Best day to release a game on IOS

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by derpderp, Apr 1, 2014.

1. derpderp

derpderp Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Hi,

I'm getting conflicting information about what is the best day to release an IOS game.

Some say Wednesday, others Thursday and some saying Sunday.

Opinions?

Thanks!

2. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    The Wednesday/Thursday thing is confusing... Because a when a game comes out on a Thursday it actually comes out on Wednesday (late in the evening)! So... I think the people who say it should come out on Wednesday and the people who say it should come out on Thursday are actually talking about the same day.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    If you look all the big game nights are always late Weds night. Essentially Thursday 00.00am.

Thats easily the best time

4. CrystalFortress

CrystalFortress Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2013
    I've release apps on a few different days and my best experience was with a Thursday Launch and worst with a Monday. Take from that what you will.

5. derpderp

derpderp Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Thanks for the info everyone!

6. optimizemyapps.com

optimizemyapps.com Active Member

Jan 10, 2014
    App Store Optimization Expert
    Well from the Data which I have seen, downloads of App's on App Store Spikes on Tue. So I would suggest Tue

7. DillweedLtd

DillweedLtd Member

Dec 28, 2013
    The norm for the big sellers is on Thursday (Wednesday 11:59)

8. shuer

shuer New Member

Apr 18, 2014
    student
    Hello

psj3809 may be right.:)

9. POLYGAMe

POLYGAMe Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Game Developer (iOS, Mega Drive, C64)
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Surely launching the same time as everyone else is a bad idea? Wouldn't it be better to be more easily found?

10. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I kind of feel this too, but I don't have any hard figures. Surely going up against big releases decreases your chance of interest and the new apps boost lasts the same length of time no matter when you release.

For someone small this is probably overated.

11. POLYGAMe

Jul 3, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeah, I really don't think it matters that much.

All I know is my action games have done horribly - all of them, yet my racing titles have both done pretty well... well enough to be able to keep going! I think creating games in genres where there is less competition is more important if you're after sales.

12. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    I think a significant factor in being easily found is being part of the list of new games that toucharcade releases Wednesday night. If a game is not on that list, there's a good chance I won't know it was released.

13. POLYGAMe

Jul 3, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    My games have been on that list several times... didn't help with downloads at all. The TA community is incredibly tiny when compared to the amount of iOS devices being used out there. It's still nice to get the recognition, though ;)

14. tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg Member

Sep 16, 2009
    In theory yes. However if you are in the top of any category on a Friday you will stay over the weekend as results are not recalculated until Monday for the top apps. Therefore building up some steam right before the weekend is ideal.

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Many games released in the week just seem to disappear. However 'release wednesday' is very popular not just on this site but other iOS sites i've seen.

I would 100% release on a weds (or 12am thurs) if you know what i mean.

16. Hollow Threat

Hollow Threat Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Artist
    NZ
    I'm releasing my new game next tuesday, didn't really consider which day of week is best when I select that day, just enough time for me to prepare a video and send out few emails, will see how that goes...(from the read of this thread, tuesday seems pretty bad :eek:)

17. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix

I think it kind of works for and against you. I think hardcore gamers are looking for new games on that thursday. I think the press sites are looking to review new games that are released that day too. The best you can do is lineup your release on a weak thursday (when not many big games are being released). This is my plan anyways so i will let you guys know how it goes. I am planning for may 8th fingers crossed.

18. Hollow Threat

Hollow Threat Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Artist
    NZ
    I'll share my tuesday release experience, just released my free game Donut Pirate, with no game review sites pick up, and no paid marketing, I got about 370 download for day one, not sure its good or bad, lower than my expectation but I probably have lots to learn in marketing area.

19. TheGreatWhiteApe

TheGreatWhiteApe Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Games Designer, animator, writer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Tuesday

I'd say launch Tuesday, gives the app time to climb the charts before you hit the weekend. Apple tend to refresh the featured lists on thursdays, so you need to be in for at least a couple of days to be picked up.

20. Hollow Threat

Hollow Threat Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Artist
    NZ
    wonder how they pick features, it seems if apps not being featured, its almost impossible to get awareness