Thoughts on this Advertisement

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by jDun1212, Mar 21, 2012.

1. jDun1212

jDun1212 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

I worked up this advertisement the other day and have both a coming soon version and then a more informational, larger version.

I think its pretty good, not perfect though. I'm sorta stuck on what to do with them now... maybe someone could give some advice?

I was thinking post them in forums, but where? maybe here obviously. I was thinking maybe I could ask some people to tweet it? Again, maybe but would anyone care about the coming soon version?

Let me know what ya'll think! Thanks :)

2. metalbean

metalbean Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2012
    wonderful,looks good~

I'd say just do one for your official launch. Unless you are a big titled game, people are just not bothered to wait.

Also, may I suggest changing the background color to something lighter to bring out the attention to the chess/scrabble.

3. First impressions looks like it will be a Scrabble clone. Is it?

4. jDun1212

Feb 2, 2012
    MetalBean:Thanks for the compliment!

I will work on the background to bring out the tiles, but i am trying not to make it too 'cartoony' looking, but i can see where they dont stand out enough!

What about using the 'Coming Soon' ad to point to a twitter feed or maybe make a facebook page that people could like for updates? I would like to find a way to generate some interest in it before release day, but i get that people dont really care about small app releases...

30BelowStudios: It's modeled after scrabble but shares almost no gameplay similarities.
    I'm gonna pull the iPad version and fix some issues and then release both iPhone and iPad at the same time again.

Check out the iPad Version here.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_Xd1aAbYfE

5. I see now. It's a bit like a word tetris game from the video.

The reason I thought it was a Scrabble clone was because of the letter tiles as well as the colored tiles which look like the Scrabble bonus squares. Would it be tacky to put a short catch line or something below your app name? I love word games but the last thing I want to play is another Scrabble clone. Your game does look different and probably something I would want to try but I have no way of knowing that at first glance.

6. metalbean

metalbean Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Most of us indie developer wants to get more attention, but really in today's world too many ads are seeking attentions, whether it's novel, movies or games.

I like the idea of poster and might actually do one myself and link it to my twitter and facebook page. But I'd push for the poster only when my app is launched. "coming soon" seems to be too far-fetched for an app "out now" should be better. IMO :)

7. jDun1212

Feb 2, 2012
    Thanks guys! I totally see your point about no one wants to wait for a coming soon sorta thing. I may try to make this the introduction screen to the game, and maybe if i can make it animated i could stick it at the end of the commercial or something.

8. seepel

seepel Member

Mar 11, 2011
    I guess I'll reiterate what's already been said, but from the image you showed I get "This is Scrable". I kind of like the idea of a catch phrase to let you know it's not what your thinking, like "This ain't your grand mother's word game!". Though obviously not that...

It could be catchy to have the image bring them in saying "Oh this is a familiar word game." And at the same time having some text or even additional graphics saying "Oh but it is abit more intense than that!"

9. jDun1212

Feb 2, 2012
    I agree, I have a version of the ad that has different copy(text). I was thinking something like, "Swap. Select. Swangle." for the tag line. thoughts?