Ok devs, OWN UP... who registered flappy Bird 2?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Rocotilos, Mar 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocotilos

Rocotilos Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    iOS Apps & Games Developer
    Hi :D

So when Flappy Bird game was taken down by Dong, I immediately started to develop a clone (Idiot Bird in my sig) :rolleyes:

Whe registering the name in iTC i tried a couples of name, one in particular i wanted so much, but it is already unavailable.

The name is: FLAPPY BIRD 2

SO OWN UP!! Who got this name registered and when it is going to be submitted?

:cool:

2. FuurinRei

FuurinRei Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2014
    #2 FuurinRei, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
    Who cares really?

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I thought (and hoped) that Apple were denying all these thousands of flappy bird clones ?

I'll quite happily buy games from any non-flappy bird dev ! However i've got quite a few on my avoid list now !

4. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    #4 Destined, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
    don't hate them cause of that. Most games copy mechanics. I love the inspiration flappy has given many people. Sure there are tons of clones which are little more than the original but some like Mr Flap are super coolio.

If some registered flappy 2 I doubt it will get past review.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Theres copying game mechanics and then theres just blatant copies its embarassing. Every day theres yet another boring thread for yet another flappy bird clone game, for me its a low point of iOS gaming currently.

Just hope in the near future this will all calm down and we can get back to great original iOS games

6. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I am sure it will.

But the flip side is people who would of never made a game have had that experience. Part of my work is teaching young kids (8-12) how to make games, and they are basically clones but the experience they get from it is great and the pride they have.

That certainly isn't the low point in iOS gaming. The payment models and tactics some companies use (successfully) is much more of an issue.

Yes you might not like the clone, but maybe that will be the first steps and they will try again.

I actually made a flappy bird clone too but I haven't released it. It is a little different, but unless I can make it significantly different I probably won't release it.

7. NAFNA GAMES

NAFNA GAMES Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2013
    do stuff during the day. indie developer at night.
    Barcelona.
  8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Learning to code something basic or to teach young kids is one thing, but then releasing it on the app store is another !

Yes theres the whole freemium argument which then leads to people waiting for price drops/games to be free etc, to me those two both have their problems.

But as a gamer day after day seeing yet another flappy clone with another animals name in the title, just depressing.

9. neilw711

neilw711 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2012
    App Developer
    Virginia, USA
    You cannot put the word "flappy" on your game titles anymore. Apple banned it. You need to change it to flabby or floppy or whatever.

10. simpleinteractive

simpleinteractive Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2013
    London
    I personally refuse to release any game with "bird" in the title.

11. Snovi

Snovi Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Chicago
    I couldn't agree more. It's such a terrible game, too.

12. Rocotilos

Rocotilos Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    iOS Apps & Games Developer
    Well, my Idiot Bird game is not blatant copy. Just the mechanics.
    I made everything from scratch (codes, graphics, variations, sounds, animations).

It was a good experience for me since I was just started to learn SpriteKit (ios framework for
    2d game).

13. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    so you really were going to name your clone of flappy bird, flappy bird 2? do you not have any ethics. trying to disguise your clone as the sequel. shameful.

14. antony.thai

antony.thai Well-Known Member

Please don't!

Can you beta testing my game? It's "bird" but it's not anything clone. I'm a bit confuse while seeing your comment.

I have a work-in-progress screen below

[​IMG]

15. Planetman

Planetman Well-Known Member

May 3, 2014
    Flap

Compare it to "Flappy Robot Bird"