Universal Spaceward Ho! (4x Strategy by Ariton Games/Delta Tao)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Jaklar, Apr 2, 2012.

1. christophercotton

christophercotton Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2012
    AI "handicaps". In looking at the code, if the IQ is high enough to hit the (diabolical) level, then at the start it will give the AI information about all the planets in the galaxy. This allows the AI to do a better job of picking targets and planning which planets to go after.

If you don't hit that high level, but have "Best Buddies" set, then the computer players will automatically share information between them.

Also, the higher level opponents will target Humans ahead of computer players -- but will still beat up on other computer opponents. They just prefer to beat up on players first.

Those handicaps give the AI more information than the player has, but also isn't cheating (like much higher Tech levels or anything). It definitely doesn't feel like it is cheating, though you definitely feel like you are getting beat up at times.

2. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Makes sense. Thanks. I started a game (against medium-level AIs) but I realized there is a lot of stuff I don't even know how it works yet. Will take me time to build up to the better opponents.

3. christophercotton

Apr 3, 2012
    I still play on lower level opponents, cause I seemed to get crushed more often than not on the higher level. I know some of my strategy isn't the best, but I love playing it at slightly lower so I can crush them :) Nothing like sending a fleet of a bazillion dreadnoughts to go wipe up your opponents.

Even though they are old http://deltatao.com/ho/ho4faq/ and http://www.deltatao.com/ho/ho/ are pretty useful. We are working on getting them and the manual updated to the iPad version.

4. christophercotton

Apr 3, 2012
    Version 1.0.2 Released!

http://bit.ly/spacewardho

The 1.0.2 version of Spaceward Ho is released. Please be sure to re-review and rate the application, since all the reviews and ratings go away. There are a ton of fixes based on feedback in here/twitter/itunes.

thanks!

5. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    WOWZERS!!!! AWESOME update! Thanks so much!

6. athros

athros Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    DevOps
    Colorado
    I completely missed this post, my apologies!

My main issue was finding all of the options under the menu button. I missed it completely. So, when FAQ's talked about abandoning planets, I didn't know how etc.

The Tech Sliders were small for my fingers, so I used a stylus when I was adjusting them.

Those are the main complaints. Now that I know they're there, I'm good. I'll let you know if anything else pops up

7. christophercotton

Apr 3, 2012
    Can you try out the 1.0.2 version and the sliders that we have in there? I updated the size, and also made the selection quite a bit easier. See if you can use your finger on those.

8. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    K, just had to come back and say thanks again. This update is great, definitely makes the game feel smoother. I haven't experienced any of the crashes others have been... But I do get a lot of crashes if I make it so that more resources are put into technology as opposed to savings, almost always crashing the first turn if I put tech up too high.

But it seems to be alright now. I've only started one new game since the update though, so we'll see.

But the long list of other tweaks are great. Especially deselecting a selected planet, and the size of the sliders.

So thank you. =oD

9. Dave in the basement

Dave in the basement Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Indiana
    Very tempted to get this. Is it lighter than Starbase Orion, or do they scratch the same itch?

10. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    The game looks like it is simpler because of the graphics and due the fact that you can learn the rules easy within 15 minutes ... but be warned: The more you play it the deeper you can plan your tactics ... ;)

11. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    @Christopher: Any idea when you will go for the next (Beta) Version with the history & compare graph? And do you have any more plans for the next update?

Greetings from my holidays ...

Mythbuster

12. Dave in the basement

Jul 29, 2011
    Indiana
    Thanks for the reply, Mythbuster. I'll be grabbing this this weekend!

Dave

13. christophercotton

Apr 3, 2012
    We are working on the iPhone version right now, and trying to get that playable. No timeframe on the next beta release, only time is when it is ready then we will ship it. But it will have the compare graphs.

14. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    You should also add info on the setting choices. I dont remember what the various settings mean. I want to start with the same resources as the AI, which setting is that?

So I played a game at the default starting settings and I'm starting to feel I should abandon it because the AIs seem far behind -- I have 9/9 weapons and shields, 3 mini, money and metal, and I have only seen ships with 6/6. What is a good level AI to test how well you remember how to play?

15. hippiefahrzeug

hippiefahrzeug Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    I just went from default settings to IQ 80 (difficulty was a measly 47), low density spiral universe. Started expanding, everything went fine just as planned. Got cocky and built a 5 dreadnoughts 10/10 fleet to conquer the universe (surely, my enemies were still trying to figure out this fire thing). Got blasted out of existence against a 138 9/9 fighter fleet on my first encounter! Additionally, in the following turn another enemy took one of my finest planets in my outer spiral, which means that she had at least range 18. I hate Kathy.

Going to go back to default. That was much more satisfying experience. I want my computer stupid and obedient.

16. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Relative to the earlier discussion of the AI, I just completed a game at 110 computer intelligence. At that level, the AI was sending out a single scout or fighter to worlds that it had already seen had enough sattelites to kill the scout. By that point, the AI already needed every ship and there was no point in sacrificing ships just to watch me.

Dont get me wrong, the AI does a fairly nice job of scouting to find your planets and raiding, and it also (generally) does a nice job of attacking in force. I particularly like that it will smash one of your planets and then retreat before you can get a counter force there.

But attacking fixed defenses with inferior forces isnt consistent with a truly smart AI.

I'll try higher than 110, but I suspect that gets into cheat territory since "100" normally signifies an unhobbled, full strength AI.

17. Mythbuster

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Hi,
    well, IQ goes up to IQ 200 ... and I think, that up to 160 there is absolute no cheating ... I had several games at that level and the AI had to discover every planet ... so I am sure, if the AI would know "the good stars" it would not send out ships to the bad ones ...

18. Dave in the basement

Jul 29, 2011
    Indiana
    Hello all,

Just picked up the game, and I am in the market for beginner tips, having never played this (or the original) before. Any basic tips or strategies would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help me out!

Dave

19. christophercotton

Apr 3, 2012
    One thing I've done that has helped, has been to all the computer to "auto play" for you. You can see what it would do, and it gives you some ideas about what you could do. Some of the very basics -- don't expand too fast. Every planet you colonize costs you money initially. Find the planets that are closest to 1.0g to colonize. Those will be your money makers. Find the planets with lots of metal and just mine them and evacuate them.

Also, reading http://deltatao.com/ho/ho4faq/ (even though it refers to the Mac version is very helpful) as is http://www.deltatao.com/ho/ho/

We are working on updating them, but right now more focused on trying to get the iPhone version done.

20. christophercotton

Apr 3, 2012
    How many computer players did you play against? It turns out, that it varies the intelligence of the computer players in a range based on how many players you have set. There are 4 levels of computer intelligence. I think with 110 you are still just in the Average computer level.

Dumb, Average, Smart, Diabolical

Diabolical is the hard one, and the only one which gets the added knowledge handicap of knowing all the planets. Also, the game makes it interesting in that when you create a game, each computer AI also gets some random elements of how aggressive versus how defensive they are. And each computer player might also get a different style of attacking.