Universal Swordigo (by Touch Foo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Mar 21, 2012.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #121 awp69, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    Fantastic game so far with nothing that's really in the same league on the iOS as far as platformer/RPGs are concerned (as much as platforming is a part of games like Illusia, I still don't consider that a "platformer").

Loving the art style and just general flow of the game overall. Coming from just playing Evertales to this, I appreciate it even more. Yeah, I like the graphics in Evertales, but the gameplay in this is miles above it as well as the exploration.

Oh, and I'm glad to see from a few posts ago that there are "bosses". I was wondering about that as I haven't hit any boss-calibur enemies yet.

Definately will be getting my vote for GOTW.

2. HeroicDuck

HeroicDuck New Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Game Impressions

Just started playing, very happy with it. :D. Controls work really well and the gameplay is great fun. Haven't played much else like it.

3. Joshnsuch

Joshnsuch Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Louisville
    Goodness. I had no idea this game was even coming out until the preview on the front page. I wasn't really interested in anything coming up this week and didn't really follow many of the titles up. Came here this morning and saw this title exploding with praise, so I'll definitely have to bite. Also nice to hear like the game is somewhat lengthy. Can't wait until I come across some free time today.

Also, the "threw up on my MBP" comment made me look like a fool - I laughed aloud in the library during a nice period of dead silence. Thanks for that. >_<

Hopefully this gets some press fairly soon. Love how all of Gabrien's posts are getting noticed.

Now we wait until people begin to complain about $1.99 or the one-day-after-release sale! :p

4. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Yeah, I know they are classics, but we couldn't afford a nintendo, SNES or any other gaming machine when I was a kid, so I got into pc gaming when I got my first job and bought myself a pc in the early nineties..
    Played Prince of Persia, Eye of the Beholder and anything of its ilk and when Doom was released, I never looked back.. :)

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Sorry for the slightly off topic post but Bytebrain i cant BELIEVE you havent played Zelda, Metroid or Mario !!!

I didnt have a NES or SNES in the 90's, had a Megadrive (Genesis). But SURELY you've tried emulators on your PC ? I've got tons of emulators for 8 bit, 16 bit computers, lots of consoles etc, MAME (arcade classics) so i can try these other classic games.

You're missing out on some classics ! I know emulators/roms is a bit of a 'grey' area for some but i assumed most gamers always had the odd emulator !

But back to Swordigo, best game i've played this year and theres been some very good games released in the last 3 months.

6. gtcharlie

gtcharlie Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    What I can't figure out is how to put the two crates together? You can't pick them up only destroy them and then then come back in the exact same spots. Any help?

7. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Btw Neehan, I've got myself an Xbox 360, and I believe there's some Metroid games on XBLA. Do you know if any of those are any good?
    I seem to recall that not all ports and later additions to the series recieved good reviews...

8. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Well, it's off-topic, but there's no Metroid games on XBLA. It's a Nintendo franchise so you'll never see it either. But in the Metroid-vein (as far as sidescrolling exploration, etc.), Shadow Complex is an awesome game.

9. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    I doubt it since Metroid is owned by Nintendo and Xbox being Microsoft. Nintendo is really hardcore about their exclusive games. The Wikipedia page listing all XBLA games shows no Nintendo games. If I'm wrong let me know. If you have a Wii you can get all the Metroid games on the virtual console. Super Metroid is definitely the one to play if your new to the series. They also came out with a few of the old school Metroid games for Game Boy Advance.

10. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    i bought this game cuz... i saw that it said "level up"

so i said... hmmm maybe it could be fun....

bought it, played and i have to say... this is WAAAAYYYYYY better than i expected :D fun and awesome game

11. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    I guess my memory is shot to hell.. :)
    It makes sense that Nintendo don't release games on Xbox...
    Must be some other classic game in the same vein i think. I'll check it out when I get the time.
    All the time I have right now is spend on Swordigo.. :)

I've got Shadow Complex btw. Good game.

I'm gonna end my off topic questions with this.. But thank you for your suggestions. :)

12. DahakaJR

DahakaJR Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    I drive trains, Locomotive Engineer.
    Pacific Northwest.
    So far my favorite attention to detail is his sword stays in the correct hand no matter going left or right. This dev team has made a jewel here.

13. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    So far I'm liking it more than Shantae, which was my favorite iOS metroid-a-like.

Good job guys.

14. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    =oO

How could I have forgotten about Shantae?!?!?! I need to pop that one on my iPad and play through it again! =oO

Thanks!!!

But right now, I dunno if I would put this up against Shantae...

I really like Swordigo... like it a lot... but Shantae is gonna be a VERY hard one to beat...

15. 0-FeliX-0

0-FeliX-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2011
    Holy sheep. This is definitely one of my favorite games on iOS, ever. Such an amazing little gem, and only for $2! I cannot believe it! I keep getting Legend of Zelda vibes from it, too (which is really nice)! Definitely my GOTW.

16. theblackw0lf

theblackw0lf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Is it just me or is the iTunes link to the game on the first post broken?

Strange because it was working before.

You can still get it through the app store though, so I'm not sure what gives.

It's not on appshopper either.

17. justln

justln Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Singapore
    Ugh I keep crashing at random spots.

18. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    staaaaaraaaaange. I haven't had one crash... or even slowdown like it might have looked like it might crash. =o/

What device are you running the game on? and what OS? (I'm just curious) - and did you try doing a hard reset and clearing out your multitasking bar?

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Not much left to be said. This is one tight, beautifully designed game, and probably the best argument against the notion that you need to oversimplify gameplay in order to accommodate touch controls.

20. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Alrighty... I just hit 56% (at 2 hours and 52 minutes), and I can see how it took Echo 8 hours to hit 90... (I was at 42% at 2 hours)

the game just keeps opening up the further into it you get... adding more puzzle type elements, and upping the difficulty (not just with the enemies, but with the platforming as well) - it's really shaping up to be a fantastic game. =oD