Dragon Island: Monster Naming Contest!

Discussion in 'Promo Codes and Contests' started by Greyhoundgames, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Greyhoundgames

Greyhoundgames Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2009
    #1 Greyhoundgames, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
    Looking for Beta Testers Now! Please follow instructions on our upcoming thread.
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=113111

Welcome to the Dragon Island Monster Naming Contest!
    Dragon Island is a unique new RPG coming to the iPhone in the next few months. We have a ton of monsters in this game and would like to ask the community to help us pick names for some of them. We have iTunes gift cards as prizes for the best names on some of our special boss monsters and will also be giving spots in our beta! If this sounds like an interesting contest to you, then keep reading.

[​IMG]

Dragon Island combines some new gameplay mechanics combined with some familiar ones to create a fresh RPG experience that is unlike any other RPG we have played. Here are some examples of some new and existing ideas blended together.

*Build an army of monsters from over 200 creature types that you can collect throughout the world

*Plan your "batting order" so that your monsters enter battle when they are needed most. Battle takes place in 3vs3 fights but when either side loose a monster, a new monster can enter the fight from their batting order!

*Random encounters have been completely redesigned. Instead of walking around and bumping into monsters without any choice, you can see enemies on the world and in dungeons. When you run back to town to heal up, everything respawns and dungeons are recreated with a new random layout.

*No healing spells!! Yes thats right, health is a precious commodity. This ties into the above point. How far you can stretch your monsters will determine what treasures you can discover, and what new monsters you will uncover.

*Find waypoints and new towns to use as save points so you don't have to re-clear content you have finished.

*Find treasure, new monsters, and quests on a gigantic world map that covers 16 iPhone screens and has hundreds of places to visit including dungeons!

*Defeat special monsters and claim their spirit totems to summon them in battle. They will fight, get hurt, and
    get more powerful the more they are used!

*Find recipes to combine 2 monsters into something, or evolve your monsters.

Dragon Island combines console rpg combat like that seen in Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy with monster collection similar to Pokemon, and adds the above elements to create something entirely unique.

Ok now for the contest details!
    We would like help naming some of our dragon overlords. Each overlord controls a world map section and if defeated offers something awesome. We have 16 dragon overlords and are going to offer prizes for naming 4 of them. Each prize will be a $10 iTunes gift card.

As a followup we will also be naming lots of other monsters with your help but there are too many to offer gift cards for each one.

We will collect name ideas and then post a winner after enough time has passed and then post the next dragon needing a name. The only restriction is names cannot be too long because of iphone screen size restrictions. About 14 characters (including spaces) would be limit. If there is an awesome name we can see about adjusting font size but we want it to be easy to read.

Without further delay here is the fourth dragon overlord(third contest is finished). There is a dragon overlord for each section of the world map. We want them to have proper names like monsters in other rpgs like Bahamut etc.

This scary fellow doesn't reside in the normal dragon hideouts like caves. No you will have to enter the watery realms to find him!
    Overlord #3
    [​IMG]

Game Info
    Name: Dragon Island
    Publisher NTT Resonant
    Developer Greyhound Games
    Release Date:End of 2011/Early 2012

2. littlezoe

littlezoe Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Lucid Dreamer
    In your dreams
    Wow.. the pictures look really nice and detailed ^^

3. hapaninja

hapaninja Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Art Director for Soma Games and Code-Monkeys
    Portland, OR
    #3 hapaninja, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
    It would be great to see some gameplay, but I agree the art is fantastic!

4. Greyhoundgames

Aug 5, 2009
    Hey. I don't have a lot of the final art for non monster things so I am unable to make a movie. I can probably make a world map exploration screenshot. I will look into that.

5. vernalequinox

vernalequinox Active Member

Oct 17, 2011
    That seems like an awesome concept. Have been waiting for people to create this kind of monsters game for a while now. Hope that you get the formula right.

Anw, on to the contest, I think Xiuhcoatl is a suitable name for Fred. It's got the look of a fire-breathing dragon and that's what Xiuhcoatl exactly means.

6. iANiMeX

iANiMeX Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Male
    Bum
    Philippines
    I love RPG games and definitely will have this one on my watchlist.

Name of Fire Dragon: XIUHCOATL or Fire Dragu

Name of Water Creature: Water Drake

Name of Blue Ghost: Death's Knight or Soul Knight

Name of Armored Thing: Death's Armor or Armorus

Name of Croco Man: Kroko

7. trollface

trollface Member

Oct 10, 2011
    #7 trollface, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
    Name of Fire Dragon: Dragneel or Salamander

Name of Water Creature: Blue Falco

Name of Blue Ghost: Death Sader / Spartan

Name of Armored Thing: Grimoire

8. SuperMexican

SuperMexican Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Athlete at Nike Factory Kansas City
    Kansas City, Kansas
    i have a quick question about the gameplay, will u be able to walk around like in pokemon, and see the monsters battle or is it more like an imafia type game?

9. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Fred:
    Kaji (means "uncontrolled fire" in informal Japanese), or
    Smoulder.

Water creature:
    Lithe

Blue Ghost:
    Lost Soul

Armored Thing:
    Bane

Croco man:
    Fang

10. Greyhoundgames

Aug 5, 2009
    @SuperMexican There is no online component. You can walk around the world map, fight battles, enter dungeons etc. This is not like some of those online rpgs where they play out in real time.

Some good names coming in. Keep it going! Ask any other questions you guys would like. The game is 90+% coded.

11. adamans

adamans Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Dir. of Communications at Code-Monkeys & Soma Game
    Oregon
    Name of Fire Dragon: Alabaster

Name of Water Creature: Abyssan

Name of Blue Ghost: Mist Strider

Name of Armored Thing: Centurio

12. Yeater42

Yeater42 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    #12 Yeater42, Oct 26, 2011
    Looks awesome!

Question 1 the games your mentioned it will be like are 3D, so my question is, will the fighting be 3D? and if so will the moves look different?

Question 2 Could multiplayer battles ever be a possibility?

13. LuckyLuke88

LuckyLuke88 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Name of Fire Dragon: Arkanis / Mythrillon / Hornig

Name of Water Creature: Shiveron / Browdosol

Name of Blue Ghost: Abomination / Ritorment / Acolyte

Name of Armored Thing: Kedurau / Cult Tutor

Name of Croco Man: Crocosol / Crocopatra / Chaknoris (LOL)

14. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    Name of Fire Dragon: Claw.

Name of Fire Dragon #2: Draak (Afrikaans for Dragon)

Name of Water Creature: River Dragons.

Name of Blue Ghost: Death-Knight.

Name of Armored Thing: The Daarg.

Name of Croco Man: Lord Masha.

15. dreadnok

dreadnok Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum I'm ou
    Fred should be called Theokoles or Nahuatl meaning "fire serpent" or "weapon of destruction."

Water Creature APALALA or LEVIATHAN:

Blue Ghost: Strife or Gannicus

Armored Thing:: Steel Titan

Croco man:Kantaro

16. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Oh, another game by GHG. I know this isn't the same genre as GemCraft, but I always look forward to a developer's new games if I enjoyed their previous ones. So I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for any updates that you might be willing to share with us.

17. Greyhoundgames

Aug 5, 2009
    @Yeater42 there is no 3d graphics. Battles will be visually similar to phantasy star but mechanics wise more like a modern rpg with time based attacks.
    Multiplayer battles are def a possibility that we would like to do but not for initial release. It would depend on the games success as thats a big task.

@Dazarath nice to see somebody who recognized me :) The other iphone games I have worked on include GemCraft, Protector: The Planes, Warlords: Call To Arms and Legendary Wars.

18. Nicoquipi

Nicoquipi Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    #18 Nicoquipi, Oct 26, 2011
    Name of Fire Dragon: Dunumen - Iudor Dybaibar

Name of Water Creature: Escaryon

Name of Blue Ghost: Souldrinker - Legionnaire

Name of Armored Thing: Dullahan - Coleoptero

Name of Croco Man: Yacare (southamerican croc)

Looks good, any chance of an ipad version?

19. Greyhoundgames

Aug 5, 2009
    Yes there will def be an ipad version at launch.

20. Greyhoundgames

Aug 5, 2009
    I have updated the initial post with names that I liked from the ones provided so far. Feel free to vote on existing ones if you like them and don't want to suggest a new one, or both. If your name wasn't picked it may mean there is something specific that blocked me from using it. Example we already have a monster named abomination.