Should be a way to sell old iOS games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by o0oJAKEo0o, Dec 19, 2013.

1. o0oJAKEo0o

o0oJAKEo0o Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Full-Time Student
    KCMO
    Wouldn't it be nice if we could sell our old games somehow? Like how we use to do with console games. If you are anything like me, which many of you probably are, you have hundreds of old games just taking up space on your hard drive. Even if you only got a 5¢ per title, it would add up to another game sooner or later. Is this even possible? I'm sure it's not but, why?

2. Yourplague

Yourplague Well-Known Member

May 7, 2012
    Im against this idea, less people will be showing my fave developers love then.

3. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    We're already getting games at prices I never expected to see, so not too worried about the ability to sell games.

Developers spend months on games and we get it for a buck or two. We're already getting an amazing deal.

4. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    No, primarily because you don't actually own any of the games, you buy a license to use the application. Check the AppStore terms and conditions.

Now I suppose theoretically that doesn't rule out the sale of licenses if Apple were to make them transferable, but I'm fairly certain there's less than zero chance of that happening.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #5 psj3809, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    Totally against the idea. Devs need all the help they can get. Reselling a 99c game is a joke. Making 5c a game ? Are things that bad???

Games are so cheap. I wish some kids would realise that. If people want more and more new games reselling them won't help one bit. Come on. Games are mostly 99c and you get great value for money

6. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Developers have been trying to close the second hand market on other platforms, I don't really see Apple adopting it.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    You can see why to be honest, they spend millions making games and need to recoup the money, the second hand market offers them nothing.

To be fair its a difficult one as you cant stop ebay really from selling second hand games. But lets be honest, when most iOS games are 99c i cant believe people even think its worth doing.

8. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    At the price of most games being under a few dollars or pounds, I cant imagine many developers apart from the big well knowns making a great deal of money, I think they have a tough enough job as it is without losing even more sales because folks are selling their license for a few pennies. Even more stuff would go free to play or whatever it's called in order for devs to make some money.

9. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    If iOS games were more expensive the I'd expect to be able to sell them, but not at the current prices.

10. deadlock32

deadlock32 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Totally against the idea, we are all getting extremely awesome prices for many premium games. For example, a call of duty game would cost $59.99, but if you buy the MC franchise, you have to pay like $6.99. I prefer the way prices are right now. Like what others' have said, dev spend so much money on one game and they only charge you like a dollar. That's a steal, specially if its only a dollarz