List Of Adventure Games (Part 2)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by PointOfLight, May 5, 2011.

1. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    As great as some of the modern adventure games are, there's something to be said about the classic Sierra franchises. I think I liked them even better than the LucasArts stuff, which was still pretty cool. It will be so nice to see some of these folks back in business, and touch screen devices are the perfect venue for this style of game.

2. paul.hendricks

paul.hendricks Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    #3162 paul.hendricks, May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012
    :). Thanks, I couldn't tell from your text. I do agree that a revival of the Sierra days would be outstanding (LucasArts too). Their back-catalog is ripe with franchises that need to be reimagined for today's technology.

3. webshark3

webshark3 Well-Known Member

May 10, 2010
    I was "strictly" Sierra when I was younger. I'm just now starting to enjoy other games like the Broken Swords and I'm on Monkey Island 2 right now. I can't believe how well made they are for the iPad. My favorite feature on MI is that you can swipe to get the old graphics instantly. It's like playing two games at once.

4. webshark3

May 10, 2010
    I understand. There's a very fine line between psychotic fans and developers touting their products. You can rest assured, I'm only psychotic. :D

5. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Well I feel much better now :rolleyes:

6. paul.hendricks

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    Now I can completely relate to psychoses about games! It is a time-honored tradition!:)

7. Btw, I finally finished the Hector trilogy. The last part took me much longer to get through bc I was kind of tired of the whole thing by then. Anyone else finish them?

8. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Enjoy. I also bought an iPad 2 recently and vow, it is a real game-changer :).

I know, right? I never used to play point and click adventure games on PC, but got into them hardcore on iOS. It is the whole portability thing, I guess.

Anyway, I am also now playing and loving Monkey Island 2. Couldn't get into it on iPod - graphics were just too small for me to easily notice all possible interactions. But I am adoring it on iPad.

It is a huge pity that Lucas Arts had changed it's business strategy yet again, so that there is no hope for official ports of anything else from their back catalog.

As far as I have heard nobody is porting Sierra games either... :(.

And generally, there seems to be a noticeable slowdown of iOS ports of old point-and-clickers, alas.

I am beginning to wonder if I'd have to use GoG.com + Scummvm iOS to continue to get my fix. Does Scummvm iOS work well enough for it to be enjoyable, I wonder?

9. webshark3

May 10, 2010
    I have iDOS for the older games, but haven't tried to load them yet. (evil grin). I would love to see the other MI and Broken Swords make it to iPad. But it looks like MI went the Telltale route. I have the first chapter but haven't played yet.

I think the challenge with Sierra games is licensing. Al Lowe got the rights back to Leisure Suit Larry, so it will be ported (successful Kickstarter). But I think Activision owns the rest. But the creators may be motivated to get the rights back if they see a strong interest in the games again. They're probably still stuck in that whole 80's logic that games should be profitable. lol

10. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I'm suddenly getting intrigued. I'll have to check out iDOS and ScummVM iOS. I didn't know either one existed. Do they require your machine to be jailbroken?

As for Sierra IP's, the company itself doesn't exist any more, does it? Isn't that one of the properties that Vivendi bought and then basically disposed of? I wonder who actually holds the rights to all those properties now.

11. webshark3

May 10, 2010
    Well, iDOS existed officially for a couple hours. :)
    http://toucharcade.com/2010/10/27/the-importance-of-idos/

I got it in that window, so I don't need to be jailbroken. It is Activision now that owns most of the rights from all the discussions.

wiki: "In 2008, Sierra parent company Vivendi Universal Games, which had since been renamed Vivendi Games in 2006, merged with video game publisher Activision to form the Activision Blizzard holding company. Vivendi Games ceased to exist and ownership of Sierra was transferred over to Activision. Later that year, Sierra was closed down for possible future sale."

12. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    In theory I would think that would actually be good, because right now Activision is sitting on a bunch of "dead" properties. I'm sure they'd be happy to sell them if given the opportunity.

13. TheMoonwalls

TheMoonwalls Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Just want to assure you - I'm still alive, and still working on the game - I have a little delay, because I'm still waiting for english translations.
    The game will be available in June for 100%.

While waiting for those translations, I finished new graphics for the New iPad resolution, and I will send updates very soon :)

Cheers!
    Marcin

14. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Would rather have it right than rushed :) Besides, it's not like you haven't given us enough other games to play in the mean time!

15. paul.hendricks

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    I posted about Cave Quest earlier in the week, and I have to say it is quite fun. It is a match-3 with cartoon-like graphics and has what I would call an "adventure-lite" game style as well. By that I mean that you find objects and store them in your inventory to use objects in other locations. It is not anything too taxing, but a nice addition to the match-3 gameplay. All-in-all, it is well worth the purchase.

16. paul.hendricks

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    I think some of you liked the Mystery Lighthouse game a bit back. It looks like the sequel is on its way (link goes to TouchArcade's Upcoming iPod games forum):

Mystery Lighthouse 2

17. Pepper2427

Pepper2427 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
    Good to hear as I really enjoyed the first one. Only gripe I had with it were the loading times between screens but other than that the puzzles were fab

18. webshark3

May 10, 2010
    Looks like it my be fun for my kids. Don't know enough about the game. The very few reviews are so-so. What's it really like?

19. Pepper2427

Pepper2427 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
    I enjoyed it. Puzzles are logical, nothing too taxing, quite short but the loading times between screens makes it feel a lot longer.

On another note, Softgamers is releasing another point n click game (thread in upcoming). He has some nerve after the dross that has been released so far

20. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    This is such a shame. Actually, the real shame is there would be such potential there if he'd get his act together.