Universal Virtua Tennis Challenge (By Sega)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Damn this is huge failure :mad:

2. Amigo

Amigo Member

Feb 18, 2010
    What would you expect to happen? Wouldn't make much sense if you could quit when losing and just restart the match. Would be impossible to lose. Of course you will forfeit the tournament

3. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    So far the framerate and the graphics are top notch on the new iPad (at least at mine) but the swipes controls are totally sucks (i love this kind of controls at tennis games). I lost half of my points on matches just because the game gives wrong directions... I try d pad and man.... totally different game... Anyway as i said love swipes controls for this kind of games so i am little bit disappointment. In general good game!

4. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    Could someone post the basic controls for gestures? Curious if they are just the vita touch controls.

5. And_75

And_75 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    L.A.
    I expect to resume the match from where I quit.
    We are playing on a phone, if I start a tournament and beat the 1st 2 rounds, I make it to the final and then for some reason I have to go, why should I loose all my progress and forfeit the tournement?? I will never be able to finish this game

6. MrGreed

MrGreed Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012

I can understand shiit like this for some small dev but not for Sega, this is stupid and makes me glad I didnt purchase Sonic for 7 dollars.

I am not supporting a company that does trash ports. Its not hard to quality check software. Saving in a tennis game, due to length of matches and tournaments, is crucial. The fact that most people with iPhone 4s and iPad 2s cant run the game without slowdown is even more damniing.

I guess ive been waiting so long for a tennis game that when I finally heard about this I was extremely excited only to be suffer an extreme let down. I tried the game on my friends iPhone 4s and while there wasnt tons of slowdown, it was still persistent. Since i have a iPhone 4 and the game costs 5 dollars its easy to justify waiting till it drops to 1 dollar

7. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    At least on my 4s, the slowdown pretty much disappears when you change the camera mode from TV to Dynamic and turn Vibration off. There are still occasional slowdowns, but it helps.

8. VonWillebrand

VonWillebrand Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Europe
    Why do you insist on quitting to main menu? Just pause, hit the home button and do whatever it is you need to do.

I just noticed you can force-quit the app in the middle of the first match in a tournament, relaunch and continue from the beginning of the tournament. I don't know what happens if you do this in the 2nd or later matches.

9. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

I just played it on my iPhone 4 and the framerate issue is pretty damn bad. I hope SEGA can hear us.

10. And_75

And_75 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    L.A.
    well..it's not that insist..I just did it once. And, at least, it should have warned me that I was going to forfeit the whole tournament....

Anyways, I'll try your suggestion tonight. If that works, it will be a way not to loose progress in career mode. But the other problem remains, no save during a match, which is not good for a mobile game IMO

11. gansta

gansta Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    I've been playing the game all day on ipod touch 4g and yes if your in a tournament match and pause go to main menu the game will forfeit which I agree is stupid there should be a place to save the game. But afterwars I played again, won in the quarterfinals the game then autosaved and then quit the game. Now tried to play and my game is ready for the semi-final match. I would try that and see, but so far I'm very impressed with the game, graphics are awesome and gameplay is fun.

12. TomekSzymek

TomekSzymek Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I think We can all agree that this is the best tennis on iOS. It is sth I was waiting for a long time. SEGA did a great job. Apart from this stupid pause thing the game is really good and addictive.

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Are you playing on a 4th gen iPod touch? How's the framerate with you?

14. TomekSzymek

Dec 11, 2011
    U got me... I'm playing on iPhone 4. And it sucks.
    I didn't notice it at the first but now it is annoying.

15. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Loving this game! Initially noticed the low frame rate but it doesn't seem to be too bad now? I'm on iPod gen4. I have just been pausing and closing the app, then resuming later and haven't had a problem with gameplay progression.

16. TomekSzymek

Dec 11, 2011
    You have to be very patient. I'm waiting for some update. I hope that dev will notice that bad things happened to framerate :D
    I just don't like the fact that I paid 4$ for this one and there are problems like this which is important.

17. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Awesome

Played on new iPad and iPhone 4S. No problems with frame rates for me so far, played an our on each unit.
    Touch controls take some time to gt used to, but switch it to game pad controls and then it's like being a fish back in water: plays just like the Dreamcast, which I was tempted to get one secondhand just to play this again!
    Only negative things I can comment on are:
    1) players. No license to use real player names, although its obvious who they're hinting at from the countries. Would be great to have an IAP to purchase the full real roster. I would pay an extra $15 just for that.
    2) no seamless play between hardware units that are on iCloud. It's so much better on the iPad. iPhone 4S looks too cramped despite the retina display being as crisp as it can be.
    Need to see how it handles being interrupted with phone calls etc during a long match.

18. Evilkarma

Evilkarma Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Canada
    so what's the verdict? is it unplayable on iPad2?

19. AppleFan12

AppleFan12 Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    USA
    How are they on updates? Do they ever update? I might get this on sale

20. VonWillebrand

VonWillebrand Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Europe
    The swipe controls are really innovative but fall apart when playing against a difficult opponent. Maybe it's just me but I could hardly win one point against the top ranked CPU player in a tournament.