iPad Duke Nukem 3D for (Now FREE 10/1)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jawslover, Aug 10, 2009.

1. wythesyn

wythesyn Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Oswego, New York
    I hope they fix the controls in a later update, i think i can wait a bit longer for that.

2. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Duke has a few fans here. Currently Active Users: 707 (214 members and 493 guests)

3. Arock

Arock Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    horrible controls

This game has the potential to be great except everyone who said the controls are lacking is right. The new control scheme is plain weird. With the dual sticks they have the right idea and in theory they have done everything right except the accuracy of the dual sticks. Most of the time it doesn't register my thumb movements properly. It either doesn't move or moves in the wrong direction. If they fine tune these control sticks so they are much more accurate and sensitive to small thumb movements, this game would rule. It needs an update right away to the controls or else it will bomb. The devs should go play Wolfenstein 3d and emulate the accuracy of those controls and this will be a great game. Until then I would stay away from it.

Im afraid I just wasted $3. :(

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Change the board options so only registered users can view topics, see how many new members we get in 5 minutes then switch it back :D

5. AttackOfThePwned

AttackOfThePwned Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Photographer
    San Francisco, CA
    Have you guys tested how it plays by changing the control speeds to a higher level (more sensitive)?

6. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Well as a huge retro fan - I had to get it...

I have a 3 Gs and default analog controls are blazing fast. However, I have decreased senstivity significantly and that makes it much easier. I am still going to have to play with controls - there is some auto center thing that is driving me buggy, but graphically Duke has never looked this good. Sounds pretty good too. I think that this is going to be playable - depends on how much pick up and play you want - I can see it is going to take some tweaking on my part, but I think it will be accomplished. I'll report back in a while so for those on the fence you can have some better opinions..

How about "hey its only $3 - you spend more then that on -------"

Sorry - don't mean it, but could not resist - I know someone will be putting that comment in sometime...

Damn naysayers...:D

7. Yagami_Light

Yagami_Light Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Yeah, this game kind of sucks. If I had known it was ported by the same people who made the Prey spin-off, I wouldn't have bought it. It is basically the same. The analog sticks are so bad that it is almost funny. Major disappointment.

8. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    The controls are fine. They Prey controls were fine. They give you a multitude of options for the controls whether it be by type or sensitivity, so you should be able to find one that works for you. Granted, they aren't as good as Wolf 3Ds controls...those are fantastic, but those dont have up/down movement to account for. Just like in Prey, there is a small time to get acclimated, then it became second nature to me. I think that people have this massive rush to judgement whenever a game comes out, and they want to immediately be the first to say either it's GREAT or it SUCKS. Give yourself some time with the game...it just came out. Let's not rush to judgement. I'm looking forward to digging in some more myself...

9. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    very very quick go on this ..

the dual stick controls are abysmal .. worse than anything ive ever used in ma life, crashing into allsorts lol .. comedy!

the digital slide controls are actually alright if not ideal.

if you can bare some practice with slide controls and you like duke nukem this is essential gaming history in yer pocket, otherwise id just wait for doom :)

10. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    ok so I downloaded the game and played the first level (kind of remembered it, not completely). At the beginning of the first game you are asked an almost embarassing number of questions about the controls... however... I think I tried the "slider" controls, which I think are not so different from what you could obtain messing around with Wolf3D's floating controls, with the addition of look up/down. However... they don't seem so terrible to me. I mean, once you accept the ugly truth that you can't connect a mouse to your phone, I found them reasonable.

11. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    Hi,

Strangely the analog controls are worse than prey. I don't know why, but they are. It doesn't record your movements. The best work around is to use the analog pad as a tap-pad. Not a stick. (this is on 3GS)

arn

12. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I don't know, I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one. I thought they handled exactly the same as Prey...maybe a little faster, but that can be adjusted. I'm on a 3GS, and if anything, the movement was TOO fast on default. I'm going to play with that a bit, but the controls have been fine to me...but then again I liked the Prey controls, so I'm probably in the minority.

13. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    It's not a matter of opinion, I'm afraid, but may be individual device dependent. I'll post a brief video showing what I'm talking about.

arn

14. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    OK...I'll take a gander. What device are you using?

15. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    If the controls are as bad Prey, that isn't good. Personally, I didn't like the controls in that game and if these worse, that doesn't bode well.

16. Arock

Arock Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I since discovered that the slider controls work ok if you put them in position where they are over lapping in a plus symbol. So i take it back not quite a waste of money but they could still use much better dual sticks. I do love the tap to shoot option where you tap anywhere and it shoots there. That is great.

17. arn

arn Administrator

Apr 19, 2008
    here's why people are saying the control stick sucks

In Prey it works as you'd expect. Move stick -> player moves.
    In Duke Nuke'm (for some) move stick -> sometimes works, sometimes doesn't

18. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    just tried the dual sticks and arn seems to be right, if I change direction while keeping them pressed, it doesn't record the second direction! while if I just "tap" it seems to work...

19. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Yeah, I misunderstood Arn's post...I didn't know he was referring specifically to the dual sticks. I don't use that control method, I prefer the sliders. It sure looks like the dual sticks need to get addressed in an update though. Control sliders work fine for me, though (but like I said, I'm probably in the minority there).

20. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Thankfully I'm spared the bad controls.

Unfortunately I'm spared the bad controls not because of any of the thoughts posted in this topic, but simply because the developers/publishers, in their infinite "wisdom", made the game incompatible with the 1st "gen" iPod touch. They either pressed the wrong damned option when submitting the game, or submitted it sans 1st "gen" touch support on purpose.

Either way it's downright friggin' dumb.

The mistake I can forgive (although, at this point, it is a stupid mistake to make), but if they did it on purpose then they can stick their game where the sun don't shine and take it for a spin. :mad: