Picross/nonogram games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by lena, Oct 30, 2013.

1. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Paint it Back seems to be quite well received, so I figured it might be nice to have a thread with Picross/nonogram game recommendations (both 2D and 3D). There are quite a few in the App store, but most of them do not look great.

If you recommend a game, it would be nice if you could say a bit about why you recommend it.

Personally, I'm looking for games that do not tell me if a move is wrong, I want to find that out for myself by getting stuck at some point :). All recommendations are welcome though.

2. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Piczle Lines and the Pathpix games.

Pixelogic is timed and penalises you when you click wrongly, which detracts from the zen of nonogram...

3. nemerleb

nemerleb Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    I've been a Picross addict for 5 years. You can download Logic Square for free (comes with ad banners) (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/logic-square/id432045052?mt=8). But the downloadable puzzles are sadly luck based to push you to use IAP which ruins the whole objective of the game. If anyone has CHALLENGING Picross games, please post it as I'm sck of cookie-cutter nonograms :p

4. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    In the game settings, there's an option to turn off "Feedback on Errors". Then you can feel free to make all the mistakes you want. ;-)

5. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    GridPix and GridPix 2 have HUGE pictures, but allow the user to select sections of their own size from 5x5 to 20x20. An interesting approach to the genre. No specific way of identifiying errors that I can tell. There are free versions to check them out.

6. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Ok, I will try toggling "Feedback on errors" in Pixelogic when I get home later.

7. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Thanks for the replies! I actually have iPacross, but didn't like it because of the error warnings. Had not yet noticed that the later levels do not have them. I now played one of them, and it's great. Nice size puzzle, nice difficulty, but I really don't like that it lets you overwrite a filled in square with a cross and vice versa because makes it really easy to make an unintentional mistake (because touch interfaces aren't that precise).

Will now check out the other games. Except Logic Square. Luck based picross with IAP to help sounds absolutely terrible.

8. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    That got rid of the annoying red crosses. Now how do I disable the timer in Pixelogic?

9. iPadisGreat

Dec 10, 2012
    Downloading the free version of GridPix HD to try out.

10. jarboo

jarboo Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    France
    Shady puzzles (by the creators of Pixel People) is my favorite.

It becomes really difficult in the later packs and uses a 3 layer guess system which is really nice.

You can try the lite version if you want but it's cheaper to buy the whole game instead of pack per pack

11. Dazzlemi

Dazzlemi Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
  12. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Paint it back is my favourite 2D picrossi
    Oh cube is my favourite 3D version, it's very polished and nintendoey

13. Dazzlemi

Mar 14, 2010
    Paint it back is also my favorite. I just can't seem to get enough puzzles.... Love that game. Oh cube isn't bad for a 3d picross.

14. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
  15. rawrmaan

rawrmaan New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Just wanted to add Falcross to this thread. Easily the best picross/nonogram on iOS: http://bit.ly/falcross

16. Dazzlemi

Mar 14, 2010
    Falcross is a good game. Interface ok. Daily puzzle. I can never seem to get more than 1 star. I just can't seem to do it that quickly.

17. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Pathpix is my go-to series for nonograms. Nonoku is quite a nice variation on the nonogram theme if you want something a little different.