If I like Mecho Wars, which games should I get next?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by MerkinBall, Aug 23, 2009.

1. MerkinBall

MerkinBall New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Hi everyone.

I just discovered Mecho Wars and I am hooked with it. It's my very first turn-based strategy game ever, havn't even played this style in my PC yet. So now I also want to try others but I don't know which to get next. I saw there's a Civilization one as well but looking at the youtube videos, it seems more boring (?). Please correct me if it's not. Should I get it? Any other games that I should consider as well?

Thanks in advance for the recommendations. :)

2. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    okay as of right now if you don't want to be dissapointed with your next one get civilization but its not for everyone as it is confusing, another alternative thats pretty good is war3100. The kings and uniwar are terrible in my opinion.

but in the first place I never really like mecho wars...too simplistic to my taste

3. MerkinBall

MerkinBall New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Wow, very quick reply. Thanks Mr skyye06.

Listing them down. If War 3100 is your favorite, I will check it out. :)

4. kingkong120

kingkong120 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Well the two biggest ones coming up are Rogue Planet and Battle of Wesnoth. I'm especially excited for Battle of Wesnoth. You can check it out in the upcoming games section. Its got so much stuff in it, you won't be needing another TBS for a long time. For now, I suggest Reign of Swords and Reign of Swords II, preferably the second one.

5. MerkinBall

MerkinBall New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Will list those upcoming ones. I hope they come soon.

It's great I can see Reign of Swords both have Lite versions. Will try them as well.

6. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Reign of Swords and Civ. are the next best. UniWar is also decent, but it gets kinda boring after a while.

7. MerkinBall

MerkinBall New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Hmmm 2 posts now with no Uniwar love. Will I avoid it then? Or just collect em all. :)

8. skyye06

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    uniwar is very lacking hated it, but I forgot reign of swords which is a very good game try the lite its really good. Theres not many tbs games htat are really good and battle for wesnoth and rougue planet wont come for a while so dont hold your breath to wait for them.

9. kingkong120

kingkong120 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Well if you like TBS games, then go ahead and collect them all. But once the big ones come out, they'll be much better than the others.

10. skyye06

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    +1 but they wont be here for awhile and most of the lacking ones are only a buck so why not

but i would have been best to go from the bad ones up to good so you wouldnt be dissapointed

11. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    UniWar is _great_, particularly if you have a 3G S; then, the AI slowdown won't affect you. It also has great multiplayer.

RoS Ep II is also a must buy. Note that it has an illogical interface and has a much steeper learning curve than e.g. Mecho Wars. See my just-published tips at http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=23014

12. Twazzock

Twazzock Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Wait for Rogue Planet, that game looks absolutely stunning.

13. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    I second War 3100! It's a well made TBS with a lot of depth. 24 Missions and 17 Unit types, that'll keep you busy for quite a while. Mecho wars is okay for a beginner, but imho should have been longer. Great graphics and very polished but really lacking in depth.

Let's not jump the gun on Rogue Planet and Battle of Wesnoth yet. From what I can recall, it's been a while waiting for Rogue. So like sky said, don't hold your breath just yet. It could be tomorrow, then again maybe October. We'll cross the bridge when we get there.

For now, check out War 3100. I have a feeling you'll like it if you're not yet ready for Civ.

Cheers!

14. bdegrande

bdegrande Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Civilization is the best. Tremendous depth of game play and a number of different ways to win.

15. dominator246

dominator246 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Seriously? No bfw? No to Rogue Planet. +1 to Battle For Wesnoth. That has more content than anything listed here

16. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Yeah I would wait for Battle for Wesnoth