Movies

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Brazilian Rider, May 17, 2010.

1. I was looking at that to buy as I've not seen it yet, ended up going with DRIVE, FAST FIVE and RUBY SPARKS.

2. In terms of Oscars: I think (hope) DDL wins for Lincoln. I'd be surprised if the film gets best picture, but his performance was outstanding.

3. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Anyone see Gangster Squad? I just saw it today and I really enjoyed it. I'm no movie critic, so I won't be saying how this person or that person deserves on Oscar :p However, I can honestly say that there were no parts that I found slow/boring, which is good IMO lol.

4. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    That's one of my favorite movies of all time.

5. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Rented The Possesion for tonight. Any good?

6. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Yep, Pursuit of Happiness is an awesome film. Smith did a great job.

7. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    The Possession was just a generic, uninspired, unoriginal horror flick.

8. rshkhsee

rshkhsee Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Blashyrkh
    MAMA was badass. Del Toro can really write a great supernatural flick....much better than the recent Woman In Black, but similar in story.

9. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Dude, I really wanna watch Mama!

I like Jessica Chastain, too! :p

10. Rubyjourney

Rubyjourney Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    #2330 Rubyjourney, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013

Great Movie. I'd put it up their along the likes of Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction. Although not near as gory it still has that "pop" that is going to make it a cult favorite, that being you can see beyond the gore of the other two and really see it as a exploration of the human psyche. At least that's how I see it.

11. rshkhsee

rshkhsee Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Blashyrkh
    Go check it out, it's creepy as hell. Basic ghost story formula, but the CG is done well I think especially during the darker scenes. The kids did a great job, and the sound from Mama is f**kin horrid...after this one part this little kid with his mom sitting nearby went,"I wanna go!"

12. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Zero Dark Thirty? Heard it was a bit off with its facts, but really the only movie I feel like seeing this weekend.

13. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Sweeeet! Hopefully I can watch it in the theaters, if not, I'll grab it at Redbox.

14. PhxBangBus602

PhxBangBus602 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2010
    My brother said the story dragged on way too much and it probably could have been told in less than an hour.

15. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Zero Dark Thirty is just another overrated film. Don't waste your time.

I do recommend seeing Broken City if you have to see something. It was pretty good, but it's one of those movies you watch once.

Can't wait until this summer though.

16. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    95% metacritic...that's really damn good.

17. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Sorry, boringly overrated film. I think the only reason it's regarded as such a great film, is because it shows the events prior to, and leading up to the assassination of Osama bin Laden/ who every American considers him right below satan, in terms of douchebaggery, which is why they would want to see it.

If it were an hour shorter, and DID not have Jessica Chastain (who is annoying and over dramatic), I might have enjoyed it.

18. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    The Last Stand opened to $6.3m (10th place) this weekend..wow. Guess that's not a movie to see. Really want to see Silver Linings Playbook now. It jumped back up to 3rd place this weekend after the Golden Globes.

19. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Wow, only 6.3? Damn, poor Arnold. :p

In other news, I just saw Frankenweenie. Not bad, I enjoyed it.

20. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Just saw the movie and I must say that I completely disagree with you. Apart from being loose with a few facts, namely that it was an entire team of CIA agents instead of a lone wolf after Bin Laden, I really enjoyed it.

Considering that Bin Laden did kill 3000+ Americans in easily the single worst terrorist attack I know of, of course he's high on the villian list, and deservedly so. As for the length, well, there is such a thing as telling a story and enjoying the ride. People just have uber short attention spans these days :rolleyes:

Chastain I won't comment on, I thought her performance was done well but I would prefer a more historocally accurate depiction. Obviously though, a good story needs a recognizable protagonist(s) and a groups of CIA operatives wouldn't fit the bill as well as a good looking woman who happens to be obsessed with her work.

What I want to know is if
    that CIA friend of hers who tried to bribe the doctor and was killed by the suicide bomber really did exist and if seven people were really killed