Waking up to check........

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Syndicated Puzzles, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

your sales on iTunes connect. Imagine waking up on purpose to check your sales!
    I would love to know if I am alone, or if all you devs have the need to see the numbers in the morning first before anything else?

For me it is an addiction. The surprise element is great! I love to see strange new country initials behind a sale! I can't think of anything else that spreads our games into distant lands more effectively than iTunes.

The distances that separate the world are getting smaller everyday. A great time in history to show off our creative skills.

2. micah

micah Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    game developer
    San Francisco
    Half the time I realize that it's late enough to check my sales before I get off the computer to go to sleep. And I also find myself kind of deliberately staying up that late, just so I can check my sales ... "come on, only another 40 minutes." Although I do try to go to sleep and wait till the morning to check though, as it can't be the healthiest habit :).

3. Knight

Knight Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Game Developer
    You want to talk about obsessions?

I used to wake up every hour for the first few days when 7 Cities was released to check sales, ranking, emails, threads, etc. It used to drive me crazy but it was our first game and we had poured so much into it.

After about 2 months, I just check once in the morning after I wake up for the sales figures.

Now that Tap-Fu (our 2nd game is in review), I consistently check my email for the approval notification.

Am I the only one? I can't be...

4. Uptown Arts

Uptown Arts Well-Known Member

I did that for a couple of months. I'm better now.

5. GavinBowman

GavinBowman Well-Known Member

It's addictive. Reviews, sales, rankings... I have a constant urge to check something. It's a sickness. I need a sponsor.

6. monteboyd

monteboyd Well-Known Member

I'm with you on this. The worst is checking the my category ranking in iTunes before the sales data is ready, and trying to gauge how sales have gone from that. Dropping a place in ranking is heart breaking though!

7. HalfMoon

HalfMoon Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Definately addictive. Best one for me was discovering I sold a copy of an app in Khazakstan(!)

8. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    It isn't very difficult for me. I'm in a different time zone so when sales report are pushed out it's 3 in the afternoon here. I don't have to wake up. :)

9. blt3d

blt3d Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    President/Lead Designer
    Florida
    Sign me up as well:D I have AppSales-Mobile on my device so it's even worse. Everytime I look at my phone I'm tempting to check my sales!

10. Uptown Arts

Uptown Arts Well-Known Member

I sold a single copy of Piano Cats there a month ago, and I'm still ranked #32 in Music!

11. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

No offense to any Khazakstanians. :D

12. fwish

fwish Well-Known Member

when I wake up,frist thing to do is frab the ipod touch,check emial,see if my app is ready for sales,just couldnot help it

13. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    I don't stay up to check my sales, not healthy for me personally, I wish I could though :) With Stick Escape lite in the Top 25 Free, I can't wait to check how many tens of thousand of people downloaded the previous, so that is the first thing I do every morning (usually while I get dressed:eek:).

14. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

Robert,

You should be very proud of yourself pushing your game "Stick Escape Lite" into 8 th spot on the free games list. The game looks very simple with simple graphics and simple game play. Simplicity is a beautiful element of design and can be very powerful if executed correctly. You seem to have the ability to please a large crowd on iTunes with Stick Escape. Congrats!

15. nickcaveman

nickcaveman Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    illustrator and graphic-designer
    bremen/germany
    sure (if there were any sales ^^).

i also have majicrank, so it`s no surprice for me, if i (we; forgot the progger) sold one unit in absurdistan or anything like this, because in many countries, you only need one sale to reach the top hundred list of your subgenre.

but it`s nice, if you wake up (ok, we got the salereport at 11:00 here in germany) and see, that you sold 12 copies in the usa, because THIS don`t be enough for any top hundred list.

so i open the salesreport, thinking, that we don`t anything, because nothing were shown in majicrank and then: wooooh, 12 sales in the usa.
    hell yes, big day. ^^

oh, i must mention, that 12 sales a day is great for our little game.
    best was 38 (at the beginning, after a nice review by the biggest mac website here in germany), but mostly we have 0–1 sale a day.

oh, answering the question: no, it`s not the first thing at the start of my day; first, i smoke a cigarette, then i catch a coffee and THEN i have a look at the sales. before reading any emails or something like that.

so, yes, it`s the first thing i do at the computer.^^

note for everybody, who reads this and didn`t bought our game up to now: help to make a good day for a little graphic-designer in germany and buy our app… i mean it!

ehm, just a little joke