Mobile Games Start 2.0 Age of In-app Purchase

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by roger0220, Jul 23, 2013.

1. roger0220

roger0220 Member

Jul 23, 2013
    July 18th, the highly anticipated big game, Plants VS.Zombies 2 (PVZ2) was simultaneously released in the world. As Popcap’s first released game after EA bought Popcap, it had been highly anticipated by innumerous players. Since the debut of Plants VS. Zombies, this series has attracted tons of fans. So I believe many players have highly anticipated Plants VS. Zombies 2 just like me.
    However, the in-App Purchase system of PVZ2 is not so satisfying even though the game introduces new plant boost items and zombies. It is very disappointing that there is no new gameplay in PVZ2. You can do nothing new but explore new worlds and defeat zombies endlessly, again and again. However, the in-App Purchase systemof PVZ2 is more disappointing. PVZ2 is free to download, but different from PVZ, PVZ2 introduces 6 special plants which can only be bought by $4.19 each. Because of these special plants, the game’s total revenue in only half a month was over 1 million dollars. So amazing!
    [​IMG]
    Now players can spend cash to buy gold, upgrade plants, buy plants, and so on. Many other game developers have found the new business opportunities of in-App Purchase, too. A new age of in-App Purchase has started. Now let us glance at some games with the similar in-App Purchase system.
    Game 1: Candy Crush
    This leisure mobile game developed by King has been listed on the top 5 of the most popular games for half an year. It’s said its monthly revenue is over 10 million dollars. It is really a pretty good game. I believe most of those who have ever played it like it very much, and the game’s in-App Purchase system is very formidable. In the game, you can either spend time patiently in finishing the levels or buy premium items instead to reduce the difficulty in finishing the levels. Candy Crush is definitely a top-class game especially in game-play, social intercourse and player interaction. However, its premium items are incredibly costly. That’s why its monthly revenue is over 10 million dollars.
    [​IMG]
    Game 2: Trouble of Caveman
    Trouble of Caveman is a Metek developed leisure game set in ancient tribes. In the game, you will play the chieftain of an ancient tribe to clear stages, earn experience points and gold, and cultivate pets. The game follows the core gameplay of Triple Town, featuring a relaxing gaming environment. It also offers premium items, pets, equipment upgrade, and so on. It has been very popular since its debut. It is absolutely an excellent game with a new-age in-App Purchase system.
    [​IMG]
    Game 3: Clash of Clans
    This classical game has been listed on the most popular games board for over 1 year. Countless game developers have been duplicating it because of its astonishing originality. Clash of Clans perfectly integrate development, manipulation, management, occupation and defense elements into a whole, featuring a fun and exciting game world. Its in-App Purchase system is a good new-age system, too. Each time the game is updated, a rich variety of new premium items will be available. And these items can help players a lot.
    [​IMG]
    In short, games are commercial products and game developers always hope users to spend more cash in buying premium items as soon as possible. The start of the new age of in-App Purchase system is just to satisfy the growing needs of those who wish to spend less time but more money in game. Perhaps it is a golden business opportunity. However, game developers should not attach more importance in benefits than the game itself. After all, no one is glad to play a terrible game, not to mention buy premium items in a game they consider terrible.

2. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Wrong forum section.

Also, wrong website to write a 'freemium is great' article.

3. roger0220

roger0220 Member

Jul 23, 2013
    :):):)
    OMG.maybe i am wrong

4. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    Thanks for the write up. I found it interesting to read another view and a fresh kind of comment on IAPs. Even if I do not like the business model, I completely understand the reasoning.

At times I seem to be the only one enjoying RR3. ;)