iPhone Ipad games invade the store

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Aspargusman, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aspargusman

Aspargusman Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    I'm simply flabbergasted by the variety of ipad games just being launched (eg. Super monkey ball sakura edition, gameloft, etc) be ready to empty your wallets, cuz they cost a lot more!!

2. iFanzine

iFanzine Well-Known Member

Anyone that can afford an iPad can afford to pay a little extra for games ;)

3. Harpgliss

Harpgliss Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

I have seen this over the last few days.

My opinion is that some developers are in for a rude awakening with both price and maybe not enough improvements in the Ipad versions for two versions of their app being available.

I am all for developers making money and do not complain about prices but the double dipping without really making the app worth the double purchase that is going on from some developers, is frustrating.

For me, I juust plan to stop buying apps for now, and see how things shake out in the next few months.

Some of these Ipad versions are amazing and look to be worth buying but consumers only have so much money to spend and will likely only buy one version of these apps.

Looking forward to seeing some reviews of these once the Ipad is out.

David

4. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure some of these apps will fail, initially, seeing as the devs haven't been able to test their apps on the actual device meaning that they cannot perfect the controls and the performance.

5. 

 Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2010
    The problem for me is I will not buy two different versions if the same app.
    I have many of the apps that they are now coming out with ipad versions of, and I don't see the point in buying the same app again only for more than I originally bought it for.

I cancertaunly see if an app used more of the ipad functionality and was created around it's UI in more of a unique way but just HD isn't nearly enough to justify buying and app again when I already have it.

My point is almost every game should be able to play on ipad I terms of HD by way of optimization from the device itself not from the developers end.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

You can do screen scaling natively.

7. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    Yeah. But that is the same iPhone app just stretched for free. The smart games are updating/making it dlc to have a nicer strecthed to ipad fit. Because I'm with the rest of you! Just because I'm buying a $500 device, dikes not mean I have all the money I need. If it's the same app with everything the same but graphics, well then why would I buy it again for $10??

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Developers should be forced to dance for my pocket change!!!

Just wait a month, I'm sure the iPad App Store pricing will get burnt to the ground just like the iPhone.

9. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Yeah and apparently (according to STP) normal apps look really bad when they are upscaled on the iPad.
    If you own the game for iPhone/iPod Touch then you should at least get a discount when you get the iPad version.

10. eXistenT

eXistenT Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Germany
    th game from ipad now appears on developed itunes page

11. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    wow.....jelly car 2.....raging thunder 2...seems like every game is coming to the ipad

12. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I'm not gonna mention something that, apparently, I always mention. Not directly anyway.

I'll just state this:

if HD upgrades are all it amounts to currently, then it would've been a better option to allow for said HD upgrades to be played on an actual friggin' HDTV.

But there would have to be a product that it made sense to do that with...one that hooks up to HDTVs. Hmmm...I wonder....

Anyway...it's early. The games will amount to HD upgrades of iPhone/touch games for now. There will come a time when there are exclusives, as I gather such things may be in the works already from overzealous developers who have high hopes that iPad will do iPhone/touch numbers. And then...and then it will revert back to the former, and then, eventually, even later, as the market shakes out, you'll see even the "HD" versions of iPhone/touch games trickle down to a minimum. Such is what will happen when the base of the iPad consumer market is revealed to skew older than the iPhone/touch platform proper, a consumer market that is not "big" into games.

13. Aspargusman

Aspargusman Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    there's even a super monkey ball 2 - sakura edition

14. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    Do not rebuy "HD" iPad games. Force developers to drop there prices!

15. robotsvswizards.com

robotsvswizards.com Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Game Development, Music
    CA, USA
    #15 robotsvswizards.com, Apr 1, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
    "developers should have to dance for my change"

lol... As a developer dancing for your change would be much easier.
    Most of us haven't slept in a week with the short time we had. Sure everyone here's about the killings people make in the app store but noon brags about when they spend 600 hours on an app only to make 34.50.

I cant speak for everyone but, I for one have not and do not plan to upsize any of my current apps.
    I am starting fresh for ipad apps since most of the other stuff was built with a tiny screen in mind.

16. Black Hive Media

Black Hive Media Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
  17. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    I doubt that the iPad will fall into the same abyss as, say, the Apple TV.
    :)

18. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I thought the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad already did that? :confused:

[​IMG]

19. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Yeah, they did, but apparently it isn't very good. All you can do is watch video and view photos, you can't use it to browse the web or play games.

I would love it if Apple came out with a cable that I could connect my TV and iPhone together where whatever is displayed on my iPhone is displayed on the TV. Playing games would be awesome.

20. Harpgliss

Harpgliss Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    #20 Harpgliss, Apr 2, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
    Hi,

Been looking throught the new Ipad apps today and am not totally impressed by the offering so far.

Yes, there are some that look like they have been totally redone for the Ipad but then there are a bunch that appear to be just the same game, larger graphics.

The former have a good chance to get my money but the latter ones will have a hard time getting customers to buy their app or game for the Ipad if they have previously bought it.

Not interested in developers dancing for my money, as Hodapp posted, but I am not going to be just throwing money after essentially the same app twice.

I just am not seeing a compelling reason to double dip here, based on the apps and games announced to date.

There are some exceptions though, as always.

Gonna be an interesting couple of months as the market and developers measure each other out.

David