Liege - a story driven, tactical RPG

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by jrhee, Mar 3, 2013.

1. jrhee

jrhee Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Developer
    New York, NY
    #1 jrhee, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
    Introduction
    Hi! I'm currently working on a story driven, tactical RPG called Liege using cocos2d. My goal with the project is to extend the classic, top-down JRPG format to create an interesting blend of compelling, character focused narrative and elegant, accessible tactical combat. Other areas I'm focusing on include creating a unique, hand drawn visual aesthetic, and a minimalist, touch optimized interface.

Please take a look at the video and screens below for more info!

Teaser Trailer

Screenshots
    Story/Exploration:
    [​IMG]

Combat:
    [​IMG]

In addition to my posts here, I'll also be posting ongoing updates on my website and Facebook page in case you're interested in following along. Please let me know if you have any questions or feedback.

Cheers!

2. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Looks sweet

3. lyace21

lyace21 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Will you be having a beta testing? :)

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Hopefully things go well with these projects; they sounds like a promising games I'd be excited to play. Keep us updated.

5. Darth Nihilus

Darth Nihilus Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Pripyat, Mexico.
    Looks hauntingly beautiful, I'll be keeping an eye.

6. jrhee

jrhee Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Developer
    New York, NY
    Thanks all for the feedback!

@lyace21, I'm planning to start a beta once I'm further along, probably in a few months. Will continue to post updates here and on my website/FB for anyone who's interested.

7. jrhee

jrhee Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Developer
    New York, NY
    #7 jrhee, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
    3/16 Update

Hi! Quick update from my devlog: Over the last few weeks I’ve been fine tuning some of the basics I’ll need to support things like cutscenes, dialogue, etc. I’ve also been playing around some more with effects to get different types of atmospheres/weather/etc. Lastly, I’ve been working on figuring out how combat animations will work. Here’s a quick video and some screenshots which showcases some of what I’m talking about:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers!

8. Kedens

Kedens Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Graphic Design/Illustration
    Rochester, NY
    This looks epic.. Keep us posted!

9. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

Wow, the graphics looks stunning. So I'm assuming the combat will not be turn based?

Regardless, I'm looking forward to participating in any Beta opportunities you may have open for us :)

10. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    Looks awesome.

11. jrhee

jrhee Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Developer
    New York, NY
    Thanks all! @ KennyK: The combat will be turn based; the video was primarily meant to test cutscene sequencing code and combat animations that will be used in playable sequences. Will definitely keep everyone posted once the beta stage nears.

12. Game Whiz

Game Whiz Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Janitor/Developer/Whatever needs to be done around
    Portugal
    Well done! I love the art style (and trust me, I don't say this often :) ) and the overall feel of the game. Congrats!

13. jrhee

jrhee Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Developer
    New York, NY
    Thanks Game Whiz :)

14. jrhee

jrhee Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Developer
    New York, NY
    #14 jrhee, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
    Quick Update

I've been working away at the combat engine for the last few weeks and will be demoing the latest build at the NY Gaming Meetup on 4/30. For anyone in the NY area, come by and say hi! Eat some pizza! Drink a beer!

I'll be posting a video update with lots more details on the combat engine soon after the meetup, but in the meantime, here's a screenshot of the WIP combat UI:

[​IMG]

15. Velvety

Velvety Member

This looks really great! I love the unique art style and music you have going. I'm looking forward to see more of the combat engine.

16. jrhee

jrhee Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Developer
    New York, NY
    Thanks Velvety! Stay tuned- lots more to come!

17. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The screenshots seem increasingly promising, I'm looking forward to a motion video. I'm curious to see how this would look on "small screen" with the detailed shading and elaborate character models.

18. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    #18 pjft, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
    The screenshots look amazing, great music, and animation so far looks quite promising.

And a turn-based story RPG on top of that? Call me very interested. Subscribing to the thread :)

[EDIT] Nevermind the previous comments on animations, should've watched the videos before posting. Great job so far, good luck with the meetup! :)

19. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Looks gorgeous. Can't wait to buy it and give it a try. Great work so far! And thanks for sharing.

20. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'd be curious about other environments in Liege; will there be a winter / ice area? ;)