Scurvy Scallywags (Beep Games, Inc.)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Claytoonz, May 17, 2013.

1. Claytoonz

Claytoonz Active Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Hey all. Clayton from Beep Games here. I saw that TA mentioned our upcoming iOS game today. Scurvy Scallywags in The Voyage to Discover the Ultimate Sea Shanty: A Musical Match-3 Pirate RPG.

Feel free to fire away if you have any questions or want to talk about the game. I can say right now that playing the game is easier than reciting the name.

Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1NkxsNJ3xQ

Thanks!
    CK

2. shining jade

shining jade Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Hi neat been waiting for this. I have lots of questions for you.
    Ok to start out what was your inspiration for this game, the music and graphics?
    How much will it be at launch?
    Will it be universally compatible with all screens, iPods iPhones and iPads?
    Will this be compatible to play and enjoy without wifi?
    Will this game have IAP's if so does that mean the usual currency increase etc? Or will there be added clothes customization packs?
    Are all levels included once you bought the game, or you need to buy them as you go on?
    That's all my questions for now I can't wait to see your responses, and the release of the game great job!

3. spikeyflip

spikeyflip Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2011
    QA lead
    Northern California
    Hi Clayton,

First off I want to say I enjoyed deathspank immensely.

What made you guys decide to do a match 3 game?

Also I checked the beep games website but there wasn't much info on the company. Just wondering where are you guys located, how big is beep games, when did beep games started?

Thanks!

4. TRB4

TRB4 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    I had the pleasure of beta testing this game and all I can say is that it is incredibly addictive and fun. The way that the swiping/matching mechanic effects the board is very unique, but also intuitive at the same time. There are many things to collect and skills to purchase and upgrade. All in all the game is a ton of fun and to be honest I was easily able to finish it without the need of any IAP, however if you're the impatient type, or simply just want to help support the developers there are IAP options for you. I can't wait to hear what everyone else thinks of the game once it is released :D

5. Claytoonz

Claytoonz Active Member

Jul 21, 2012
    #5 Claytoonz, May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
    Cool - Actual questions!

@shining jade

The inspiration was probably a bunch of pirate-related pop culture, movies and the like. A lot of the characters were designed by an artist we've worked with a lot over the years: Rafael Calonzo. He was available to pitch in on Scurvy Scallywags, so we jumped at the chance. His style has a lot of influence on the look of the game. Ron's affinity for pirate stuff is pretty well known plus we talked about making a game along these lines for years.

We'll announce the price when the game goes live. It's probably less than a real pirate ship.

SS is universal. We've played the game on just about every iOS device down to an iPhone 3G, all generations of iPad, etc. It should be fine on an iPod Touch too.

You can totally play without wifi, if you're okay with not using iCloud (which is also fine).

There are some IAP, but they're pretty light. You can play the entire game without them. We tested it with that in mind.

When you buy the game, you have the game, though "levels" are an interesting question. The levels aren't like static things. The game has a wee bit of rogue-like under the hood, so even after you've "beat" the game, you can keep sailing along and leveling after that if you've got the skills.

6. Claytoonz

Claytoonz Active Member

Jul 21, 2012
    #6 Claytoonz, May 17, 2013
    @spikeyflip

It's a little-known side of our work, but Ron and I have collaborated on all sorts of puzzle games since about 2005. We made one called Realms of Gold for PC years ago. That's kind of the basis for Scurvy Scallywags, but we didn't quite nail some parts of the game -- mostly how the collapses worked. We always wanted to revisit the core idea of a match-3 where your character is really on the board and take it somewhere more interesting (and funnier).

Yeah, our website is pretty thin right now. I'm planning to update it before SS goes live. The company is located near Seattle, though it's one of those scattered things where people who have pitched in on the project live pretty much everywhere. As far as size, we'd fit into a compact car, but probably wouldn't qualify to use a carpool lane.

7. Claytoonz

Claytoonz Active Member

Jul 21, 2012
    TRB4 is officially a monster player. He schooled all of us.

8. TRB4

TRB4 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    #8 TRB4, May 17, 2013
    Thanks :D I have beaten the game and I am currently Level 29 (Also my death count is 1). I just need 1 more outfit (hat, shirt, pants, and maybe a face?) and I have a few side quests left to finish. Other than that, I am just going to keep leveling and upgrading my skills.

I do have a question though, when I purchase the release version will I retain my save data? It would be a shame to lose all of my progress :(

9. Claytoonz

Claytoonz Active Member

Jul 21, 2012
    I'm sorry to say that your pre-release build of the game will probably not be compatible with the final version. We did a lot of tunes and tweaks, in part due to your great beta test feedback (oh the irony). At least Ron's 90% sure that's the case. If that happens, let us know and we'll send you some sort of hopefully-not-too-lame consolation prize.

10. TRB4

TRB4 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Alright :( will do. It shouldn't take too long to collect all of the ship materials again :rolleyes:

Any idea on when the official release date will be? Trying to decide if I should stop playing the pre-release build now or if I still have some time to kill before the full version hits.

11. Sotoro

Sotoro Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Hopefully next week, because i heared it was already submitted last week :)

12. oldgamer dude

oldgamer dude Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    I'm hoping its this week too .

13. Sotoro

Sotoro Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Seems to be,that we have to wait another week...

14. Hewitt

Hewitt Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Hey guys,

I have beer a fan boy of all the lucasarts oldschool adventure games. Of course my all time favorites being the monkey island series, of which I keep the original copies of all the gamesin a hard to open safe box

Of course the pirates and the Caribbean topics warm my heart.

As soon as I read pirates and Ron Gilbert on a toucharcade piece of news I was totally into your game.

I also like the 3 matching type of games so it makes this game an absolute joy for me.

Looking really forward to finally playing, I would really love thatif you consider any more beta testers or eventually if you intend to give away some promo codes you think of me.

Cheers guys

Pedro barros

15. Mysticpete

Mysticpete Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Price?

I hear it coming out this week, got a price for it yet? and what will install size be?

16. Hewitt

Hewitt Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Are you sure? Haven't seen it announced anywhere. Hope you are right though

17. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Its announced in a lot of sites :)

18. Hewitt

Hewitt Member

Jan 31, 2012
    seen it now, my bad :)

19. Claytoonz

Claytoonz Active Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Yes!

There is a release date now: June 6th! So only a couple more days before everyone can scurvy it up.

20. TRB4

TRB4 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Count me in! ...again lol.

Even though I'll have to start at the bottom I still can't wait to play the release build :D