what hardware/osx do you use?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by cool mr croc, Jun 5, 2009.

1. cool mr croc

cool mr croc Active Member

May 27, 2009
    kind of a "oh dear" moment just now. i finished with uni today, rushed over to the games lab with gayfull glee to start looking at iphone sdk and objective c and all that, started reading the apple dev site and apprantly you need osx leapard to use it, the g3 imac i bought a little while ago only has osx 10.3.9 :(

is anyone developing on anything other than leopard? can it be done? is it possible to use a pc?

2. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

3G iMac? Whoa, we're talking about some seriously outdated hardware I'm afraid. You actually need an intel Mac + Leopard. As for PC, well there's always the legaly dubious Hackintosh-route, but I wouldn't recommend it personally.

Perhaps you could scrape together enough cash for a second-hand mac mini (Intel)?

3. cool mr croc

May 27, 2009
    **** **** and bollocks it all to buggery, you need an intel processer as well. thieving bastard apple ****s AARGRGRJHHGHHJJHSKFBskdblksdblksdbl :mad::mad::mad::mad:

4. NickFalk

I feel your pain man, but I don't think Apple's being particularly a*al in this respect. They anounced the transition to Intel 2005 and didn't open the iPhone developer program until 2008 and by then it was obvious that PPC was not a part of Apple's future.

Not that this helps you in any way what-so-ever. :eek: So, again sorry for your troubles...

5. Hippieman

Hippieman Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Senior Producer, Designer
    San Francisco
    Just grab a MacMini, it's brilliantly powerful and will run Xcode and everyone else you need just fine. It's probably 10 to 20 times faster than that G3 of yours (and man, the G3 was a brilliant computer).

6. nooobynick

nooobynick Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I have to agree with him not to try the hackintosh route unless you know your pc works with it, I didn't and my computer was broken for several weeks before I got it fixed, along with the fact that I lost everything I had on it except for what was on my ipod.

7. cool mr croc

May 27, 2009
    i have a pc up to spec sitting in the corner not doing anything so ill try the hackintosh first. i did just try to buy a mac mini but i wasnt allowed to get finance on account of being a student. i had no intention on using finance as i have the money but being denied just pissed me off so i didnt get it :p

8. Touchsmiths

Touchsmiths Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    iPhone Game Developer
    Richmond, VA
    We use a 2008 Mac Pro on Leopard 10.5.7.

9. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    I've had mixed experience with Hackintosh. I tried for a while to turn a relatively new Dell Inspiron Laptop into one. Got it sort of working (all but sound), got forced to update to the next version (10.5.5 I think) by the iPhone SDK's requirements which broke graphic acceleration and networking... The next day I went and bought a macbook.

Since then a close friend built a PC out of two year old bits that were a closer match to the hardware (Intel Motherboard chipset, the right sort of NVidia card etc.) and he got OSX running flawlessly with almost no hacking. It's also a lot easier if you have a little mac experience. Editing kext files wasn't a nice introduction to a new OS...

10. cool mr croc

May 27, 2009
    does anyone know if you can install the sdk on a portable drive on one mac, then use the hard drive on another mac and still be able to use the sdk? what if the instalation was done on a mini mac and the computers its used on after are imacs?

reason i ask is im getting a mini mac soon but i have people who would like to work on the projects that dont have macs, we do have access to new imacs at uni but they wont have the sdk. was thinking about using my mini mac and install the sdk on portable drives for them to use at uni.

possible? or do i have to write a grovelling letter to the IT department?

11. shodanng

shodanng Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    I'm using Hackintosh. Setting up a Hackintosh is not so difficult as you are a IT man. But what the most trouble thing is you cannot apply the OS update easily as a normal Mac user. Apple is something simple, Hackintosh is something trouble.

Now, my friend wanna to buy the new 13'' Macbook Pro and sell his old 13'' Macbook at arround $US 770 to me. His old 13'' Macbook actually is quite new and the spec has no big difference with the new 13'' Macbook Pro. The new feature of new 13'' Macbook Pro actually not affect the speed of the machine. I think Macbook is mach better than Mac Mini, because of the Mon, Camera and Multi-Touchpad. If I buy it I can leave the trouble Hackintosh and become a normal Mac user.:D

So, is there any problem in the whole development process when using a 2nd-hand Mac:confused:

12. NickFalk

Nope, as long as it's an intel-machine there are no problems.

13. shodanng

shodanng Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    thanks!!