Any 1st person RPG that's good AND has randomized levels?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jorlen, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    As always I cannot keep up with IOS releases and I know I must be missing out on a lot of games.

This bring me to my question: Have there been any good 1st person RPGs (can be grid-based) that feature randomized levels and that are FUN to play?

Android has a game called DEADLY DUNGEONS which fits the bill perfectly. It has a great inventory system, randomized loot, optional perma-death and quick combat (no party, just one person, like I prefer it). But... it's android only and I no longer have android devices.

Anything like that on IOS that I might have missed?

2. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    #2 Elsa, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    First-person, random dungeons:

- QuestLord (has a quickgame mode with random dungeons)
    - Dungeoneers Quest
    - Dungeon Hero RPG

Though Dungeoneers Quest is party-based and Dungeon Hero RPG isn't all that great in my opinion. It's free to play though, so you might as well check it out for yourself.

3. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Thanks Elsa. Do you own Dungeoneers? Is it good? I have QuestLord already and have also tried Dungeon Hero RPG (I just realized I had already played it when I saw the screenshots).

4. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    #4 Elsa, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
    Sorry, I don't. Even if I would, I couldn't advise you whether you should get the game or not, because I have a huge personal grudge against modern grid-based RPGs by default.

But here's the TA review, a gameplay video and you should also check the TA thread out for some impressions. Then you can decide if the game is for you or not.

5. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Thanks again for the excellent info! I didn't realize TA reviewed it. Looks like it hasn't received much updates, so I fear the developer may have moved on. A few of the IOS user reviews point to issues that would bug me, and they were posted AFTER the first (and only) patch.

I will however keep it in my wishlist and keep checking it.

6. jgeirge

jgeirge Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Lol came here thinking Grimrock was the Only game close to this, thanks for the cool games. But I have to ask, how do you know these gems when you yourself dislike them?

7. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    There is The Quest + expansions for it on ios ONLY,you probably missed it.

Even though it does not have randomly generated levels,it is imo the best rpg ever released on ios.

https://itunes.apple.com/ru/app/the-quest-gold/id345293120?mt=8

8. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    I played The Quest games when they first came out. So good. A true old school RPG full of depth, difficulty and content.

I see now that there are no games I've overlooked; this genre just isn't done very often because it's probably not all that profitable. Which is a shame. I guess my search for a "deadly dungeons"-like game for IOS will keep going.

9. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    I made a list of this type of games in the Mazes of Karradash thread, so you might want to check out some of those games as well. I played quite a chunk of them as well. I don't hate all grid-based or turn-based RPGs by default, as people think, just the modern ones. And by 'modern' I don't mean the era in which the games were created in, but rather for which era the game could pass based on graphics/mechanics. If the developer tries his best to pretend like the game was made in the 80s/early 90s then so can I.

10. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I wouldnt say "not profitable" (even though it may be true). I'd say the mechanics and the world in this game can get a bit more complicated to create and could take more resources to make, which makes it a riskier project considering the appstore is full of free games (i will stop here ;))