Universal Growtopia (by Ubisoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jan 10, 2013.

1. repapermunky

repapermunky Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I am in total agreement with this. Trading the way it is already is ESSENTIAL to the gameplay of Growtopia. It is a matter of trust, just as in reality! A trading system would almost be a game breaker. The only interest then would be growing and mixing seeds, and, that alone, is simply boring. It's a popular game and players love it. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" - Unknown. Keep it as is. Although a few players will complain, people complain about RL theft as well and don't get deported from a country for it! I advise against, I beg Seth. He had it right from the start on this subject. We will see what happens.

To all players: As it was stated before, only trade with someone you absolutely trust. This doesn't mean someone who was nice to you in game for one day; this means someone who you've known in game for weeks and would be willing to share anything with them, even if they didn't trade back. Because that's the risk you take anyway. Just be smart. And check the official Growtopia forums for known scammers and trusted people alike. Good luck to you all!

2. Seil

Seil Growtopia Seed Master

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    I was on the same side. And still am to an extent. But, a large number of players are pro-trading system, even the ones that accept having been scammed.

You also have to think from the point of view of the devs. Most people that get scammed are players who have spent money and are willing to spend money. This is required for the game to continue on. Giving those people less reason to play and socialize isn't going to help anything.

In the end, despite the game being built so heavily around player choice, and scamming being part of that, it makes the game a lot less fun for a huge portion of the player base.

Right now, it's easy to assume that far more than half of trade offers are scams. People want to be able to trade. But they can't, because generally they just lose their items. This just causes a whole lot of problems in the social aspect of the game.

3. If you want to know scammers, then go onto the Growtopia forums or go on Mewoko's world Scammers...nowadays on the game, I like to overlook different trades in the game, seeing if any of the people in the trade is a scammer...I might get an account on the Growtopia forums to help get attention of different scammers

4. repapermunky

Aug 29, 2012
    #264 repapermunky, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
    This opinion is valid (everyone's is) and I also must agree with this. But in MY opinion, if a trade system IS added, something else must be added to balance it out, you know? So that Iap consumers may be fairly paid amd still have the game be a fantastic freemium. There are plenty of ways to go about it, but it all depends upon what the devs decide upon, and we are all eager to find out what that is! I know I definitely am!! We shall see!

5. Seil

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    It's not as though scamming is the only way to get good items without paying. I farm almost all of my items myself, and I've only ever traded a couple of times.

I have received some donations, but those go toward researching for the Seediary.

I've spent $10, but that went toward inventory space instead of items, haha.

And once people get in the groove with farming, earning gems becomes extremely easy - as does obtaining more seeds for higher items.

Adding a trading system isn't going to break the great free model the game has.

6. Cropod

Cropod New Member

Nov 20, 2012
    S.C.H.O.O.L
    Minecraft
    I guess Growtopia just isn't a game I can fully enjoy I guess... Thank you both for replying though. I do hope some sort of trade system is being developed.

7. Seil

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    As of last night, the news popup begins with:

"Ok, it's now official, we are adding an [color=#00DD0]in-game trading system[/color]. Until then, remember, only trade with people you trust. We do not ban scammers or replace items, it's considered part of the game.

But scammers beware, @HeroMan appears when least expected, and man, he brings the pain. So scam at your own risk."

8. repapermunky

Aug 29, 2012
    Oh, I'm not at all saying it will ruin the game! I'm just saying it might lose some interest, but it will likely gain other interest.

9. Jordanrracer

Jordanrracer Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Currently -Nothing-
    New York
    #269 Jordanrracer, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
    I have a big problem, I keep getting disconnects every minute. It's really annoying. Anyone got a solution?

Edit, fixed it :).

10. Jordanrracer

Jordanrracer Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Currently -Nothing-
    New York
    Maybe there needs to be a trading system actually. I can't even trade without someone saying "scammer" because they want to get my items first before we trade.

Haha, I only made one successful trade so far though.

By the way, Seil, do you have a spare Rocket/Wings or World Lock to give away? I don't got any of these items yet and it's hard to obtain them! :(

11. Seil

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    Sorry, I don't right now. Especially not a spare world lock haha, I only buy those when I require them =p

I'm currently working on increasing my general seed stock as the Seediary is officially up to date. Soon I'll probably be more active and working on challenge maps and giving away prizes and stuff like that.

12. repapermunky

Aug 29, 2012
    I believe it's actually been announced, a trading system. So, it will be coming. We all just have to be patient. I think Seil said something along the lines of "wait for now, and be careful who you trade with until it happens." (paraphrased) Wise words, indeed.

13. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Today was a good day. I harvested my art wall tree a few days ago, and I placed them on my house.. I wasn't sure why orange wall was so hard to make, and then today I accidentally punched it and............ DUN DUN DUUUUNNN
    the wall turned pink! My life is complete! I can finally make my pink bedroom.

Woooot. Seth you legend <3333

14. Seil

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    Haha, I remember when I had just discovered the Art Wall when it came out. And I spent like 3k gems insta-growing a tree because I was intrigued. Someone else was there and I placed it and we were both just like "wow..."

A yellow background... the power of RAINBOWS and it gave a yellow background?!....

So then later I was about ready to break the thing to see if I'd get a seed, and boom, it changed color. And suddenly I was like O_O

I do wish it had more colors though =/

15. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Heh yeah that exactly what happened to me..I was also curiously intrigued by the art wall.. I planted one asap and I sprayed it with a few grow sprays too :) I was confused when I saw the yellow because I was wondering the same, the power of rainbows thing :p.. Then one day I grew sick of the yellow wall and decided to try to harvest a seed atleast. Then I got the best shock of my growtopia life to see pink ^_^ I wonder if it was hidden like that on purpose.. An undercover pink operation for the ladies and maybe flamboyant men?. More colors would have been awesome but I can understand why not.. More punching would be at risk of breaking the wall, and a lot of players would whinge if they did.. I'm happy enough with pink :)
    A wallpaper or block that changed all colors of the rainbow would have been sooo good for pixel art though.. But the blocks are already perfect for pixel art.. (I'm sure that was why blocks are in every hue)
    I'm really happy about the earrings too, just a small way girls can distinguish ourselves from the boys.

Seth you are the bomb! (.com)

Growtopia just keeps getting better and better. Been addicted for 3 weeks. I don't think I've ever played an iOS game that long. I'm infatuated. If Seth was single I'd eat him right up with a spoon ^_^

16. Tannorexic

Tannorexic Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in the spiritual realm
    Leave me a slice?

Bahahhahahah na I'm joking. While they're both strapping young lads, They are both married, that's kinda disrespectful.
    It's nice to admire creative intelligence though. I think you want to erm,eat? the game, not the man. It's like groupies who love the music and mistake that infatuation for the lead singer.

Anyhooo. Valentines day update very soon. Woo hoo. :)

We need to revive this thread.

17. Seil

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    Indeed, Valentine's event is coming! And trading system is coming to iOS soon. Just waiting for Apple to approve 1.09.

18. D-Vader

D-Vader Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    America
    #278 D-Vader, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
    Valentine's event has started. The only thing I've seen so far is things like "ex1guy is now ex1girl's valentine!" People seem pretty excited though. I don't know how to become anyone's valentine. I'm running iOS. Can anyone confirm if it's for Android only ATM?

EDIT: Apparently the Valentines stuff is in the store. Gonna buy some gems for this.

EDIT2: Valentines goodies are 300. They come with random valentines stuff. I've gotten Angel Wings, Heart Candies, Perfume, and Valentines.
    Angel Wings have the same effect has Fairy Wings. They look more masculine too.

19. Seil

Aug 30, 2012
    US
    Some worlds are having crystals replace some Rocks, too. Which provide a free source of stuff.

I don't know how any of this stuff works quite yet haha.

20. D-Vader

D-Vader Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    America
    #280 D-Vader, Feb 10, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
    So an update just got pushed. Valentines goodies are 1,000 gems now. Also a new Gangland Style pack for 5k gems. I bought it. I'm a gangster now.

EDIT: Seil, the recipes for the items are Space-Time Rupture + various other things. None of the second things are very rare.