French apps?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by APP-MASTER-360, Jul 13, 2010.

1. APP-MASTER-360

APP-MASTER-360 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    I'm learning French and as far as I know I am top of the class (I got an A in my report). Are there any apps that cost less than $10 that is good for learning French?

2. quebecotr

quebecotr Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Male
    Retired teacher
    Milwaukee, WI
    Good French apps

For learning your verbs and for verb reference, there are two good apps: Conjugueur 2 and also Le Conjugueur by Bescherelle.
    For dictionaries, I really like the French-English dictionary by Dixel. There is also the Dictionnaire app.

The best all-around French app, even though it is more than $ 10, is called Antidote. It contains many dictionaries, gives you locutions as well as single words, and also includes ten guides to the French language (grammar, syntax, etc.) If you plan to really pursue your French studies, that's the one to get.

For language learning, there is something called Petite Assistante, and many apps under the generic name French. Any app published by a reputable textbook company should be of great assistance to you. If you have a French teacher, ask for some recommendations.

I hope this is helpful.

Bon courage!

3. APP-MASTER-360

Apr 12, 2010

Merci! :D

4. Galley

Galley Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Byki makes a very nice app. :)

5. arr4ws

arr4ws Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Content de voir que tu veux apprendre une des langues les plus difficiles au monde!

Bonne chance!

6. Alex Graal

Alex Graal Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    N/A
    U.S.A.
    "Are there any apps that cost less than $10 that is good for learning French?"

You should work on your english first (is should be are because earlier you used plural forms like Are and apps)

Anyway if you have a computer it might just be easier to find something on google which is free.

7. Vinvy

Vinvy Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    #7 Vinvy, Jul 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
    Are you french or a student of french, because I would say it is one of the easier languages to learn for anglophones.

I competely disagree. One, he doesn't need to be strong in english to learn french, two, the process of learning a second language will only help him to greater understand his first.

This is smart, but difficult to do. If you(the TC) are serious about lerning french, I suggest looking into an SRS, and downloading an SRS program such as Anki. Most information you will find on SRS(spaced repetition) will be on sites dedicated to people either learning Japanese or English sadly, but the method works for all languages.

These are some good sites to explain how SRS works, most are english or Japanese learners.
    www.alljapaneseallthetime.com
    http://www.xamuel.com/french-in-30-days/
    http://www.antimoon.com/
    http://forum.koohii.com/viewforum.php?id=5
    http://www.supermemo.com/

8. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Really? French is more than 200 rules and for 198 of them there are exceptions. It's also numerous spelling for a same sound and many spelling with no sound. :eek:

9. quebecotr

Jun 5, 2010
    Male
    Retired teacher
    Milwaukee, WI
    Not quite, mon ami

Actually, the spelling of sounds is much more consistent in French than it is in English, which is why English language learning is a frustrating experience for French speakers.

Guy

10. Vinvy

Vinvy Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    #10 Vinvy, Jul 14, 2010
    What do you mean 200 rules? Are you talking about verb conjugation? It really isn't so difficult, and most of the irregulars are used so often that you learn them quickly. And many languages have more complex conjugation. English conjugation is very very simple though, so this is a big step(but not so big). English phonetics are far more inconsistant and ridiculous, same with spelling. And I am hardly saying French is a simple language, or even easy to learn, but when compared to most others, for an Anglophone it is one of the easier ones to learn(along with maybe Dutch or Spanish).

11. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    For rules I mean when you need use an x or not for plural, when you need add an e or not for according to feminine, when you need add an s or not for plural, there's ton of rules and the worse is all have exceptions. There are also some very vicious like some words masculine at singular and feminine at plural, wooo I wonder how it ends to that! :D

One key problem of modern French is that very soon an institution has been created to officially define the rules and spelling alas they had no care of some logic and to avoid useless complexity so it ends in a huge mass of non sense.

12. Vinvy

Vinvy Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    #12 Vinvy, Jul 14, 2010
    All languages have these sorts of rules, so if learning masculine/feminie or plural rules are an issue for you in french(or any romance language), you may want to stray away from learning any language.

But I am not trying to say French isn't a complex language, but for Anglophones it is one of the simpler ones because of the huge shared vocabulary, and familiarity.

This is true, if I understand clearly what you are saying, but that institution activley changes french to smooth things out(well, rarely, but it does happen, accents get modified and spelling changes here and there), as opposed to English which has absolutely no governing body, and grows and expands in different directions in different places all over the globe at an incredibly pase. Honestly, English is a mess, and it is only getting worse. People from Jamaica, people from Australia, people from Singapore, and people from Canada, and people from parts of the internet all use modify and use English in very different ways, and no one is really doing a good job keeping track of it all.

13. APP-MASTER-360

Apr 12, 2010
    English is my 2nd language :p

14. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Maybe you should work on your English. Firstly, "english" should be capitalised, there should be quotation marks around "Are" and "apps" (as you are quoting him), there needs to be a comma after "Anyway", and "google" needs to be capitalised.

15. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    Why would you ever want to learn french

16. quebecotr

Jun 5, 2010
    Male
    Retired teacher
    Milwaukee, WI
    For many many reasons

French is the language of the arts, the natural sciences, one of the official languages of the U. N., the main communication vehicle among various countries of Africa, a language that can be found in North and South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, it is the language of love and of logic (not such an easy feat), it is the language of Jacques Brel, Georges Brassens, Molière, Hugo, Dumas, it is the language of Paris, Montréal, Bruxelles, Saint-Tropez...

Good lord, man, the correct question is: why wouldn't you want to learn French ?

17. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    No offense, but you aren't helping the "snobby French" stereotype by hailing French as the "language of love, logic, the arts, and the natural sciences."

18. APP-MASTER-360

Apr 12, 2010
    This is the internet man, not school :D

19. quebecotr

Jun 5, 2010
    Male
    Retired teacher
    Milwaukee, WI
    Quoi ?

Hey, no offense taken, but since when are love, logic, the arts and science snobby ?

And when did it become snobby to be well-rounded ? (This one's rhetorical...:))

20. APP-MASTER-360

Apr 12, 2010
    Now back to the topic. Any good French apps that will improve my French.