NOVA 3 - Gameloft

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by lord-sam, Apr 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. August

August Member

Oct 18, 2011
    hmmm

looks good, but we'll see how good the controls are. I still cannot get used to touch controls for 3D shooters...

2. Borgqueenx

Borgqueenx Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Modern combat 3 has awesome touch controls.
    Works like a charm my k/d ratio is 2.08.

3. Johnny101

Johnny101 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA

If you play 3D shooters on the iPhone long enough, you'll get used to them. Games like mc2, nova2, dead space are very intuitive. Touch controls are excellent for me. I find them easier than a game pad for console.

Is anyone else brushing up on their skills on Nova 2? I haven't played the game for ages. I usually play Mc2, Mc3. I didn't realize what an excellent game it is !

4. bmdino

bmdino Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    I find game pads the hardest, second are definitely touch controls, but I just adore the feeling of a mouse to look around in those games^^

5. handintoaster

handintoaster Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    While I agree that touch controls can be intuitive, I'm not going to kid myself into saying that its better than an xbox controlller for an fps... Especially on an ipad... a main reason it isn't as good is because the touch screen forces you to only beable to use your thumbs to play an fps instead of being able to also use your index fingers. Point is there is alot more controllability on gamepads then on a touchscreen.

6. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    I think you mean to say "mouse and keyboard". :p

Quite frankly, I think the FPS control ratio works like this:

Mouse and keyboard > touch screen with flick joystick > stupid analog sticks.

7. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    I've always thought a mouse to be easy to use, but a controller to be better for gaming. Maybe it's just where I've used them for so long, but I think a controller adds to the experience for fps's. There's the simplistic key movement with a mouse, and the there's the controller that has triggers and curves that I feel makes it more natural and helps immerse you. Analogs sticks can be akward but I'd prefer that over w a s d any day.

8. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Recently I found in shoot games touch control is great for me, obviously you can never forget what're the virtual buttons means. Because you don't need to remember it.
    When I play 360, it's frustrating to know I got different games control pad setting confused again and again.

9. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    I can relate to that....

10. handintoaster

Dec 2, 2010
    True, you don't have to get used to new control schemes on the touchscreen and that's why it is intuitive. It comes down to personal preference I guess.

11. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    This. Mouse and keyboard are most accurate, but touch screen really is more accurate once you get used to it. Analog sticks are so annoying... Sure you can turn faster, but still.

Anyway, I'm really hoping and I am almost sure this will have control customization like in MC3. That thing really helped me in the game.

12. handintoaster

Dec 2, 2010
    #352 handintoaster, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
    Whenever I try to change control schemes in mc3 it makes all buttons freaking tiny or so gigantic it fills the entire screen... Really odd glitch i've tried redownloading but no luck. Also, the virtual sticks scheme makes aiming incredibly slow with sensitivity all the way up so I cant use my fling joystick for aiming (it takes about 30 seconds to turn around) :( I really hope controls are less glitchy in nova 3...

13. freemini

freemini Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Stavanger, Norway
    I love Gameloft's games, but I don't like them. The update to MC3 for Retina is awesome, but when I try to customize the controls I can't move them past half of the screen which makes the game bad for me. It's been at least 2 months and no update, they don't care at all. I'll get Nova 3 but don't expect post launch support past 1-2 patches.

14. kcur

kcur Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    US
    Actually, keyboard and mouse can turn faster if you turn the mouse sensitivity up. I've always found controllers to be slow and inaccurate.

Consoles are still fun to play with friends, though.

15. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    I don't ever think I can use a keyboard and mouse... Too hard for some reason. Maybe im just used to controllers though.

16. Johnny101

Johnny101 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I think what it comes down to is personal preference for controls. I play with Gamepads, K/B mouse and of course touch controls. Each has it's advantages/ disadvantages. The keyboard/mouse is great for FPS games because of its accuracy, Gamepad for its comfortability. With touch control there is a bit of both.

As I mentioned in a previous post, you do get used to touch controls. I find them more intuitive than any type of controls. What I like most about the touch system is that sense of control, you get when your playing games on the iPhone. If you get the system down, your reactions can be extremely quick and that's a blast when it comes to gaming.

17. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    No I meant with console controls you can turn faster than with touch screen :p And yeah, they're still better to play with friends.

18. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    It's pinch to zoom. Just pinch out/in on the button your moving.

19. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    Counter-strike pros have mouse sensitivity at around 0.1-0.4, because they have such large places for the mouse. It lets them snipe efficiently, and aim accurately. The dedicated guys bind [ and ] to the keyboard so they can change sensitivity on the fly.

20. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Keyboard/Mouse > Touchscreen > Game controller