photics Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2010
    If you're still wondering which software you should use to make iOS and Mac Desktop Games, here's a link to an interesting news article... with video!

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/business/austin-tech-firm-makes-anyone-a-gamer

Here's the part I thought was cool...

2. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

3. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well in some countries on the globe you can live normaly from 100-200$ income.. so i don't doubt such messaged.. but they are just unrelated to local "reality"

4. Photics

Jun 1, 2010
    #4 Photics, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
    Nope, I think I know the developers he's referring to.

1. tshirtbooth (Not entirely sure, but he's heavily involved with GameSalad)
    2. firemaplegames (I think he switched to Corona, but it seems that he made $70,000+ in the last year. Legend of Grizzly Manor was successful.)
    3. I think Darren and Wayne from Utopian Games might be on this list. I'm not sure, but Bumps also made the equivalent of an average full-time salary. Their add-ons for GameSalad seem to be popular too
    4. Scitunes... I think he recently announced that he was quitting teaching to do this full-time.

$100-$200 a day or a month?

$200 a day, multiplied by 365 days, is $73,000. That's a great salary for most cities on Earth.

5. NickFalk

Doesn't really change anything.

It's the kind of claim that can probably be used by any service-provider out there. Whether their service is a framework, sdk, social-network-service or game authoring service. As long as their user group is large enough I'm sure they can find 1 or 2 devs that have managed to make it big (enough) to chance making a career out of it.

Here's the thing though: It's probably not the tools these devs are using that has made them successful...

6. Photics

Jun 1, 2010
    What tool out there allows you to make iOS games without programming code? The tool is certainly a part of the success.

That's a fair statement. Although, the same would apply to the App Store in general. While there are successful developers, how many didn't even pay back their Mac, iPhone and developer subscription? I'm thinking there are a lot of unsuccessful iOS developers out there.

7. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

a month of course.. look into average income in former russian countries and other such areas..

8. NickFalk

#8 NickFalk, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
    Man, you really don't have to tell me! :eek:

If you teach yourself to program or use something like Game Salad you still need to be able to design games appealing enough for people to buy. Game Salad might make it easier to get up and running initially but like most arts/crafts skilled people don't succeed because of the tools...

9. Photics

Jun 1, 2010
    I know that some areas of the world are much lower than what it costs to live in major cities. I didn't know what you meant though. If it's just $100-$200 a month, then there are a lot of successful GameSalad developers.

If the standard is $100-$200 a day, I don't know if there are many successful GameSalad developers. Not everyone is as forthcoming in regards to their success.

There's roughly 60,000 members of the GameSalad community. Less than 3,000 are active on the forums. So, that leaves lots of room for speculation. Are they ninjas, secretly living in wealth and success... are they hobbyists... just enjoying a new pastime... I suspect it's a good mix.

GameSalad is kid-friendly software, so there are probably a lot of users that are too young to join Apple's iPhone developer program. Then, there are the professionals, those are are in this to make money. Some use GameSalad to design apps for clients. Others are independent developers, trying to live the dream.

I think that's cool. :)

10. Dizko

Dizko Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2011
    Designer
    Philadelphia
    Bingo. This is a sentiment people need to understand. Tools are only as good as the person using them.

11. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

We've used GameSalad, it's okay. It lacks some of the options that would be available were you actually programming which can get very frustrating.