NFS Shift REVIEW!!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by helmania, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helmania

helmania Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Yes I made a new thread so that all could see it and avoid this horrible game like the plague.

Now we all know how great NFS is on the 360. I was expecting somewhat of a similar experience, but this game is clearly junk.

Graphics: This area is very good. Nice detailed vehicles, tracks and such. I give it a 9.0

Sound: Sound is OK, nothing great especially when compared the thrilling Real Racing that's been out for over a year. 6.0.

Presentation: All around very nice presentation with clear menu system. No clutter to be found here. 8.0

Game Play: This is where it all goes down hill. The game not only runs terribly slow, and I do MEAN SLOW, that even when you are using the nitrous, the racers from Real Racing will appear like they are still moving faster. I played this game about 5 times non-stop, then I had to go and play Real Racing for just 5 minutes to really digest how awfully slow, uninspiring, soul-less, NFSS really is. It lags, chokes, and jerks up every 30 seconds. AI cars will suddenly accelerate (when you're catching up) with no apparent nitrous being used. The way you drive has no bearing on passing your AI opponents. So for example, if I'm close to an AI opponent and both of us are taking a corner, if I turn on the inside of the corner and the AI turns on the outside, I should pass the AI since I travel less distance by turning on the inside. But despite the AI making a long wide turn, it still holds its lead. 2.0

Final thought:

I own an iphone 3g and that is NO EXCUSE for NFSS to run so poorly and the AI to be this shallow. Buy at your own risk if you must, but if you already own Real Racing, I'd recommend just go back to playing that instead of making a purchase. Because the smooth and graceful motion of RR, mixed with some witty aggressive AI is not at all present here. At the end, I have to admit, I wasted $10.

Final Score: 4.75 (MEDIOCRE)

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    User reviews belong in the user review section.

3. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    that dude just got pwned!!

4. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    A. Wrong section

B. Were you really expecting to get a similar experience out of a handheld game that you got out of a console game? Really?

5. helmania

Dec 18, 2009
    No, not at all. Except I wasn't expecting it to be junk either. For $10, I at least was expecting it to be on par with the best racing game in the App store: The undisputed Real Racing.

6. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

Did you restart before playing?

7. zamansimba

zamansimba Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    im currently downloading shift

u gave me a sad

curse you

8. Aldex Oun

Aldex Oun Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Umm...welcome to Touch Arcade?

9. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    So far I like it more than RR, but we all have our opinions.

10. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Looks like you made this account just to express how much you hate Need For Speed: Shift.

11. helmania

Dec 18, 2009
    Thanks for the welcome alex. Random guy, yes, I did make this account in the hope of saving the rest of you $10 on this terible game. I feel taken and cheated by EA. I've been waiting for this game for weeks and now that it's finally out, a game that I've owned for over a year now is better than it.

A shame I tell ya!

12. Surfheart

Surfheart Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Australia
    You mentioned real racing 5 times in your post!

Seems suspicious...

13. WeskerWario

WeskerWario Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    -none at the moment-
    Florida
    Racing games FTW!

All I need to know is the main diffrences between Undercover and Shift.

14. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I thought Shift was awesome. Haven't had any issues in the week I've spent with it so far.

15. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Didn't RR come out in like June? How have you owned it for over a year?

16. helmania

Dec 18, 2009
    Yes I mentioned RR 5 times because I like to compare a new game with whatever has been out and considered the best of the genrer and with no debates, everyone will agree that RR has been the best racing game on the iphone. Many were expecting EA to change that with NFSS, sadly, they FAILED.

You know, I think I will stay with the $1 to $2 games mostly, cause these games tend to focus right on the fun factor and they tend to be much much more entertaining then those high price, boring games of late. Who can say Backbreaker, TapTap, OMG Pirates, ZombieVille, Uno, MiniSquadron, Inkvaders and FlightControl aren't very fun?

I just dont understand why can't those big games that cost big money do the same thing.

Oh well, I'm not ranting!

17. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Here's my view on the matter:

You are a Dou***, and:

Need for Speed: Shift >>> Real Racing

On so many levels.

I don't like you, because now a lot of people aren't going to buy this fantastic game because you are a DOU*** BAG!

Edit: No offence, or anything...

18. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Not really.

Some people prefer NFSU or Asphalt 5.

Especially if you like arcade racers more.

Nah, I doubt many(anybody?) will not buy the game because of one person saying they don't like it. Especially somebody who's new.

19. helmania

Dec 18, 2009
    You've already been playing Shit I mean Shift for a week! I was under the impression that it just came out today.

20. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yes you are