ZYNGA waves the white flag at struggle with small developers!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by DJ Specs, May 12, 2011.

1. DJ Specs

DJ Specs New Member

May 12, 2011
    Hi everybody!

I'd like to tell you interesting news.

Did you see last updates from ZYNGA Poker app for iPhone/iPad?

This is for those, who didn’t see it. ZYNGA changed UI at their app. In particular, you can see some new elements such as «Progress bar», «Check box» and «Raise». Form of avatar and quite a quite a few other minor elements were changed.

And now… Attention! Practically the same UI was highly appreciated by gamers as far back as last year! It was implemented in Pokerist.com application for iPhone by one little-known developer (here’s screenshot: http://www.flickr.com/photos/62747150@N05/5713931882/in/photostream). After entering the market of iPhone apps in the fall 2010, Pokerist.com took a leading position in AppStores top downloads which it still keeps top mark at the poll number.

ZYNGA copy this UI for own app half a year later. So, I can draw conclusion that ZYNGA public confessed and confirmed that little-known companies, as developer of Pokerist.com able to create more practical UI, than all ZYNGA 's staff.

P.S. Many people hold that plagiarism is commonplace for market of social games. And ZYNGA met with similar situation some time ago too. Then, if you remember, PlayPhone took as a basis ZYNGA’s UI for their poker (http://www.flickr.com/photos/62747150@N05/5713932044/in/photostream/). I can consider theft from small companies (example, problems with finance). But as for big developers… I think plagiarism is serious problem in this case.

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    you again with your pokerist app and bad zynga copying you gui..

we already had this covered.. is there a need to repreat the same discussion again?

3. Dude, let it go! There is absolutely nothing you can do about it anyway.

From what I see in iTunes, you have the #1 TOP GROSSING APP in the whole US app store!

I would love to have Zynga copy one of my games if it meant I could have the top grossing app.

You've had your little public rant twice now. Hopefully it felt good, but seriously, just let it go and enjoy your success. You'll be much happier. :)

4. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

Go sue!!$$$

5. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    poor top grossing indie who gets scammed by zynga.. so even millionaires of the app store can be crying children..

i even find this worser than zynga borrowing some gui elements.

6. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    More like...poor indie dev (who is at number one by the way) wants more cash, so they whine about the fact that every single poker app has the same exact layout. :\

"Holy crap! We used a circle and they did too! It looks completely different otherwise, but...it must be plagiarism."

7. imjameshall

imjameshall Member

May 4, 2011
    Right.

Its like... poker only works with a circle table.

Thats like getting mad at twitter for creating their status updates ina table...

how else would you do it!

8. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

I'm going to make a poker app at a 14' rectangular table and half the game will be navigating your player around as they deal cards

9. plooper

plooper Well-Known Member

May 6, 2011
    Defender of Earth
    Mars
    Angel cash

Good for you!
    Make sure its a pretty freaking simple app

10. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    Why not make a poker app from the dealers perspective. You have to shuffle the cards and deal them out and flick them just right to the players at the table, or they take out a gun and shoot you.

11. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

Hah! Strangely I bet it'd be popular