Racing Game, OVERSTEER - Development Diary

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by POLYGAMe, Dec 27, 2013.

1. POLYGAMe

POLYGAMe Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Game Developer (iOS, Mega Drive, C64)
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Hi there ladies, gentlemen, boys and girls and sentient inanimate objects!

I'm working on a new, F2P racing sim that is penned for launch in May 2014.

The game is a collaboration between myself and a good friend who runs www.oversteer.co.nz.

You can track progress here: http://oversteer.co.nz/oversteer-the-game/development-diary/

Here's a quick WIP shot to whet the appetite.

[​IMG]

The game will feature hopefully around 30 cars at launch (will be a minimum of 20), with more to come via updates! It's a multi-disciplinary game with loads of varied events and tracks.

So, stop by and check out the dev log :)

Cheers!

Karly Warly.

2. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Any chance to get a skyline?

3. POLYGAMe

Jul 3, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeah, not too sure about Skylines... possibly.

The game is mainly short course autocross/gymkhana, so the high spec cars are things like the WRC Ford Focus etc... Skylines are a bit... well... massive. Lol. Still, if any car is requested enough I'll put it in :)

Of course, all cars will be fantasy models that simply resemble real world cars in looks and performance, kinda like in GTA. I don't have licenses for real world vehicles and making up logos and names for the cars is too much fun, anyway :p

4. MikeNintendo

MikeNintendo Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Oh, great, i love games that were made to drive sideways :)

5. POLYGAMe

Jul 3, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Is there any other kind? Lol

6. MikeNintendo

Aug 6, 2013
    For drift - ye, played a few. Extreme garage: Drifter was recently released, ad there are few other games, can't remember the name :)

But still, there are no games for proper gymkhana.
    Waiting for Oversteer! :)

7. alex.d

alex.d Member

Dec 28, 2013
    So you guys gonna feed us with lots of IAPs? ;)

8. POLYGAMe

Jul 3, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Haha, I meant sideways is the only kind of racing worth doing :p

Yeah there'll be gymkhana as well as all sorts of other events, even drag racing, a la CSR.

But of course! Haha, actually, I've been doing a lot of research and playing heaps of stuff like RR3 and CSR so that I can get the balance right. I want to make it so that the entire game is free from beginning to end. The IAP will aid the player but I certainly won't be including any "pay walls". It certainly won't be as vicious as the majority of IAP games out there. I may not make as much money, but I'm only one guy, it doesn't have to go as far and I want to make a great game, not just a money making machine. Basically you'll be able to play through the game old-school style, saving up to buy new rides etc (like in Forza and GT), but if you are impatient, you can purchase new vehicles via IAP etc too (as well as other stuff).

In saying that, the game is being designed with a more "casual play" approach - quick levels, loads of variety. This is how I find myself playing those other games... In short bursts each day. It's actually pretty fun using timing strategy to avoid delivery and servicing timers etc. it's a racing game, but not in the traditional sense... More a bunch of challenges that cover a varied lot of racing styles/disciplines. Of course, if you want to sit there for hours at a time and play, you can do that too.

9. POLYGAMe

Jul 3, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Quick update on progress:

Have pretty much got my head around Blender and have finished the first car, just need to texture it now. Here it is without said textures (why the lights look bare etc).

Attached Files:

10. MikeNintendo

Aug 6, 2013
    Oh, sorry, my bad :)

11. POLYGAMe

Jul 3, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Quick update... another car finished! The first couple have taken a while due to me having to learn Blender and also... Christmas etc ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will keep popping back with updates :)

12. POLYGAMe

Jul 3, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
  13. MikeNintendo

Aug 6, 2013
    Nice little Mini, missed the post. And i just saw a jeep in your blog post :eek:

14. POLYGAMe

Jul 3, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    The Jeep is just a placeholder for now. I bought a bunch of models from the Unity asset store to use as my traffic but I'm not happy with them, so will model them myself :)